Carnivore and Elimination Diet

[Ic...]

Through BB, I have been seeing a lot of posts on diets and how it has helped with withdrawals or brought to light unknown (redundant but needed for clarification) allergies. I am not really looking for food to ease my symptoms; I mean less symptoms would be welcomed, but I know it is really all about time. I have suspected allergies for some time and through members' posts and discovering Jordan Peterson and his daughter, I am now really intrigued with the idea of food intolerance and depression. My question is: has anyone either tried a carnivore/elimination diet or what are your thoughts? It would mean no plants, dairy, or even quinoa, so how does one go about making a meal plan for breakfast, lunch, and dinner using only meat? 

This is such an interesting thing.  I have now wondered, if maybe the carnivore diet helped Jordan Peterson because he was on benzos.  My take on it, is that sugar and carbs are what I am sensitive to.  I am not interested in eating only meat, but I do find that meat is something that usually does not make me feel ill, but neither do most vegetables or fruit.  Others may have that vary.  I think we all might be sensitive to different things, but I do not know.

I can swear that I feel so much better when i have more plant based foods. I know I need proteins too, and def incorporate them. Balance is key.

sugar, dairy and preservatives are def a problem for me:)

Through BB, I have been seeing a lot of posts on diets and how it has helped with withdrawals or brought to light unknown (redundant but needed for clarification) allergies. I am not really looking for food to ease my symptoms; I mean less symptoms would be welcomed, but I know it is really all about time. I have suspected allergies for some time and through members' posts and discovering Jordan Peterson and his daughter, I am now really intrigued with the idea of food intolerance and depression. My question is: has anyone either tried a carnivore/elimination diet or what are your thoughts? It would mean no plants, dairy, or even quinoa, so how does one go about making a meal plan for breakfast, lunch, and dinner using only meat?

I tried both a keto and carnivore diet seperatley and did terrible on both. Carnivore even messed me up for a few months afterwards as I transitioned back to a normal diet. You'll also find people on here who did great on either of those 2. And plenty in between. Just as is the case with everything else on here.

Only way to know is to try. Perhaps start with Keto first so it isn't as intimidating?

Look up Dr. Shaun Baker and on his site you'll get tons of ideas for meal plans.

I'm mostly carnivore. My body feels best on a mostly meat diet. I stay full for longer, have better digestion and sleep, and skin is clearer.

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Paul Saladino has tons of in-depth, science-based information and a good podcast regarding carnivore.

I personally feel the best following a paleo-style diet. I think veganism/plant based is a mistake.

Where’s FloridaGuy when we need him?!

• 2 weeks later...

I would really like to know if anybody has benefited from carnivore also. I’ve done modified carnivore (Just meat and greens for a few months). Reactions were definitely much lower. I find I don’t do very well with carbs and sugar. I’m thinking I may transition to carnivore at some stage due to the autoimmune flavour of a lot of my symptoms.

Staunch

• 1 month later...

I’m a proponent of ancestral eating and believe that fats are essential to brain health. I also think so the called “plant based” eating is another term for voluntary starvation. But I have to say that doing very low carb and fasting did not work for me. I was retaining weight around my middle despite working out very hard (CrossFit). If I wasn’t in wd, maybe it would have worked? My theory is that that style of diet increased my cortisol spikes as evidenced by my constant 4am wakeups.

Recently I switched to the Zone diet. It’s balanced lean protein, slow digesting carbs, and a little healthy fat. You eat in this ratio every few hours. A couple weeks into the Zone diet my sleep leveled off and I got windows. It’s designed to regulate hormones and cortisol. It’s working for me. I’m also getting fitter and my gym performance is getting better. It’s free to do and there’s a bunch of info online.

I also think so the called “plant based” eating is another term for voluntary starvation.

While I would suggest that advocating for a pure plant based diet is based more on ideology than science, I don't think this is a fair comment. You have to consume more to feel satiated and consume smarter to get all the macronutrients that you need. It's definitely possible, just perhaps not the easiest or most efficient way to fuel yourself.

Most people would benefit from eating substantially more plant based foods. I have little doubt about that.

I also think so the called “plant based” eating is another term for voluntary starvation.

While I would suggest that advocating for a pure plant based diet is based more on ideology than science, I don't think this is a fair comment. You have to consume more to feel satiated and consume smarter to get all the macronutrients that you need. It's definitely possible, just perhaps not the easiest or most efficient way to fuel yourself.

Most people would benefit from eating substantially more plant based foods. I have little doubt about that.

Of course plant foods are healthier than junk foods. No one argues that. I won’t argue with you on this topic. I’ve done the research and I’ve tried a vegan diet. It’s unnatural despite what the current narrative tries to convince you of. If veganism is natural, it shouldn’t need to be “well planned” in order to work. Go live in the wilderness for a month and tell me if you want to eat animal protein and fat. You can’t fight nature no matter how hard the modern world tries. Most vegans last 4 years before returning to animal products. The brain needs animal fats. The last think someone in benzo withdrawal should do is eat a vegan diet. Period. 

If you read what I wrote, I stated my view that advocating for veganism is based more on ideology than science. I'm not going to argue because we seem to agree on just about everything, except what I quoted. I should probably have made that clearer.

I don't like ideology either way, though, and your post hints at that. I sort of agree that veganism is unnatural - certainly from an evolutionary perspective. I'm not going to argue against those that put that extra effort in to get all the required nutrition from solely plant based foods, though. They probably have a healthier diet than 90% of the population.

We’re close enough to agree.  :thumbsup: To answer, I hold no ideology regarding this topic. I simply don’t like seeing people being misled and suffering health consequences.  I’m sure you can understand why.

Hope your recovery is going well.