SHORT term support group!

[De...]

Hi again,

Due to the new medication I am not sleeping well throughout the night. I sleep, but I dream pretty vivid dreams, and my breathing is kind of shallow. I was given meclizine 25 mg for dizziness and toprol xl 25mg for high blood pressure at the ER.

Go to the pharmacy and get a sp02 monitor to give yourself peace of mind that’s what I did. Anything over 94% you’re getting enough oxygen

Hi again,

Due to the new medication I am not sleeping well throughout the night. I sleep, but I dream pretty vivid dreams, and my breathing is kind of shallow. I was given meclizine 25 mg for dizziness and toprol xl 25mg for high blood pressure at the ER.

Lucian, dizziness is a very common symptom of BWD. I experienced severe dizziness while I was taking Ativan -- it was interdose withdrawal but I didn't realize it at the same … If I were you, I would stop the Meclizine. I'm very wary of adding more medications that could possibly complicate the situation or impede healing. Now I'm 19 months off the benzo -- I still have a bit of dizziness but it's vastly improved.

Hi again,

Lucian, dizziness is a very common symptom of BWD. I experienced severe dizziness while I was taking Ativan -- it was interdose withdrawal but I didn't realize it at the same … If I were you, I would stop the Meclizine. I'm very wary of adding more medications that could possibly complicate the situation or impede healing. Now I'm 19 months off the benzo -- I still have a bit of dizziness but it's vastly improved.

Hey! I know you’re tapering another medication but was just wondering if you think your symptoms from benzos are mostly gone?

• 1 month later...
Short-timer here also on Ativan.  In between dose severe anxiety and depression killing me.  Never had these things before.  So much anxiety feel like an elephant on my chest ever day all day.  Cant believe I got dependent on these things after only a few weeks.  Struggling every day to just be.  Cant function at all in daily life. 

Short-timer here also on Ativan.  In between dose severe anxiety and depression killing me.  Never had these things before.  So much anxiety feel like an elephant on my chest ever day all day.  Cant believe I got dependent on these things after only a few weeks.  Struggling every day to just be.  Cant function at all in daily life.

The chemical anxiety that benzos give is horrible! Once off the medication things will get better but it’s going to be very up and down for awhile most ppl take 6-18 months to withdrawl. I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

If this helps any I hand horrible anxiety while on and coming off Ativan I was in and out don’t he ha hospital over 10 times in a month all for them to say nothing is wrong and “take my medication”  i had thought i was going crazy until I crisis psychiatrist told me I was having paradoxical effects to the medication and having interdose withdraws as well. So I stopped taking the meds and To control my heart rate I took propranolol for a week (that’s when my heart calmed down) and went cold turkey i didn’t sleep or got little sleep for 11 days in the beginning and panic attacks were awful but I can say at 5 months it’s NOTHING like it was in the beginning once off medication your body will start to go back to being normal. I have had days where I feel mostly fine now so I know healing is happening. If o can do this so can you!

If this helps any I hand horrible anxiety while on and coming off Ativan I was in and out don’t he ha hospital over 10 times in a month all for them to say nothing is wrong and “take my medication”  i had thought i was going crazy until I crisis psychiatrist told me I was having paradoxical effects to the medication and having interdose withdraws as well. So I stopped taking the meds and To control my heart rate I took propranolol for a week (that’s when my heart calmed down) and went cold turkey i didn’t sleep or got little sleep for 11 days in the beginning and panic attacks were awful but I can say at 5 months it’s NOTHING like it was in the beginning once off medication your body will start to go back to being normal. I have had days where I feel mostly fine now so I know healing is happening. If o can do this so can you!

Thanks.  I am getting liquid ativan tomorrow and going to try to spread out the small doses.  Hopefully that will work.  I just dont think i could do CT.

Hi I’m a short term user too !! Used 1mg Klonopin for 21 days and tried to stop and bad sx. Fast tapered all the way down to .125 and have been going slow down since. At .03 and really feeling it unfortunately... hoping I don’t have to reinstate .. I’m so low

Thanks.  I am getting liquid ativan tomorrow and going to try to spread out the small doses.  Hopefully that will work.  I just dont think i could do CT.

My story is pretty similar to yours. You tried cold turkey and then went back up to .125?

I’m at .03 klonopin and hurting ...

My story is pretty similar to yours. You tried cold turkey and then went back up to .125?

I’m at .03 klonopin and hurting ...

Yes.  CT for xanax only a few days then doc switched me to ativan 0.5mg then 3.75mg then 0.125mg in a matter of days.  I am holding at 0.125mg.  In agony.  Tomorrow I get liquid Ativan and will spread the dose out 4x a day.  I am being told that will help.  If not then I need to go back up to come back down - this is what folks are telling me - i have no idea what works yet.  Time will tell I guess.

I just need to share something......everyone here already knows.

You can see from my signature that I'm tapering Klonopin.  Maybe not exactly short term use.

But what I wanted to say, is how can these drugs be used with at times seems to be reckless abandon by the medical community?

Granted, some folks chose to take them and they help them (?), long term.

But aren't there any studies, documentation in journals (I know FDA Black Label), but more importantly a clear concise warning\discussion for patients, that provide what can happen with the use of Benzos.

It breaks my heart to see people in this thread (and other threads) that used them for, at the time, may have seemed like the right reason.  Or simply without enough information to make an informed decision, who now find themselves suffering, sorry they started, taking small doses, trying to get there life back in order.  There must be a better answer.

I wanted to post this to say, my heart is with all of you, all of us, that are working to get our lives back.

I, personally would welcome the day that a Board like this wasn't necessary and people weren't suffering, all could be healed.  Is that too much to hope for?

• 2 months later...

Hello short-timers.  Thought I would try and activate this thread again.  I'm approaching 4 months off in a couple days and wanted to touch base with other folks who found themselves thrown into withdrawal after only a short period of time.  How is everyone doing?  I recognize a few names on this thread and know there are a few other short-timers on the boards and hope that some of us can continue to support each other and share our experiences.  The surreal nature of how quickly my life turned upside down in a matter of days is still a bit haunting, so I sometimes struggle commenting or engaging on the threads because there is this underlying, nagging feeling that I should already be moved on as a "short-timer."  I also took a few weeks off from the boards and stopped charting my progress/symptoms, thinking that if I just went about my life, this would all disappear.  Well it hasn't yet.  Sigh...

Where I am at: month 4 was much like month 3 for me with some really lovely windows of approaching 100% (the background of a scalded tongue sensation ruined the complete 100% feeling).  My windows used to have a pattern but now it's all over the place; some times hours of clarity, sometimes a full day, sometimes a run of a couple days.  These windows usually are still accompanied with minor physical sensations in the background: that damned scalded tongue sensation that just will not go away and some mild electric current sensations in arms/legs.  However, when waves happen, they are worse than the first two months off.  I am not sure if there is a perception that things are worse because my windows have become so much better, so there is that stark contrast, but I have to admit that the waves really get me feeling hopeless. 

Sending healing vibes and best wishes to all.