Anyone else? No sleep or 2 hrs, Extreme Morning Anxiety, Tremors, Sweats, Panic

[Fr...]

I am scattered, so please bear with me.  I can't think straight. 

I am experiencing the worst morning anxiety.  This is far worse on Mirtazapine.  Anyone else have this?  I used to dread going to bed, now I dread mornings and the entire days as this is torture.  I went CT on clonazepam 9 days ago, only to be put back on to the tapered dose of .25 3 times per day.  It is as needed not to exceed 3 tabs.  Then, was switched to Diazepam 4mg twice per day, and landed in ER last week (one day later). 

Nobody seems to understand my early morning symptoms or my body reaction to the clonazepam.  I wake with stomach ache as well, every morning.  I am never able to sit still after waking.  Too tired to get up...but I pace.

I seem to get stomach aches within about an hour of taking clonazepam and also, the periods of sweats are driving me round the bend.  Within an hour, again, of taking the clonazepam, I am so hot and have the extreme sweats, then the cold sweats.  The stomach cramps, nausea, body pains and all are just too much.  I am feeling so many things at once that I cannot describe in words.  I read it here, in many posts so I know that those here understand.

It's as if I am in constant extreme fear 24/7 and is unbearable!

This is the worst experience with discontinuing benzos EVER.

Oh sigh...another wave is here....how will I get through??????  Due for dose of .25 clonazepam (as needed), but afraid to take it.

FragileBird

Hi FB,

You're really in the thick of acute withdrawal and you're suffering awful symptoms. I'm sorry the professionals who have treated you haven't understood your early morning anxiety is a very common symptom in withdrawal.  Unfortunately, many medical and psych professionals aren't given adequate training in benzo withdrawal and the result is we, the patients, are left thinking there's something inexplicable going on. Fortunately, people here can relate, and we understand what you're going through. Benzo withdrawal is hard - we need all the support we can get.

The fear you describe is also a hallmark of benzo withdrawal. For many of us anxiety and fear is off the charts in early withdrawal.  Take a look at this piece - it will help you understand a lot of what's going on:  What's happening inside your brain

Also please take a look at Chapter III where it discusses withdrawal symptoms.  You'll recognize many of your symptoms including stomach pain: The Ashton Manual

I'm wondering about the wisdom of taking clonazepam as needed.  I think it would make more sense to take consistent daily doses so your central nervous system has a chance to stabilize.  Every change in dosage has an impact and throws of the CNS which then scrambles to find equilibrium.  I think planning sticking carefully to a very slow, consistent taper would be the kindest thing you could do for your body and it will help minimize your symptoms. 

You will get through this.  It isn't easy.  Try to get through each day, one moment, one hour, at a time by practicing good self care.  Be gentle and kind to yourself.  Try to distract yourself with activities that will help shift your attention away from your symptoms and help burn up that anxious energy. Reach out for support from members here.  We understand.

Wishing you much strength and healing,

Brighterday

Thank you BrighterDay,

Right now I feel unglued.  This is just horrible.  My concern is also they want me to take Mirtazapine which has I feel, harmed me.  The professionals are dismissing my concerns and real feelings from withdrawal.  I know how my body and brain feel on different meds and now in withdrawals even more.

I agree:  "I'm wondering about the wisdom of taking clonazepam as needed.  I think it would make more sense to take consistent daily doses so your central nervous system has a chance to stabilize.  Every change in dosage has an impact and throws of the CNS which then scrambles to find equilibrium."

I got nowhere in my psych update.  "As needed" is how I ended up back on benzos again. Refusal to take additional meds will likely get me kicked out of the program I am in now.  I need to have a chat with my trusted gp so that I have a back up plan for tapering. 

None of this makes sense right now.  Tonight is bad.....this wave is sooooooo bad.

I have had great difficulty reading, taking things in, making lists even, I can't think.  Please know it's why I am slower at reading recommended articles, but I

really am trying.

I'm in tears again from this intensity in the pit of my stomach and being told to "relax" is not helping as I can't relax in this much pain.

Thanks so much,

🐥FragileBird🐥

Adding new medications or supplements during withdrawal can make it hard to know where symptoms are coming from.  So it's hard to know how the mirtazapine is affecting you.  There are a lot of threads where mirtazapine is discussed - especially on Other Medications  that might help you sort out whether you want to continue with it.

I understand about having trouble taking in all the information.  Earlier in withdrawal when I tried to read pieces like What's happening inside your brain I could barely process a fraction of it - it felt like reading and translating an unknown language.  This "cognitive fog" is itself a withdrawal symptom.  The fog has lifted a lot over time but still has a way to go. 

I know you feel miserable.  You may even fear you've lost yourself forever.  I know I was gripped by that fear.  But healing happens.  It happened for me and healing is happening for you.  But it takes time.  You will keep moving forward through each hard day, doing your best to take good care of yourself, knowing it will all be worth it. 

Hang in there!  You can do this!

Brighterday

Thank you Brighterday!

You have put my feelings into words.  My brain has kind of disappeared at this time.

I have tried to locate the article, I can find the topic and responses but no actual article.

I am so discouraged, but perhaps is just a minor blip?

🐥FragileBird🐥