Propanolol, please give me your experience, good or bad

[Je...]

Hello. I’ve had a rough couple of days. My doctor wants to start me on 80mg of propanolol daily. Main symptoms have been palpitations, racing heart, chills, etc. y’all know the routine. Problem is that I’ve had so many bad reactions to things it scares the daylights out of me to try something new. I’ve never taken a beta blocker before. Please give me your input on your experiences, it is much appreciated.

I am pretty sensitive to medications. I just started taking propranolol yesterday. I’ve been doing 10 mg twice a day. It has helped immensely with my tachycardia and palpitations so far. I would encourage you to start low and see how you feel. My doctor prescribed 20 mg every 6 hours, but knowing my sensitivity I figured I would start off lower and see if I get the desired effect, so far so good.

Just tired my first dose a week ago i was prescribed 40mg so I took 10mg to test and it hit me pretty hard. It sedated me for a while which was nice at fist but then it just evolved into feeling yuk.

I started feeling nauseous, breathlessness, heart rate would not go above 75 while walking (norm for me is 90), too weak to move. I’m already very sick and react to everything, but I also think it has caused a small uptick in symptoms since then.

Hello. I’ve had a rough couple of days. My doctor wants to start me on 80mg of propanolol daily. Main symptoms have been palpitations, racing heart, chills, etc. y’all know the routine. Problem is that I’ve had so many bad reactions to things it scares the daylights out of me to try something new. I’ve never taken a beta blocker before. Please give me your input on your experiences, it is much appreciated.

I take atenonol which is a beta blocker, and I assume similar to the one you're prescribed. It's been a life saver for me, as it has helped with the really bad heart palpitations, chills, etc. I did have to go through a week of some side effects such as cold hands and feet, running to the bathroom a lot, but now I am fine. It's helped me a lot and now that I think of it, I probably should've been on these and not put on clonazepam for anxiety.

I took metoprolol for heart palpitations. It helped with the palpitations, but I felt awful. I was constantly tired and my mood became very low. I had to stop after a week. Im almost 21 months off and chest pain and palpitations are my only remaining issues.

Good luck,

Fp

I took carvedilol for "palpitations" i.e. irregular heartbeats. It was helpful, but I ended up over-medicated and like Fp, experienced extreme fatigue. I cut the dose in half and felt immediately better . . . no fatigue and a control of my irregular heartbeat. So beta blockers can be helpful, imo, but be careful that you don't get over medicated.

Best,

Katz

My psych prescribed me 10mg and told me to cut it in 1/2. I have had severe reactions to medications so she wanted me to try a low dose. I never filled it, so can’t say how it is. 80mg seems high but I’m not a dr.

So I was just diagnosed with “SVT”.

I don’t think it’s related to w/d....I’m guessing it was triggered by high stress and maybe w/d helped trigger it. But it’s not a common w/d symptom so I’m guessing my body had it inside all along.  Anyway - today was my first day on propranolol and they prescribed me 120mg extended release because I’m being treated for the SVT. But it got rid of all my w/d symptoms too!

Today was the best damn day I’ve had in 2.5 years

No relentless pounding

No heart flutters/skips

I feel so damn releaxed and chill. I was so scared to take the medicine too. But I’m so glad I did.

No relentless pounding

No heart flutters/skips

I feel so damn releaxed and chill. I was so scared to take the medicine too. But I’m so glad I did.

I'm so happy for you, Meganz. May you have many more good days!

:smitten:

Katz

So I was just diagnosed with “SVT”.

I don’t think it’s related to w/d....I’m guessing it was triggered by high stress and maybe w/d helped trigger it. But it’s not a common w/d symptom so I’m guessing my body had it inside all along.  Anyway - today was my first day on propranolol and they prescribed me 120mg extended release because I’m being treated for the SVT. But it got rid of all my w/d symptoms too!

No relentless pounding

No heart flutters/skips

That is so great to hear!! Now soak up those sweet baby snuggles!  :smitten: :smitten:

Great to hear Meganz! It has to feel great not having those palpitations and thumps all day long. Mine have recently diminished over the last couple of days - I hope the trend continues. Glad to hear you had a great day and here's to hoping you are on your way to many, many more.

Take care,

Fp

Great to hear Meganz! It has to feel great not having those palpitations and thumps all day long. Mine have recently diminished over the last couple of days - I hope the trend continues. Glad to hear you had a great day and here's to hoping you are on your way to many, many more.

Take care,

Fp

Thanks FP! I’ve noticed Gatorade helps relieve the palps too!

I’ve noticed a lot of my issues start in the gut. Sometimes Pepto calms my stomach down and then calms me down. It’s weird. I can’t tell if it’s a physical thing giving me heartburn and this anxiety or anxiety giving me the heartburn, GI issues.

But yes Gatorade helps me out too.

• 2 weeks later...
[84...]
AccusedUndead, I had the same thing happen to me on the betablocker. Once when I was in withdrawal and once after withdrawal. At first sedation and being really cold and sleepy then later high heartrate and readings!

Way better jmo than metropolol. Helps with palps, tachys, anxiety and panic. No complaints here.

I drink a ton of Gatorade and water when having anxiety and palps, also water with Pedialyte, it really helps......thanks for all the info. must look into a Beta Blocker not only for anxiety but for my much to high blood pressure.  Much good luck to everyone.

If this is happening to some of you guys and water and gatorade are helping, then you guys might want to see a cardiologist.

I went to one and he pretty much told me that I don't really have GAD, which I always knew my issues were physical. I have a not so rare heart condition which 25% of Americans suffer where a valve doesn't pump blood the correct way, and the minute your dehydrated you start feeling heart palpitations. If you smoke, drink alcohol, do heavy exercise without proper hydration, eat super spicy food, you will feel heartburn ten times more, feel your heart like it's beating out of your chest. It feels like a heart attack or mimics a panic attack.

Beta blockers helped me a lot, my BP is pitch perfect, my heart rate is superb, and it helped with my anxiety.

I was diagnosed finally during wd with atrial fibrillation and was kept in hospital for 2 days, first given iv electrolytes then metoprolol and flecinade. Metoprolol and flecinade made me very sick like others, bad nausea weak and fatigued. I take electrolytes every few days and that keeps it manageable X

I was diagnosed finally during wd with atrial fibrillation and was kept in hospital for 2 days, first given iv electrolytes then metoprolol and flecinade. Metoprolol and flecinade made me very sick like others, bad nausea weak and fatigued. I take electrolytes every few days and that keeps it manageable X

You should try atenonol. It did make me sick the first week too. I felt really fatigued and just wanted to be in bed the whole time, but after that I was never better. I think it's actually kept my tolerance at bay, sometimes I feel as though I don't even need the Kpin.

That’s really interesting. I will keep it in mind for sure. My heart has been a little better the lower my dose goes but at least this is a back up  :)

I only tried it once. 10mg a few days ago and I noticed instead of making me sleepy it woke up my brain more and had difficulty falling asleep even more so. After two hours it made my pins and needs and tremors feel better but the next day when it wore off it hurt even more. I woudl have contineud to take it if it would help with sleep. I was wondering if I should continue to use it and if it will get better with more use or larger doseage? Or should I try a different beta blocker?  Has anyone had sleep issues with one beta blocker but slept better on another one?  I know propanolol has worked wonders for some people in their tapering.

[b7...]

Insomnia is a common side effect of beta blockers x

I stopped Propranolol due to insomnia and I'm sleeping much better now.  I added it to the list I titled "Things That Didn't Work".  ::)