XANAX dangerous to the core.

[pe...]

Hello fellow buddies,

l am a devastated and desperate Mom.

My daughter has been on XANAX for 12 years - psychs and doctors kept on prescribing it NEVER asking how long she had been on it,  and she kept on taking lt.  She ls now addicted.

l knew nothing about benzos - l never questioned lt...  She now has to wean herself off 2mg SR and 0.5 both of which she takes daily.  During the years she had increased these amounts.

however she now has this to wean off.  This ls a nightmare.  What l really want to hear are the success stories - right now she does not believe she will ever get her life back - she eats green, used to train every day, ls a half marathon runner and successful business woman - her life now has crashed, she now ls unable to do any of that ..... please tell me that there ls hope.... my heart ls broken :(

Hi perez :hug:  Welcome to the forum.

We are happy to welcome you here.  I know how difficult this is for you as well as your daughter, it’s not easy supporting close ones going through withdrawal.  It’s great that you are joining for advice and support.  Withdrawal from benzos can be a very lonely place,  family support is so important. Your daughter will come through this!  i tapered off diazepam after 26 years. I promise, she will get her life back, It does get better .

Benzodiazepines should be tapered slow.  It is suggested cutting between 5% and 10% of the daily dose every 10 - 14 days.  Many of us need to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable; the goal is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would recommend that you have a read through The Ashton Manual,  It is a valuable resource and outlines some of what one might experience, it also gives a list of common symptoms. 

Here are some links, you may find helpful.

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hello Perez and welcome to the forum, but sad you have to be here. Your daughter is fortunate indeed to have a mom who will support her through this daunting journey. 

There is hope!  I had a 20 year history with xanax use.  My story is similar to your daughter's in that I started out using it very sparingly, but accelerated my use as time went on.  i have been off 5 years and completely healed.  You can read my update thread here.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=243762.msg3110016#msg3110016

You and your daughter can do this!  She can get off the xanax and reclaim the person she used to be, but it will take a plan, focus, discipline, courage and determination.  Sending you and your daughter lovely thoughts for hope, courage and strength for the journey. 

:smitten:

She

Perez,

So sorry to hear about your daughter's devastation and her losses. I do not know what to say. I guess the only thing is to stop beating oneself up and aim to heal, as long, perhaps less long, whatever it takes. From my profile it took me 1 year and 3 mo. to get off 4mg of Ativan. There were some very, very tough times. I have a very big job and I recall doing my last interview having diarrhea. I did get the job, but by a miracle. I am now tapering off my 1mg of Xanax. I first cut .125mg and stayed 30 days. I cut last night another .125 and I slept well. I was put on these two benzos to make me sleep. My psych tried everything and nothing worked except taking xanax an hour before the Ativan. Yes it worked but it fuc...my life up. Now I am good. Symptom free so far and I wil stay at this dose for 30 days. I wil pray for your daughter and you too. It has been hard to find an active Xanax group. I am new here but hope we can help each other. Powerball.