anxiety attack free

[be...]

Hi,

I have been on xanax for a good year or more for anxiety attacks. My anxiety attacks feel rare. I don't feel like I am dying, but all of a sudden I get consumed with how and why things work and are created. Like what makes a tree hard vs. a leaf soft? My brain asks questions with nature, man made items and living creatures. I get so stressed out that I don't know the answer that I am stupid and I am in pure panic. My body sweats and shivers, I get dry mouth and I can't regulate body temperature.

I am currently taking .75 daily and was trying to taper down quarterly each week, but then one week I was having attacks every other day instead of twice a week like I have been for the last two years. I feel so UNSAFE when I have them. I take 1.5 mg when I have an attack. I don't know if I am addicted, but not having them around for the attacks makes me so afraid. Last time I tried to go without a med, it lasted 9 hours. I don't know what is going on with my body. I need support.

Hello beingfree26, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Your attacks sound awful, I've never heard them described like this before, have they always presented like this?  The reason I ask is because what you describe sounds like benzo tolerance or withdrawal symptoms, I've read many members describe similar feelings.

When we become tolerant to the benzo we begin to experience withdrawal symptoms and the only way to be rid of them is to taper off the drug or to increase our dose. 

I have to say your taper appears to be too rapid, we suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week or two depending on your symptoms and your symptoms seem to be telling you to slow this down.

Here are some resources for you to look at which will help you get started on the forum.

The Ashton Manual

Planning your taper (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Let us know how we can help you, we're glad you're here.  Oh and by the way, I edited out the profanity since it's against forum policy.  :)

Pamster

Hi beingfree26

I’m sorry you’re going through this, but I agree with Pamster that this sounds a lot looks interdose withdrawal and tolerance. Your anxiety and panic could be as a result of your body’s need for the Xanax. Panic attacks are scary... but the Xanax is likely making it worse.

If you are taking .75mg daily, then doubling your dose when you have an attack, your body/brain are going to look to that dose for future intake.

Cutting .25 weekly is too fast, and likely the reason for the spike in your increased panic attacks. I initially dropped .25 and was in bed sick with anxiety through the roof. On the advise of buddies on here, I slowed down, divided my dose into three equal doses 8 hours apart, and my symptoms settled along with my anxiety.

You’ve been on this drug for at least a year, so the best and kindest thing to do for your brain and body is to slowly come off of it.

Praying for your peace... you are not alone!