Netflix Call to Action

[Te...]

Terry, did you mean to write "Netflix" or "Media"? The link you put in is from BIC, and it's a "Media Call to Action". Maybe a typo?

Here’s the text from the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition’s call to action:

Calling the benzo harmed to action! Want to tell your story on a national stage and raise awareness about the real benzodiazepine issue? We are working with Netflix producers for a show that will feature benzodiazepine harmed patient stories. We are seeking a patient currently tapering a benzodiazepine who is willing to be filmed for this show.

To be considered you must:

be currently tapering

live in the North East United States (NY, NJ, PA, MA, CT, RI)

submit a video and fill out the questionnaire

If you do not meet this criteria, please share this post with someone who does! We want to find people living this harm to represent our issue! Instructions and a questionnaire are below. Please make your video and fill this out this week. The video should tell some of your story, including your tapering process or how you are doing now. Please keep the video length around 5 minutes. We hope to have all videos in our possession by Friday, July 24th.

Lapis, I got an email from the Benzo Coalition. They're going to collaborate with Netflix. Did you get their email? I figured they'd sent it out to a lot of people.

I hope they pick someone who is having severe symptoms.

Medicating normal is Ok but they could all sit up etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't see Medicating Normal even though I bought a ticket.

What will it take to have doctors quit prescribing this horrendous drug beyond a week? Because a person can certainly be more than dependent by a month's time. They need to qualify the term "long term" because, to me, anyway, it brings to mind years, not days. I also hope they have some hard cases on the Netflix documentary. No watering it down. We need to send a very strong message!

I'm so thankful to the Benzo Coalition for doing so many positive things to bring about awareness!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lapis, I got an email from the Benzo Coalition. They're going to collaborate with Netflix. Did you get their email? I figured they'd sent it out to a lot of people.

Hi Terry!

I'm not on the email list for BIC, actually, so I wasn't aware of this initiative at all. It's definitely interesting -- especially because of how widely Netflix movies can be seen. I didn't see "Medicating Normal" either, although I hope I can.

The more this issue gets out there, the better. But of course, the stories need to be told with care and compassion. And they have to get the facts right. If BIC is on the scene, then hopefully, things will be done properly and the info will be solid.

I agree with everything you've said, Lapis. The fact that BIC will have much control over the documentary will help immensely! I believe they'll show how difficult it is for people to go through this because members have experienced the perils for a long period of time themselves.

What can BIC do to make sure people are portrayed correctly and not as 'head cases" as Netflix has done before?  They did a documentary series on people called "AFFLICTED" where they told people with strange and chronic illnesses (CFS, ME, hashimotos) they were going to cover it for them medically to get the word out, then made all the people look like lunatics due to editing and such. Made all the symptoms look totally made up and psychosomatic.  There were lawsuits filed and patients said they set their medical cases back years by going on that show.  Netflix had specifically promised them to help them spread information about their misunderstood diseases, then turned it all around and made the patients look like they were making stuff up for attention and such.  They did the exact opposite of what they promised, and everyone who saw the documentary series thought the patients were faking.

The fact that they are ONLY taking people tapering is concerning, as they could just as easily say "look at these people blaming withdrawal for their anxiety", as opposed to someone who went through hell and had severe symptoms but healed completely, and stuff like that.  There will be no "proof" that benzos are causing the issue if no person that was healed is on.

Lawsuit filed from chronic patients who were told their medical mysteries were going to be shown. 

https://deadline.com/2019/08/netflix-sued-affliction-documentary-defamation-fraud-1202664068/

Please be sure this doesn't happen with benzo withdrawal.