Hello everyone, weaning off Alprazolam.

[Be...]

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of weaning off Alprazolam. I started taking it since the beginning of the pandemic (around March 2020). I thought it would be harmless to have 0.25 mg of Alprazolam every night to help me sleep.

I did that for over 4 weeks. Then I decided to continue take the same dosage (0.25 mg) 4 times a week...and I continued doing so until the end of June thinking to myself "what could possibly go wrong with such a small dose?".

When quarantine measures started to ease in my city, I just relaxed and stopped taking it altogether.

After 4 days I woke up with a scary electric tinnitus from inside my head that was driving me nuts. I've had tinnitus before (so I didn't give too much importance). As time went by my tinnitus got worse, along with sweaty hands, anxiety, and nausea.

Because of my dosage, a few doctors might have underestimated the situation, but the more I read, the more I realize I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

I wanted to join this forum because this is totally new for me, and I wanted to share my experience as well as getting some input from you. At present, I have very loud tinnitus, I've lost a lot of weight, and I feel literally I'm living in a nightmare 24/7.

Thank you for reading me.

Hi BenThrottle :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies.

We are glad you found us.  Sorry you are having a rough time. Withdrawal symptoms are awful, but they are temporary, it will get better.  You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum. I suggest you do some research, check out the taper plan boards and post questions.  We have a great community filled with knowledgeable and compassionate members who will support and encourage you.

Benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly, reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb. You can go slower. listen to your body, whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.

I would recommend reading through the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect these drugs have on our body.  As well as tapering and withdrawal information, It includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

The Xanax Club

If you care to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thank you for the information :). I'll check it out. Yes, I hope it gets better. Need to review my tapering schedule since I believe is a little bit abrupt. My tinnitus is fluctuating a lot.

Also, I was changed from Alprazolam to Clonazepam today, but in terms of equivalency there seems to be a discrepancy based on the opinion of the 2 doctors I've spoken with.

One tells me it's exactly the same, the other tells me that Alprazolam has nothing to do with Clonazepam in terms of dosage.

So  is not fun, especially when I feel like I'm walking on ice as to not to exacerbate my tinnitus.

We are glad you found us.  Sorry you are having a rough time. Withdrawal symptoms are awful, but they are temporary, it will get better.  You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum. I suggest you do some research, check out the taper plan boards and post questions.  We have a great community filled with knowledgeable and compassionate members who will support and encourage you.

Benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly, reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb. You can go slower. listen to your body, whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.

I would recommend reading through the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect these drugs have on our body.  As well as tapering and withdrawal information, It includes a list of common symptoms 

The Ashton Manual

The Xanax Club

If you care to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Yes, it's a very similar story indeed. Have you had tinnitus? if so, has it gotten any better? What other symptoms are you experiencing.

I'm having insomnia, difficulty swallowing, sweaty hands, nervousness, and of course, tormenting tinnitus which makes everything worse.

Thank you for the information :). I'll check it out. Yes, I hope it gets better. Need to review my tapering schedule since I believe is a little bit abrupt. My tinnitus is fluctuating a lot.

Also, I was changed from Alprazolam to Clonazepam today, but in terms of equivalency there seems to be a discrepancy based on the opinion of the 2 doctors I've spoken with.

One tells me it's exactly the same, the other tells me that Alprazolam has nothing to do with Clonazepam in terms of dosage.

So  is not fun, especially when I feel like I'm walking on ice as to not to exacerbate my tinnitus.

The Ashton Manual

The Xanax Club

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Edit: Mixed quote

Hi Ben

I’ve had tinnitus, and other symptoms you mentioned. The tinnitus has long gone, as have all of the many symptoms I experienced.

You will eventually recover from this ordeal, I am sorry you are going through it right now. Stay positive, be patient, it will get better

Magrita :smitten:

Alprazolam and Clonazepam are roughly equivalent in dose however their actions are not, you'll most likely feel the effects.  Clonazepam can be a better drug to taper from because it's half life is longer but be prepared to feel different.  It might be a good idea to actually taper in your Clonazepam while reducing the Alprazolam for a day or two. 

Thanks Magrita, it does really make me feel a lot better reading your message. :)

Hi Ben

I’ve had tinnitus, and other symptoms you mentioned. The tinnitus has long gone, as have all of the many symptoms I experienced.

You will eventually recover from this ordeal, I am sorry you are going through it right now. Stay positive, be patient, it will get better

Magrita :smitten: