Need to stop these meds.

[Ma...]

Hi, I have been on Ativan 3 mg for 7 months. Over a year ago I tapered Ativan 0.5 mg without a problem, felt great. In late December 2019 I experienced the worst anxiety/panic attack of my life. I didn’t know it then but I was sick with diverticulitis for the 9th time, have since had a colon resection. Since January I lost 60 lbs, have had multiple problems with dropping sodium levels so no SSRI meds for me.

About3 weeks ago Ativan stopped working for me in that after an hour it wore off. Therapist decides to give me Xanax 2mg twice daily. Not doing well, tried breaking into smaller doses, etc. also Xanax took my appetite away just as I was starting to gain weight. I am trying desperately to find a doctor to help with Ashton or Ativan water taper. Nol luck yet but I am still trying. I have received referrals to this site from several holistic practitioners that I trust a lot.

Hello Maureen1957, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Oh my, you're had a rough time, I'm so sorry to hear about your health troubles, now you have to add a benzo taper to the mix.  I hope you can clarify for me which benzo you're currently taking, is it Xanax or Ativan?  We can help you taper, you can taper directly from your benzo, most of our members do because it seems Dr's in the US are sometimes hesitant to switch their patients to it.

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week to 10 days but this should depend on your symptoms, it's important to remain functional.  If you'd like to check out our Planning your taper (Taper Plans) board, you'll see the methods we support and if you like, you can start a thread to ask for suggestions from our other members.

If you're experiencing symptoms, you can start a thread on the Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board to get any support you may need.

Please ask questions, we want to help you, we're glad you're here.

Pamster

Let us know if you need help, you can always start a help desk ticket if you don't understand how to navigate.  :)