Needing help with tapering from 4mg of xanax

[Sm...]

I initially started saying I was going to go immediately to 3mg. But now I’ve decided to take it a little slower. What are yalls suggestion on this ?! All advice is appreciated.

I realize the above post makes no sense. What I was trying to say is that I originally intended to start my taper from 4 to 3mg of Xanax. But I decided to start with tapering .5mg. Which would put me starting out at 3.5 for my first taper. This probably doesn't make sense either !!! So far I haven't had any issues. It's only been 2 and a half days tho !! Still hopeful !!

No worries about feeling like you're not making sense, benzo's mess up our cognitive abilities so we get pretty good at figuring out what members are trying to say and if we can't figure it out, we ask questions.  ;)

I'm amazed you're feeling as good as you are making a big cut like you did, .5 is a bit larger than we like to see but what's important is listening to your body.  Tapers should be guided by how we feel so listen to the cues your body is telling you.  The good thing about Xanax which is also a bad thing about Xanax is how quickly it leaves your body so you feeling fairly good after 2 and a half days is a good sign. 

You have a lot of freedom when it comes to tapering, I know that's a weird thing to say but you can reduce your cuts or increase them, you can hold for longer between cuts to allow your body to stabilize and you can dose more often during the day to deal with interdose withdrawal symptoms.  Use all of these tools as you taper and remember that slow and steady is preferable to large cuts and the possibility of having to up-dose if things get too bad. 

We all do our best to remain functional while going through this and slow tapers have proved to be the best way to do just that. 

• 3 weeks later...
I would advise you to cut a bit slower than that. I also started with .5 but it caught up with me. I was able to cut .25 a couple of times and then half of that for a few times. As the dose gets lower, you want to taper less. The usual recommended amount is 5 to 10 percent of your current dose. I cut a bit higher than that this month and the withdrawal has been rough. I'm going to hold for a month until I feel better. Good luck!

Hi Smart...:)

I, also, have been on the Xanax bandwagon (read my bio thingy below) since 5/18..Finally started tapering this past March (during quarantine) from about 3 mg/day..I usually "cut" about .25 every 10 days/2 weeks or so..Not gonna say that I didn't feel those dose lowering, but they were manageable..usually they occurred about 3-4 days after lowering (so keep a watch for that)..:)..Am now currently "stuck" at .75..current life situations have me stagnating at this dose..:(

It is quite tricky to cut those pills once when u get to about 1 mg..I have a supply of .5's which hubby cuts then cuts again to make my .125's..not sure if its possible to cut down to .0625 :-\

Remember as many have stated...This is a marathon not a sprint..I truly believe that..everyone has their own time schedule and such..You will find urs once u stabilize into a routine of sorts..

Feel free to PM me if u have any other questions..will try to answer as best as I can..:)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Cinna 8)

• 2 months later...
Ok I found this post again to reply in public lol !! I read this late, but it was right on time for me Bc this is where I’m currently at !! I have 1mg pills and it’s hard to cut them. That’s why I’ve cut in halves !! I’m too lazy to measure so precisely !! However, I am taking this last mg SLOWWWW !!! I plan to crush my pills and go down like .BarelyAnything a week !! I appreciate the quarantine time Bc I was able to read up on the topic of tapering and able to figure out a plan !! I’d like to be buddies tho 😁

You can find your replies by clicking on Show new replies to your posts on the upper left of your window next to your profile picture.