4 Years Off Update

[Th...]

I have been a regular on this forum for some time now, but I wanted to provide encouragement to those still in the thick of WD.

I hit the 4 year off mark on Wednesday, August 5, 2020!

You will heal.  No one knows when, but you will make improvements and your quality of life will get better over time.

Yes, I understand there are some outliers that are 5+ years or longer off and they have not healed to where they would like to be.  :tickedoff:

Distraction, Acceptance and Gratitude are key to getting through this along with support from family and friends and of course this forum!

My life is better now than it was before Benzos.  I enjoy it more, appreciate it way more, and am living it "large." 

Sometimes I feel guilty because I feel so good and enjoy life so much now!

You'll get there too one fine day.  This is coming from a person that thought he would never heal and would be stuck for life!

Peace and Blessings!  8)

Congratulations. Stores like this give people HOPE!

Time is the best cure for benzo w/d. As I have said, Time and Hope. It does get better.

J

Hi AnxiousAnn,

I haven't had any symptoms for 2 years now.  What I still see improvement in is sleep.  Even though I still get around the same amount each night (6-8 hours), it is a lot less broken.  I used to wake up 10 times per night even a year ago.  Now it's down to 2 or 3 times per night and that is usually to use the restroom.

Also, I don't have as much REM Rebound sleep.  As sleep started to return, I would start dreaming almost instantly.  Now I believe I am going through typical sleep cycles.

There are also people that never get better. I seem to be one of them. I'm 28 months off now and feel angry the moment I wake up and feel like I have concrete in my head. Despite sleeping better, I'm not really getting better.

@[ B...]

So you would say your current condition is just like it was the first 6 months or year off?  Hmmm...sometimes people take 3-5 years or longer to see noticeable improvements?  Also, healing won't cure preexisting conditions.  So if you had, for example, anxiety before Benzos, you'll most likely have it after you are off and healed?  I'd much rather deal with feeling angry than not sleeping. It's all a matter of personal perspective.  I used to get angry watching the news, so I ditched my satellite TV, now I don't get any news channels and I rarely get angry about things going on in our country/world!

@[An...]

Yes, I can have a beer or glass of wine now.  I think I waited about 3 years after my CT to even try.  I was too afraid of a setback.  Now, it's no problem!

So glad for you! thanks for this post and for your continuous encouragement on BB. Anything I read of yours is always a blessing.

Thanks Trina75....

That's exactly why I am still here a few years after healing... because of kind, passionate people like you! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on 4 years!  I hit six months this week.

I agree, distraction, acceptance, and gratitude go a long way.  Now that I am off of benzos I find it easier to have gratitude.  My mood is so much better. 

All the best to you!

RShack,

Congrats on reaching the 6 month mark.  It will continue to improve for you although it might be UP and down yet?

I am glad you are healing and getting better!  Each passing day brings you one day closer to crossing the finish line!

Blessings, Healing and Peace to you!

I always read your responses in the insomnia section. you always calm my fears. your story is one of my favorites to read. thank you for sticking around and helping so so so many people. you are truly a blessing.