Encouraged about this forum

[Fo...]

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself.

I have read several positive things about this forum.  I am desperately trying to stop benzo use and was hoping to find an online support group.  Seems that everywhere I turned I saw the same reference... BenzoBuddies.

I have been taking alprazolam for just over 2 years.  Except for three separate alcohol withdrawals when my dosage spiked to 1.5 MG a day for a week, I have been on a 0.75 MG (0.25MG x 3 Daily) for most of the two years.

After decades of alcohol abuse, I want to be substance free.  While alcohol free, I find myself in for a much harder fight with benzos.  I just started a taper 10 days ago.  I am currently taking 0.675 MG with my psychiatrist’s supervision.

After what I have read elsewhere, I am honestly mortified of what is to come.  I trust I’ll get through it, but am hoping for guidance along the way.  Thanks to everyone in this forum for all your past and future contributions to this community.

Formykids: Welcome to the site! It sounds like you have accomplished so much already - congrats on sobriety. Other users have overcome alcohol and benzo as well.

What you need to focus on now is that it can be done. Remind yourself of why this is important to you.

Heres a link on tapering for reference. I'm glad you have a doctors support on this. I hope your doctor is benzo-wise and knows you need to go slow.Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Dr. Ashton has done some good work in benzo recovery:

The Ashton Manual

A support board you may find helpful:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

And success stories to help you keep focused and inspired with hope!

Success Stories

Let us know how we can be of help to you. I think you'll find lots of supportive people at different stages in the process, and lots of info to guide you.

Trina :thumbsup: