Hello

[Th...]

Iv'e been reading the forums for a while and decided to join now to get more insight into my withdrawal issues. I was prescribed Ativan for a few decades and took it very sparingly, sometimes maybe 1mg a month. Hardly touched it. Then last year, because of coming off of other psych meds for depression and anxiety, I started using the Ativan as a crutch, taking up to 2mg daily for a few months. I started having interdose tolerance, so I consulted my doctor to come off of it. I wanted to switch to Valium but he wanted to switch me to Klonopin so here I am on the last dose regimen for another month or so. I switched to the Klonopin last November, so I am 9 months into my taper.

I am taking one .125 pills a day. I have had many symptoms I can discuss about later.

Hello This that should not be and Welcome to Benzo Buddies!

Good for you beginning to taper off Klonopin.  You'll find information here to help you with the rest of your taper and support from a caring community of others who understand what this process is like.

We generally suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  This is a general guideline but the premise is that a slow careful taper is the best way to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.  The 5-10% cut recommendation means 5-10% of your current dose, not the beginning dose.  Some members find withdrawal symptoms increase as they get to the lower doses in their taper.  You may want to consider making smaller cuts. 

Please explore the site and feel free to post.  Here are some links to help you get started. 

The Ashton Manual is an excellent resource on benzo withdrawal.  Chapter III discusses many but not all common withdrawal symptoms.  It can be very comforting to see your own symptoms listed.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

We're glad you've jointed us!

Brighterday.  :)

Brighterday-

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, i am well aware of the suggested tapering schedules and have read the Ashton manual. That is were I got the idea of switching to Valium last year but when I talked to my doctor about it, he didn't like Valium for some reason that I forget, so he switched me to Klonopin because of it's longer half life compared to Ativan. Otherwise he has been very supportive and has let me taper at my own pace. I have made steps that are bigger than 10% because Klonopin pills can only be cut in half so many times. I never tried making a powder and weighing on a scale route. I have just pressed through it. When I take my next step, I will probably cut these .125 pills in half instead of jumping to zero. I have been taking my time with each drop, up to 10 weeks for each drop in dose.

I have also read the Benzo information coalition web page which has been insightful, including the symptoms list. I also bought a couple of

Dr. Peter Breggin's books which are outstanding. Not only about benzo's, but all psych meds as well.

I'm so glad you've educated yourself about this process, fear is such a big component but education can dispel some of it.  :thumbsup: