New to the forums. Would like some help!

[An...]

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums. I am prescribed 1.5mg clonazepam (.5mg 3x daily) and have taken only 1mg daily (I've only taken a full 1.5mg maybe 10 times) for the past 12 months.

I would like to taper off of this medicine as I don't find it to be effective anymore and I don't want to go up in dosage. I am terrified of withdrawals and am unsure as to how to approach this.

One of my best friends is a Psychiatrist (who is very sensitive to benzo use) and she says I can try to reduce by .25mg a week until off but to back off is this is too quick. Any advice is welcome as my actual psychiatrist doesn't seem interested in assisting or providing guidance.

Thank you so much!

Hello AntiXenik :hug:  welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

We are glad you joined.  You are making a great decision in tapering off your clonazepam.  Slow is the way to go with these drugs.  The best way to get off benzos is to taper off slowly and carefully.  The suggested taper rate is 5/10% every 10/14 days, some of us taper slower than this, the rate can be adjusted to meet your needs.  You can learn more about tapering on our Taper Plans Board.  Try not to worry, you will come through this, be positive.

I suggest you check out the Ashton Manual, you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect these drugs have on our body.  As well as taper/withdrawal information, it lists  possible withdrawal symptoms symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

I am sure the members on this Klonopin support  thread will also be happy to help

Klonopin Klub 

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thank you! Should I look into buying a milligram scale? I can barely break the .5 into equal halves let alone reduce by .05-.1  :-\

Many members have used dry titration to make the small reductions, I'm told you can get them for around $22.00.

I bought a scale. I’d rather be more informed about what I’m doing with my doses than be less informed. I’m finding my benzo brain is not loving the math and numbers. I’m doing a daily taper now.