Lorazepam withdrawl after 6 doses 1mg

[sa...]

Hi, I badly need help with the benzo withdrawl. I just took 2 doses of 1mg lorazepam and developed vertigo and tinnitus. So far I only took 7 pills over 4 weeks, but I am finding it harder to get off because of the terrible internal vibrations and balance issues. Last 2 doses I took 0.25mg and it still gives me horrible symptoms. I am shaking from inside and cant seem to sleep or do anything and when I walk feel like I am bouncing. Developed dry eye and blurriness yesterday. I feel so much pressure in my head when I delay taking the dose, and my chest gets tight. I am wondering if I should follow Ashton manual and switch to Diazepam 6mg per day and lower 0.5 per week or take any vitamins/herbs and stop lorazepam altogether. Appreciate any help. At the same time, I am afraid to prolong taking it. I was presumed covid, and have been sick for 3 months, not sure if this is why I had withdrawl effects immediately after a couple doses. My Vertigo and tinnitus literally started 2 days after my first dose.

sapiench: Welcome to the site! Sos sorry for what you are experiencing ...it is very possible to have reactions to any medication from the start which is called a paradoxical response - opposite to what the drug is "supposed" to do. Even if someone has a usual response, it is possible to reach tolerance on these meds after what is considered short term use.

Either way you have not been on long, or consistently, and you are already having typical wd/tolerance symptoms. Dropping from 1 mg to 0.25 was a big jump and hard on your system.

This is a hard one...I feel like maybe you should do some type of taper but you're already symptomatic and haven't been taking them consistently, but I also don't want to see you on them longer than needed.

I'm going to get another more experienced moderator to jump in here.

In the meantime, here are some links to helpful threads as you journey this.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal

The Ashton Manual

I'm glad you found us and I'm glad you haven't been on the meds for a very long period. What you are feeling is so very common. I know it is scary but know that over time it will diminish.

Thank you very much. Really appreciate it. I have an appointment with my primary care doc today as well. I took 0.25 last night, and 0.75 this morning because I am constantly vibrating and shaking inside. Yet, the vibrations are not stopping after these doses. I am worried the messed up doses that its gotten to a point where I need higher dose to be calm. But I never intended to take it everyday, just whenever I needed it. And my tinnitus never stops even on 1mg doses :(

Be prepared that most dos are not benzo- wise. maybe you can state that you feel awful on these meds and wish to be off of them but safely and slowly.

Do not let the doc replace them with another benzo type med or AD. You have to be clear about wanting to be med free.

May I ask why you prescribed them in the first place?

I was suffering long haul covid symptoms and I went to urgent care a few times in those 2 months for stomach pain, shortness of breatg and dizziness, and the folks at urgent care dismissed my symptoms as anxiety and just gave me that pill. I didnt want to take it any further, but 2 days after vertigo started, and I looked up online Ativan helps vertigo, so I took it, and it helped. Then I didnt take for a few more days, but felt worse and then took it again. And so the cycle continued. I just came to the realization that its the withdrawl and all these new symptoms are from the benzo. I have been through so much last 3 months with covid, now this! I am not sure how this is going to end up. This week has been pretty rough, barely slept, no energy and all these symptoms.

I am wondering if I could get a liquid 1mg dose of Ativan and reduce 0.05 everyday which would take 20 days to taper. And if I feel worse on any day I can stay on it until its not bad. Would that be a good idea? Are there any natural alternatives that will help while I taper? Thank you.

Omg, I'm so sorry you were caught up by covid and then this crap!

I'm hit hard by both but in a different order, got covid 4 months ago when I was in severe benzo wd.

What I figured out now is, the covid can cause extreme neurological issues just like benzo. My wd got extremely worse immediately after the virus infection, plus new sx only from the virus.

So damn the doctor gave you benzo for covid!

Please pm me if you'd like to talk more separate ly.

4 mom

I am wondering if I could get a liquid 1mg dose of Ativan and reduce 0.05 everyday which would take 20 days to taper. And if I feel worse on any day I can stay on it until its not bad. Would that be a good idea? Are there any natural alternatives that will help while I taper? Thank you.

I agree with trina75, I hate to see you stay on the drug since it appears it's doing more harm than good and it sounds like from what 4mom says that you're dealing with COVID19 symptoms being exacerbated by the Ativan. 

