Kindling and Cold Turkey

[Ic...]

I am so happy that I found this site! From all of the information I have found here, a lot of things are starting to make sense. However, I feel I may have kindled more times than I initially realized. If someone could respond with a good definition of kindling, I would like that. But, when I was in my early 20s, a PCP doctor prescribed Zoloft, Xanax (I am not sure the dosage but it was blue), and adderall to all be taken together. I would take the Xanax every night. I believe that this lasted for like a month. All I remember is that I was healed by the end of Summer. So, while on the meds, as you can probably guess, I became zombified, slept all day, had akathesia and derealization. I did not know the names at the time, but I knew that I felt horrible. Once I realized that the meds were causing it, I just stopped cold turkey. I didn't know that tapering was a thing. I would say that in about two to three weeks, I was fine. I made myself a promise that I would never ever take meds again as the experience was horrible. Well, I am wondering if that incident had an impact on my GABA receptors and what I can take. Two years ago, I began taking OTC supplements for stress. Lo and behold, I found out this year when I went back and looked at the ingredients that they had L-Theanine, a whole bunch of B vitamins, Ashwagandha, 5-HTP and GABA. I got very sick and I wonder if this was the first time I was kindled. Then, at the beginning of this year, I took Magnesium and the mini pill to regulate hormones. I got really really sick, so I wonder if i kindled a second time. The third time I got really really sick, I was on Lamictal and Buspar. The psych said that there was no way I could have gotten sick from the meds. So another kindle? As with most on here, I became addicted/dependent on benzos because Ambien was the only thing that would get rid of the akathesia and other symptoms. Because of its short half life, I needed more and more. I kindled Ambien two times on its own. I am a month and 22 days free! Yay!

I think it is safe to say that we all may be kindled more times than we would like because there are now so many things we can't consume. However, I am going to be VERY careful from now on what I put in my body.

PS. I knew I wasn't crazy when I told doctors that B vitamins in the supplement form gave me a panic attack.

Hi IcyPeppermint-

Kindling refers to the neurological condition which results from repeated withdrawal episodes from sedative - hypnotic drugs such as alcohol or benzodiazepines . Each withdrawal can lead to more severe withdrawal symptoms than the previous withdrawal.

The idea that supplements can cause actual kindling is kind of murky. Some people can tolerate some supplements. Those people might tell you that supplements don’t couse kindling. Or that they might only couse a slight flare up.  In my experience, magnesium was like taking more benzos and made my symptoms much worse on a long term basis.

I wish someone would have took me by the shoulders, shook me and told me to be extremely carful about what I ingest. The most important thing you can learn hear, especially once off the drug, is what Can couse setbacks.

Also this: https://www.benzowarrior.com/may-cause-setbacks

And this: https://w-bad.org/reactions-setbacks/

These are important links that you should save. Read them. Get familiar with everything on those lists.

Thank you AccusedUndead! Magnesium also does not bode well for me. I got sick taken it two different times with DP/DR, depression, anxiety, stomach pain, and cortisol surges. Because I didn't know what was happening, I wasn't able to put it all together until this year. Thank you for the links as well!

Icy: although a lot of people have probs with supplements after benzo wd.. there are "regular" people who do not do well with the products you mentioned. for example ashwaghanda has been know n to cause heart palms in healthy individuals, and progesterone/HRT can go sideways too.

If you ever try stuff again, wait till you are healed, do only one thing at a time in a very small amt. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never even heard of kindling until recently, starting to think I might be. Never took these drugs seriously and my doctor is absolutely clueless, kept throwing things at me for a month here which I would take very randomly, then I'dCT everytime.

Would this account for the fact I can't tolerate anything anymore? I mean even 1mg Valium is too much for me, and was unable to taper properly

Having a mare, I am not sure. I still do not understand these drugs. Like you, I didn't take these drugs very seriously because before I was more informed, I was always told I could stop and in a week it would leave my system. Whenever I got side effects, a doctor would tell me that was impossible and that it was all in my head.

I visited 4 different ERs in 4 different cities and saw 4 different doctors.  All of them told me WD from Benzos or other drugs doesn't last more than 2-4 weeks because the drugs were out of my system.  Doctors are not taught about WD and most (98%) do not even recognize it.  They told me it was all in my head and wanted to put me on more drugs.  I refused.  My PCP would no longer see me until I went to a psychologist.  I did, and she wanted to put me on more drugs, which I refused.  I was told by everyone (psychologist, PCP, and ER doctors) that I had mental or psychological conditions or issues for which I needed ADs and other drugs.

They were all wrong.  I finally found a psychologist at a counseling center that was very familiar with Benzo, alcohol, heroine and pain killer withdrawal.

I completely healed from all symptoms and never took another Rx drug again.

You'll heal too.  Trust the information you find on this site, but seek medical attention if need to.

Thank you, TheWay2, I really hope that I do heal from this. As of right now, I feel like my life is over and that I will never heal from what is happening to my gut and brain. My stomach is always so sensitive and my brain feels like it is on fire and cannot comprehend anything. Your positive attitude is much appreciated, as is your faith. I have to admit that I lost my faith through all of this.