Hello...

[Mu...]

Hello fellow Benzo warriors. Im a middle age guy about to start Benzo detox #3 since 2004. I did a cold turkey detox off 14mg of xanax in 2005. By 2008 I was back on the train using Klonopin, no more than 3mg daily. I did another cold turkey off the K-pins and stayed off for 5 years. This last run has been 3 years @ 2-2.5 mg. a day. I am again ready to get off of this train and do so by trying a long, slow taper.

The fun doesn't stop there either guys! I have PTSD and my sleep is Biphasic. I go to bed with the Owls and get up with the Chickens. I may or may not sleep at all tonight. I might get so tired in a hour I need to take a nap. This has been going on two years now.

I understand the importance NOW of tapering to not end up in the ER. I am overweight with high blood pressure. I take BP meds once a day. I also use Kratom twice a day. About 8 grams total, daily. When Im not killing myself with that salad of fun you can find me smoking cannabis to try and keep it all plastered together, and when that no longer works I pour myself 5-10 mixed drinks. This usually gets me to sleep until I wake up with a raging hangover. The drinking is a recent thing for me. Some type of way to feel better during Covid lockdown.

I dont mean to glorify any of this. Its not a good life. But like they say, dont ever give up and one step at a time. So...this benzo taper is my first step back to reality and freedom. How do we get ourselves into such messes in life? Oh yeah...poor choices OR, just not being informed.

I would like to hear about how to start a liquid taper using a syringe. I hope to start dropping every 2 weeks about 10%. If anyone has done a taper while using Kratom, I would love to here about the complexities of that.

Have a productive day!

Love,

Multifilter

Hello Multifilter and Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  We're glad you've joined us.

Congratulations on your decision to quit Klonopin.  Your plan to do so with a long slow taper is very wise.  You'll find good information and support here from others who understand this process - this can make a world of difference in successfully quitting benzos. 

We support tapering with cuts of 5-10% every 10-14 days - this helps keep symptoms to a minimum and helps you function as well as possible during withdrawal.  Many members find it helpful to go even slower. 

Please explore the site at your own pace.  I'll give you a links to help you get started including a board that has information on liquid tapers. You'll find information on Kratom by using the site's search function.

The Ashton Manual  is a great resource on benzo withdrawal by a leading expert in the field.

These boards are relevant to your situation .Please feel free to post with questions:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Insomnia 

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Again, welcome!  We're glad you found us!

Brighterday.  :)  

Hello Multifilter,

Welcome. I appreciate your sarcasm.

Couple of things from the. ....been there, done that perspective.

I am sure you are already aware of the benzo/ alcohol correlation.  If you are having paradoxical affects from the Benzos (as I unwittingly did)  You are reaching for the alcohol to steady the nerves.  I’m also sure you are figuring out this cycle isn’t working out well. 

I did a CT from Xanax and Ambien and I ,too, reached for the alcohol. Didn’t understand why at the time.  I do not recommend a CT (mine was not pretty).  My suggestion is to plan your slow taper with an eye on the alcohol.  You will need to work in a taper for that as well.  Or at least, watching that you do not increase drinking to offset the be nzo taper.

Does anyone remember chemistry class and “ I will never use this shit.”  Guess what?  We have scales, and syringes and stuff. Who knew.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been alcohol free for a couple weeks so its go time to start my taper.

My questions are what foods to avoid and how to accurately cut my 2mg dose by 10% every two weeks or how to liquid taper. I will check out the links posted above.

Thanks!