Can you tell us exactly how many pills and what mg you've taken since you started the Ativan? You mention taking 7 pills over 4 weeks, can you let us know your total amount since you started?

Hi Pamster,

I took 7 pills 1mg dose in these 4 weeks taking 2 or so per week. Then took 0.25 on the 15th, and 0.25 on the 16th because I wanted to reduce doses, but felt terrible. So I took 0.75 17th morning and the internal shaking has been 50% better. And took 0.65 or so today morning. So far I dont have the internal shaking too, only tinnitus and some ear pressure. Planning to reduce to 0.60 tomorrow and 0.5 and stay for a couple days, before gradually reducing over a period of another 10 days. If I feel any of the major symptoms coming back, I will stay on that dose until I feel better. Does this plan look good.

You're not the first member I've seen who's body got dependent in such a short amount of time, plus it appears as if you're suffering paradoxical like  reactions to it.  I'm so glad you're going to taper off quickly, I feel you can safely do this since you've taken so few of them.

I like your plan, you're going to be uncomfortable but what you're doing now will save you from much more misery in the long run if you were to stay on it. 

Please keep us posted about how you're feeling and if things get too unbearable, you can slow it down. 

Thank you Pamster. Today I took about 0.35mg (0.5 yesterday). So far it's ok, uncomfortable (minor tremors, some balance issues, heavy head, fidgety and tinnitus), but not unbearable. I am taking Tylenol too, dont know why, but it seems be to helping or maybe just a placebo effect. I am completely resting, just doing some breathing exercises and hypnosis videos to calm myself down on youtube, and listening to white noise. I will be reducing the dose to 0.25 tomorrow. Thank you very much. Makes me feel better I have support here.

You're using all of the right tools to get through this, your timeline is a little more aggressive than I anticipated but this is your taper and you know your body better than anyone, just pay attention slow down if things get too rough. 

You're likely to feel symptoms even after you get off of the drug but hopefully they'll be gone in a few weeks. 

Hello sapiench

Welcome to Benzo Buddies.

Withdrawal and Covid that is a lot to deal with.  I am sorry you became dependent in such a short time.  You are doing the right thing by tapering off this now. As Pamster said you will be uncomfortable but will be saving yourself more misery down the road.

These drugs are so strong and effect us all so differently.  I was on Benzos a little longer 4 ½ mos and became dependent.  There are buddies on here currently tapering Ativan that became dependent in 2 weeks. 

You have some good tools in place so that is a good start.  I hate to see you on it longer than you have to. But It is important to pay attention to your symptoms and don’t be afraid to slow down if you need to.

You are in the right pace. Not sure what I would have done without Benzo Buddies. I have found so much knowledge and support here. Withdrawal is tough but it helps to know we are not alone and have a resource to help us get through it.

Glad you are here. Please reach out if you need anything.

JuJuBi

Thank you very much JuJuBi and Pamster.

Just posting an update here: I took my last dose of 0.1mg of Ativan/Lorazepam on the 25th July. I started tapering on the 17th (9 days). Through the tapering, I was uncomfortable, but my symptoms were consistent, so I just pushed through. First day of no dose was bad (expected worse, but thankfully it was tolerable) I had bad internal vibrations, couldnt think straight, but spending time with family helped a lot. Today is the 3rd free day, and although I still have minor vibrations, headache, sore throat and choking feeling,  ear pressure and tinnitus, some other symptoms like sleep, appetite and vertigo are better. I am hoping other symptoms would slowly ease up. I will post another update after a couple weeks. Thank you very much for all the support.

Here are the doses I took while tapering off over 9 days:

0.75, 0.65, 0.5, 0.37, 0.37, 0.37, 0.25, 0.20, 0.1

Congratulations on getting of the Ativan!  I truly hope you begin to feel better soon, so much misery for so few pills, the power of these tiny pills never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks so much for letting us know how you're doing because someone else will come along who story mirrors yours and it will help them press forward.  :smitten:

im rooting for you sapiench.. I am so sorry this happened to you.. something needs to be done about Doctors prescribing this poison so recklessly and ruining perfect healthy lives..  BB saved my life.. but I just wish I found BB before I took my first pill back in April..  How do we get the message out there before more innocent people go down this path..  People only find BB after they are in crisis..  when I quit ct after 14 days and had awful withdrawals all my doctor wanted to do is prescribe more psyc drugs.  Stay strong.. you are on the right path.. and be careful of taking any supplements..  eat a whole food diet, take it easy and get some exercise in 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting Kry123. I just read your story. How are you doing this month? It's terrible how these meds make a person feel even on a few pills.

