Tell Me Why I Shouldn’t Go Back on Remeron (mirtazapine)

[Po...]

I’m about done in. I’ve been here on BB for some time. Got off Xanax successfully, got off doxepin successfully but getting off mirtazapine has been a trip through hell. This spring after an 18 month taper from 7.5 (which I got to after a long taper from 15mg) I finally got off. Then 10-12 days later discontinuation sxs started hammering me. So I reinstated to 1mg where I’m at now. Been there for a month. I wake up most mornings feeling awful, feel awful much of the day and then feel better by bedtime only awaken in the middle of the night and next morning feeling awful again. I think back to when I was stable at 7.5mg and feeling much better, I think, and wondering why I shouldn’t just give up and reinstate at 7.5mg and live with that the rest of my life.  Won’t be perfect I’m sure but I’m so tired of having no life like it is now, feeling awful all the time. I’m starting to think all the years on a benzo and doxepin that my brain doesn’t know what to do without some sort of psychotropic on board. On rare occasion I take a tramadol for back pain and always notice I feel lots better the next day (it has some AD properties) only to fall back into the same rut later. Tell me why I shouldn’t just give up and go back. 

[d3...]

Obviously, it's an individual decision.  I totally understand where you're coming from.  You've been at this for a long time.

Maybe it's appropriate for you to at least take a nice break from tapering and feeling lousy.  The world doesn't come to an end if you increase your mirt to a level that gives you some relief.  Maybe you can do it with less than 7.5 mg???  Maybe hold for a while (as long as you want) and see how it goes.

Just my 2 cents...

If you are not having problems on it then why not stay on it.

I should never have tried to come off of diazepam.

I should not have brought into the idea that these meds are all bad.

I had come off pf all ADs years ago, then cocodomol, tramadol, Zopiclone.

I was only on low dose of diazepam. I should have stayed on it.

I think when you taper the last meds all hell breaks loose.

I got off everything else fine because it was being buffered by the benzo.

I had no tolerence, interdose WD and had even cut my diazepam dose in 2017.

I should have left it at that.

I’m about done in. I’ve been here on BB for some time. Got off Xanax successfully, got off doxepin successfully but getting off mirtazapine has been a trip through hell. This spring after an 18 month taper from 7.5 (which I got to after a long taper from 15mg) I finally got off. Then 10-12 days later discontinuation sxs started hammering me. So I reinstated to 1mg where I’m at now. Been there for a month. I wake up most mornings feeling awful, feel awful much of the day and then feel better by bedtime only awaken in the middle of the night and next morning feeling awful again. I think back to when I was stable at 7.5mg and feeling much better, I think, and wondering why I shouldn’t just give up and reinstate at 7.5mg and live with that the rest of my life.  Won’t be perfect I’m sure but I’m so tired of having no life like it is now, feeling awful all the time. I’m starting to think all the years on a benzo and doxepin that my brain doesn’t know what to do without some sort of psychotropic on board. On rare occasion I take a tramadol for back pain and always notice I feel lots better the next day (it has some AD properties) only to fall back into the same rut later. Tell me why I shouldn’t just give up and go back.

I think I asked you this before? Are you doing anything in your life that could be contributing to your struggles? Do you smoke, drink, not drink enough fluids? Are you taking vitamins... do you exercise? How is your thought life, your faith, your habits? I obviously don't know you and I'm not judging you but only you can answer the question that you presented based on your life habits, etc.  I know for me that when I'm exercising, drinking enough water and eating right.... I feel much better.  When I'm heavy laden with worry, fear, unhappiness I feel terrible.  I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself as a whole, your health, etc and make the decision whether to reinstate or not.  You did put in a lot of work to get so low and it would be a shame to lose all that groundwork for something other than Mirt.  Check the side effects of any other meds that you take and try to figure out if it could be something else.  I do know how it feels to feel horrible and I am facing a taper myself.  I'm sure I will find out how Mirt tapering effects me as well.  Whatever you decide... it's your decision but make sure you are at peace with whatever you chose to do.  :thumbsup::smitten:

I try to eat healthy and exercise regularly. I’ve been dealing with a couple other health issues. Just had an atrial ablation for atrial flutter and I was just diagnosed with small intestine bacterial overgrowth which may be a gremlin that’s making me feel bad. Oh and I have a low back problem so I think what’s going on is multifaceted. I did get down enough to stop but that was when I was dealing with adjusting my Bp med and had to reinstate the mirtazapine to 1 mg. Then there’s the fact I was in a benzo and AD for 20 years so I think my brain is permanently screwed up. It’s all a mystery really that’s hard to figure out

I try to eat healthy and exercise regularly. I’ve been dealing with a couple other health issues. Just had an atrial ablation for atrial flutter and I was just diagnosed with small intestine bacterial overgrowth which may be a gremlin that’s making me feel bad. Oh and I have a low back problem so I think what’s going on is multifaceted. I did get down enough to stop but that was when I was dealing with adjusting my Bp med and had to reinstate the mirtazapine to 1 mg. Then there’s the fact I was in a benzo and AD for 20 years so I think my brain is permanently screwed up. It’s all a mystery really that’s hard to figure out

Ok.. that was helpful.  Maybe it will take a little longer for you to completely heal from the psyche med tapers.  Twenty-years is a long time to be on any med and I've heard the longer you are on meds the longer it takes to feel better when you get off.  Again..  reinstating is totally your choice.  I know for me in particular... I start going into tolerance on meds, they don't work any longer and then I start getting bad side effects.  I know that Mirtazapine is really bad for your digestive system... especially the liver, and the pancreas.  That is why I am stopping it because I'm having digestive issues.  Weight gain, bloating, weird stool (sorry).  I don't want to have problems so I'm starting a slow taper tomorrow.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Message me any time!!!