Tapering Metoprolol

[Ha...]

Has anyone used Metoprolol for a couple weeks 25-50mg a day? Does it have to be tapered slowly from only a couple weeks of use? I went down to 25mg split half and half the last two days and I have never felt anxiety like that.

People whose CNSs are sensitive will most likely have some issues. Beta blockers can cause anxiety when they wear off for some people, me included. How are you feeling now? Is the anxiety still going on or has it left? I was on Metoprolol, I think 200 mg., and decided to switch to Labetalol. Labetalol is a much weaker drug. All the pharmacists I talked to and even my doctor said it was okay. But since I've had numerous drug changes, a c/t off Ativan and other awful things happen, my blood pressure remained high for awhile, and I had lots of anxiety.

You are taking a low dose, so hopefully you'll be able to do it. If not, a cheap scale will help you get off at smaller doses that you can measure. GOOD LUCK!!

Yup. Ive taken Metoprolol for about 6 or 7 months now.(50mg) The side effects aren't fun. Messes with your libido. I figured the anxiety was due to the benzo withdrawal. Im at about a month and a half off. From my understanding metoprolol should be tapered down. Id like to taper off also but I just took my blood pressure (160/90). I gotta get those numbers down first.

People whose CNSs are sensitive will most likely have some issues. Beta blockers can cause anxiety when they wear off for some people, me included. How are you feeling now? Is the anxiety still going on or has it left? I was on Metoprolol, I think 200 mg., and decided to switch to Labetalol. Labetalol is a much weaker drug. All the pharmacists I talked to and even my doctor said it was okay. But since I've had numerous drug changes, a c/t off Ativan and other awful things happen, my blood pressure remained high for awhile, and I had lots of anxiety.

You are taking a low dose, so hopefully you'll be able to do it. If not, a cheap scale will help you get off at smaller doses that you can measure. GOOD LUCK!!

Anxiety is crazy high while on it, it actually feels worse than the benzo withdrawal anxiety in some ways. Honestly hard to tell. Blood pressure is definitely always good unless I have a panic attack or get a run of atrial flutter (which is what I'm trying to figure out). Have been getting insane side effects from the metoprolol, things that could be classified as benzo withdrawal that I had never experienced in two sets of benzo withdrawal too.

ER doc called me to follow up and said the dose I'm on I can just stop taking, though .. yeah I've heard that before with benzo's lol. So I'm going to taper down a bit more.

Yup. Ive taken Metoprolol for about 6 or 7 months now.(50mg) The side effects aren't fun. Messes with your libido. I figured the anxiety was due to the benzo withdrawal. Im at about a month and a half off. From my understanding metoprolol should be tapered down. Id like to taper off also but I just took my blood pressure (160/90). I gotta get those numbers down first.

Definitely want to safely get those numbers down before getting off of it. My blood pressure is okay, it's everything else that is far too insane. I feel like metoprolol is horrible for me.

Anxiety is crazy high while on it, it actually feels worse than the benzo withdrawal anxiety in some ways. Honestly hard to tell. Blood pressure is definitely always good unless I have a panic attack or get a run of atrial flutter (which is what I'm trying to figure out). Have been getting insane side effects from the metoprolol, things that could be classified as benzo withdrawal that I had never experienced in two sets of benzo withdrawal too.

ER doc called me to follow up and said the dose I'm on I can just stop taking, though .. yeah I've heard that before with benzo's lol. So I'm going to taper down a bit more.

That's why I wanted to switch to a gentler pill. I couldn't stand the symptoms I had from Metoprolol.

Doctors are very naive about pills in general. M has a black box warning, so it would be good for you to taper.

I have been on 25 mg of metoprolol  since 2014 when my BP and HR started rising upon standing. I was diagnosed with orthostatic Hypertension. I finally figured out it was from CT

off lorezapem in 2013 (I think). I just remembered I was on lorezapam a couple weeks ago.

I Ct Clonazepam Jan 2018 and had completely forgotten about lorazepam earlier. My BP and HR run low now. I have talked to 2 different cardiologist and both say to keep taking the Metoprolol even if I do not need it because it will do me no harm. I tried to cut it in half about 5 months ago and had the worse palpitations and anxiety that I got scared and went back up to 25 mg. I may try to taper to 12.5 mg later on and see how it goes.

What are some of the side effects you are having?

PG

• 6 months later...

I have been on 25 mg of metoprolol  since 2014 when my BP and HR started rising upon standing. I was diagnosed with orthostatic Hypertension. I finally figured out it was from CT

off lorezapem in 2013 (I think). I just remembered I was on lorezapam a couple weeks ago.

I Ct Clonazepam Jan 2018 and had completely forgotten about lorazepam earlier. My BP and HR run low now. I have talked to 2 different cardiologist and both say to keep taking the Metoprolol even if I do not need it because it will do me no harm. I tried to cut it in half about 5 months ago and had the worse palpitations and anxiety that I got scared and went back up to 25 mg. I may try to taper to 12.5 mg later on and see how it goes.

PG

Have you tried going down on your metoprolol again PG???

PG

Yes, I tried shaving a little off for about three days and BP went up and Heart rate. I was vibrating inside and had to go back to the full dose. It seems like I am stuck for a while. I may try again down the road but my cardiologist says they are not harmful for me.

PG

PG

Yes, I tried shaving a little off for about three days and BP went up and Heart rate. I was vibrating inside and had to go back to the full dose. It seems like I am stuck for a while. I may try again down the road but my cardiologist says they are not harmful for me.

PG

That’s very scary!  I’m sorry you have those issues with just shaving a tiny bit off!  I’m frightened to try to come off my metoprolol. These darn medications!  😔

PG

PG

That’s very scary!  I’m sorry you have those issues with just shaving a tiny bit off!  I’m frightened to try to come off my metoprolol. These darn medications!  😔

Why not try to taper slowly and see how that goes.It is probably hard for me because I was on them since Dec 2014. I am also sensitive to stress, so that may also be the reason. It may be easier for you.

PG