I just hate how doctors prescribe them so recklessly. I never even mentioned I had anxiety. Just because they dont know how to treat my symptoms, gave me an anxiety pill. My doctor wanted me to put me on some other pill and anti depressants , but I refused. I have been off of Ativan 1mg for 3 weeks now. 2nd week was awful than the 1st. Internal tremors, fatigue and brain fog got worse compared to 1st week. Short walks made me so heavy headed and tired. But things improved during the 3rd week. I am able to go on 2 miles walks fine. Tremors are mild, I am hoping they would subside over the next month or so. Also, TMI, my stool color which has changed to a bright yellow since the medication has now changed back to brown over last 2 days. My sleep and appetite is back to normal.

Wow sapiench, you sound like you're doing well, I'm thrilled to see you've improved over the last few weeks and you're sleeping!  I think you've turned the corner, I'm so glad you quit when you did, and even though you've suffered, it could have been so much worse.  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update. Its been 9 weeks since I quit the medication. All of the symptoms except internal tremors/vibrations got better in a month, and until last week it felt like those tremors were getting better every week. But all of a sudden last week after a stressful international travel, the tremors setback and they are more pronounced like during the 1st month of withdrawal. I do have joint pains and fatigue along with this. No idea what triggered. Does anyone know how long these vibrations last? For just 1 month of use, this feels insane. I sometimes wonder if it's even the withdrawal or I started developing some other disease. Why would symptoms fade 90% and relapse again? I haven't been taking any vitamins or pills, no caffeine and no alcohol. I might have just had more sugar last week, but I was ok when I ate more sugar few weeks ago.

Moderators,

Can you please let me know if you have seen any cases of these tremors lasting a while in people who were on the medication for such a short period? Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about your setback, your symptoms should ease up in the next week or two.  You nailed it when you said "stressful international travel", the keyword being stress.  I've seen more members fall back into symptoms over stress than just about anything else, your central nervous system just cant take that kind of abuse while you're still healing.

Like I said, you should get back to where you were and the fact that you're not drinking is a plus, that's the other thing I've seen that sends members back into acute, along with some medications and supplements. 

Thank you very much Pamster for the positive reinforcement. So glad I have this group to lean on for support. I will do my best to calm myself down and see how I feel in a week or two.

hope things get a lot easier for you. I had a slightly similar experience in that I didn't really take it for long before i started having paradoxical symptoms (which lead to me massively ramping up my benzo use as i dont know they were the problem)

Feel free to pm me to chat more, fingers crossed the wave you are in goes away soon

• 1 month later...

Thank you maccaz.

Like Pamster suggested, the tremors settled back to a state they were before. I think it was mainly due to the jetlag. Only when my sleep cycle adjusted which took about 3 weeks, the tremors reduced in intensity.

I do still have mild tremors that barely stop. Once in a while I get more shaky inside my legs which reduces in a day or two and it keeps going on even after 3 months off the medicine. I wonder if its even the medicine or covid that affected my CNS although the tremors only began around the time of medicine. Maybe my nervous system was weak from covid that made the withdrawl from the medicine worse. Planning for pregnancy in the next few months and wondering how safe it would be to try with these ongoing tremors. I am not sure I want to see a neurologist and end up taking any other medicine for it. At the same time, I am 35 and not sure if its a good idea to hold off on the pregnancy until the tremors stop which I have no idea how many years its going to be. Any suggestions?

We have many members who have gotten pregnant and delivered during benzo withdrawal and recovery, I'd start a thread on the Post-withdrawal Recovery Support board asking for input since not many members visit the introductions board once they become a member.

I'm glad things settled down for you.  If you decide to start a new thread, it would help others know where you're at if you add in your benzo free date and any other pertinent medication information.  Add your history/signature