My risk taking neighbor

[Wo...]

My neighbor is taking Xanax for terrible anxiety and depression, six days a week. I warned him about this. He says taking one day off per week is going to allow him to avoid physical and mental addiction. What do you think?

Thanks,

Woolie

Some people can take benzo's and even withdraw from them without issue, we just don't see them here, maybe your neighbor is one of them.  I feel though that his thinking is flawed, there is no scientific or medical evidence to support his theory. 

Thanks for your reply. Would taking two days off avoid addiction and withdrawal? I am sure taking two days off is better than one, but my neighbor really feels he needs Xanax to function daily. Any thoughts.

Thanks

I've seen members who take benzo's sporadically develop dependence and they're surprised when they realize they can't simply stop it.  Its difficult to advise them in a taper because they've never taken it daily.  Oftentimes, they have to begin to take it daily in order to taper because they're experiencing interdose withdrawal and are miserable.  I think he's playing with fire, these drugs are powerful.  Skipping one day or even two doesn't change the fact that the brain is changing how it functions to accommodate the presence of the drug. 

I hope he doesn't have to face what we face, I'm glad you're trying to educate him.  Do you think he'd be interested in reading What is happening in your brain?

• 1 month later...
"Taking days off" does not stop any development of dependence. As Pam says, each person is different and will have a different experience. You did your job by alerting them of the problems that come along with taking these medicines, now time to worry about yourself. 

[59...]
I personally think taking a day off is worse than not taking a day off. It'll only cause sensitization. It's one thing to take a benzo once every six months (it's the way it's actually meant to be used), but taking it regularly, even once a week is quite another thing and is playing with fire.

pacenik, I agree.  That nabe could skip a day each week, but eventually it could end up biting him in the ass.  It did me.  If he hasn't been on them too long, then maybe he'd fine, but I think, the longer he's on them the chances are greater that he'll start to have problems.

• 3 weeks later...

If a chemically induced lobotomy is what you need to feel normal, maybe you don’t know what your “normal” is.

I highly recommend talk therapy. Figure out why you don’t feel normal to begin with.