Agitation Ideas?

[Me...]

Anyone have anything that helps them with the agitation?  I don't mean just being restless and pacing.  I mean the horrid, relentless, need to go to the ER because my brain is screaming for sedation, can't think around it or through it agitation. 

The other day it wasn't as strong and I did some EFT tapping and that seemed to make it go away for a few minutes.  Anything else work for anyone?  Solutions only please.  I'm very susceptible to major depression right now so a success story would be very welcomed.  Love you all

lavander smells (test proven that it has same effect as 5mg V's if smelled for 20mins or more)

This is interesting, Leandra.  May I ask where you got your information?

this is not fight or flight adrenaline/anxiety...yoga meditation and essential oils are good for that, but the agitation is much much stronger...like a violent attack on your brain

thanks violet--too cold to do that here

I have been walking barefoot like Violet recommended.  I think she called it grounded.  It helps.  Yes Teakettle when its 25 below i am going to run to the mailbox barefooted. :thumbsup:

Found this info online that describes this the best that I've found. 

What are some of the main symptoms of Akathisia?

■Extreme agitation/restlessness

■Inability to sleep/insomnia

■Profound anxiety/terror/panic

■Feeling like you’re jumping out of your skin

■Feeling a need to run away

■Agoraphobia/claustrophobia

■Dark, scary thoughts

■Psychotic-type behaviors

■Anger/aggression

■Inability to sit still or lie down

■Feeling like it will never end

■Muscular tension/strain/weakness/ticks

■Loss of appetite

■Confusion

■Memory loss/amnesia

■Flushing/hot flashes

■Erratic heart beat

■Erratic blood pressure

All caused by med or med withdrawal.  This site said something about Benadryl, but haven't tried that and don't want to recommend anything to anyone.  Just what it said...something else that takes time to reset.

lavander smells (test proven that it has same effect as 5mg V's if smelled for 20mins or more)

Hi Leandra,

Could you please provide a link to support this claim?

Hello

If its to cold to walk barefoot, try a Bare Dash/Run to the mail box & back.

Teakettle

I tried that and got arrested. Bare ass run in the daytime should be avoided. All those people pointing and laughing at me  :pokey: If I was french it would be ok.... Oh you said Bare Dash.......

Nevermind

:D

Hello Buddies

G-man

I was thinking of when you Steaked to your mail box, when I made the suggestion to memom.

Tell the truth G-man, didn't all the Police/Media attention help you to not think about withdrawal for a few days?

Teakettle

Hi Leandra,

Not quite, but here's some info @ http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/lavender-000260.htm

Medicinal Uses and Indications:

A number of studies have reported that lavender essential oil may be beneficial in a variety of conditions, including insomnia, alopecia (hair loss), anxiety, stress, and postoperative pain. However, most of these studies have been small. Lavender is also being studied for antibacterial and antiviral properties. Lavender oil is often used in other forms of integrative medicine, such as massage, acupuncture, and chiropractic manipulation.

Insomnia or Agitation

In folklore, pillows were filled with lavender flowers to help restless people fall sleep. Scientific evidence suggests that aromatherapy with lavender may slow the activity of the nervous system, improve sleep quality, promote relaxation, and lift mood in people suffering from sleep disorders. Studies also suggest that massage with essential oils, particularly lavender, may result in improved sleep quality, more stable mood, better concentration, and reduced anxiety. In one recent study, people who received massage with lavender felt less anxious and more positive than those who received massage alone. Several small studies suggest that lavender aromatherapy may help reduce agitation in patients with dementia. Lavender flowers have also been approved in Germany as a tea for insomnia, restlessness, and nervous stomach irritations.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender

Medicinal use

Lavender is used extensively in herbalism and aromatherapy.

English lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) yields an essential oil with sweet overtones, and can be used in balms, salves, perfumes, cosmetics, and topical applications. Lavandin, Lavandula × intermedia (also known as Dutch lavender), yields a similar essential oil, but with higher levels of terpenes including camphor, which add a sharper overtone to the fragrance. Mexican lavender, Lavandula stoechas is not used medicinally, but mainly for landscaping.

Essential oil of lavender has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It was used in hospitals during WWI to disinfect floors and walls. These extracts are also used as fragrances for bath products.

According to folk wisdom, lavender has many uses. Infusions of lavender soothes, heal insect bites and burns. Bunches of lavender repel insects. If applied to the temples, lavender oil soothes headaches. In pillows, lavender seeds and flowers aid sleep and relaxation. An infusion of three flowerheads added to a cup of boiling water soothes and relaxes at bedtime. Lavender oil (or extract of Lavender) heals acne when used diluted 1:10 with water, rosewater, or witch hazel; it also treats skin burns and inflammatory conditions.[citation needed]

A recent clinical study investigated anxiolytic effects and influence on sleep quality. Lavender oil in form of capsules was generally well tolerated. It showed meaningful efficacy in alleviating anxiety and related sleep disturbances

Hello Buddies

G-man

I was thinking of when you Steaked to your mail box, when I made the suggestion to memom.

Tell the truth G-man, didn't all the Police/Media attention help you to not think about withdrawal for a few days?

Teakettle

It was a definite distraction.  :laugh:

Well, I ran out and got the Lavender oil and have lit the midnight lamp, I can tell you it smells very nice in here!

The girl at Nutrition House told me she also uses it for anxiety and depression and thinks it helps, so here's too breathing deeply!

I will report back....

Well, I ran out and got the Lavender oil and have lit the midnight lamp, I can tell you it smells very nice in here!

The girl at Nutrition House told me she also uses it for anxiety and depression and thinks it helps, so here's too breathing deeply!

I will report back....

Well, it certainly smells nice in here, luckily I haven't had this agitation for awhile.

Conclusion - Inconclusive

Hello Buddies

G-man

Teakettle

It was a definite distraction.  :laugh:

This sounds oddly tempting. 

Hi Leandra,

Not quite, but here's some info @ http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/lavender-000260.htm

Medicinal Uses and Indications:

A number of studies have reported that lavender essential oil may be beneficial in a variety of conditions, including insomnia, alopecia (hair loss), anxiety, stress, and postoperative pain. However, most of these studies have been small. Lavender is also being studied for antibacterial and antiviral properties. Lavender oil is often used in other forms of integrative medicine, such as massage, acupuncture, and chiropractic manipulation.

Insomnia or Agitation

In folklore, pillows were filled with lavender flowers to help restless people fall sleep. Scientific evidence suggests that aromatherapy with lavender may slow the activity of the nervous system, improve sleep quality, promote relaxation, and lift mood in people suffering from sleep disorders. Studies also suggest that massage with essential oils, particularly lavender, may result in improved sleep quality, more stable mood, better concentration, and reduced anxiety. In one recent study, people who received massage with lavender felt less anxious and more positive than those who received massage alone. Several small studies suggest that lavender aromatherapy may help reduce agitation in patients with dementia. Lavender flowers have also been approved in Germany as a tea for insomnia, restlessness, and nervous stomach irritations.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender

Medicinal use

Lavender is used extensively in herbalism and aromatherapy.

English lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) yields an essential oil with sweet overtones, and can be used in balms, salves, perfumes, cosmetics, and topical applications. Lavandin, Lavandula × intermedia (also known as Dutch lavender), yields a similar essential oil, but with higher levels of terpenes including camphor, which add a sharper overtone to the fragrance. Mexican lavender, Lavandula stoechas is not used medicinally, but mainly for landscaping.

Essential oil of lavender has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It was used in hospitals during WWI to disinfect floors and walls. These extracts are also used as fragrances for bath products.

According to folk wisdom, lavender has many uses. Infusions of lavender soothes, heal insect bites and burns. Bunches of lavender repel insects. If applied to the temples, lavender oil soothes headaches. In pillows, lavender seeds and flowers aid sleep and relaxation. An infusion of three flowerheads added to a cup of boiling water soothes and relaxes at bedtime. Lavender oil (or extract of Lavender) heals acne when used diluted 1:10 with water, rosewater, or witch hazel; it also treats skin burns and inflammatory conditions.[citation needed]

A recent clinical study investigated anxiolytic effects and influence on sleep quality. Lavender oil in form of capsules was generally well tolerated. It showed meaningful efficacy in alleviating anxiety and related sleep disturbances

Thanks for the information, Dh  :thumbsup:

I have been using lavender for a long time due to its relaxing proprieties., but found the claim regarding its equivalency to 5 mgs of Valium to be highly inaccurate to the say the very least.  I would hate for any of our members to be put off using this natural remedy for fear that it would act like Valium.  I've been using pure drops, pillow sprays, body wash and lotion for as long as I can remembers and if it had had the same effect as Valium, I doubt I would have ended up on rotten benzos in the first place  :)