Alcohol after Ct'd 25 days?

[fr...]

I was on 3mg daily Klonopin for 8 years. I am on day 25 of CT. I feel about 75% better, still have general anxiety and cognitive problems. What happens if I drink beer? Some people on here say it brings you back you acute withdrawal for weeks but I don't understand how if the benzo you are withdrawing from is not put back in your system. Does anyone have personal experience with alcohol after quitting a benzo?

Alcohol and benzos work on the same receptors in your brain. You were on klonopin for a long time and your system is very likely still healing. Alcohol can cause a big setback and it’s recommended to abstain from alcohol consumption until fully healed (whatever that looks like for you, as it’s different for us all).

When alcoholics go to detox they're given a benzo to stave off the worst of the withdrawal symptoms, people call alcohol liquid benzo's.  I'd hold off drinking for awhile, I've read so many horror stories. 

[b0...]
Just do a search.  You will probably regret it and be worse than you can imagine.  Don't mess with fire.

Nope no alcohol. And there are other things that mess with gaba that can effect recovery too. Don’t take magnesium ,valerian, gaba sups, ashwagonda, some antibiotics, steroids. Go look up a list of things known to couse setback and stay away like the plague. If you feel like your 75% healed, that’s great, then protect it because it does not have to stay that way. I wish someone would have told me this because Iv had a few huge setbacks and now hear I stand at

Somthing like 21 months and I’m in an unholy hell worse then acute.

[b0...]

What made you have a setback after 21 months? How long was your window before the setback?

He's been in acute for 21 months now probably from drinking or something.

The last few months have been my most horrific yet. Iv only had a window twice for about a week. Otherwise I’ve spent most of withdrawal Just getting sicker and sicker from different things mostly magnesium and I drank beer like 5 times because I dint know what I was doing. My CT was already a roller coaster of fear, I could barely see which way was up, let alone figure out why I was not healing. I remember in one of my windows, my brother and his freinds came over with beer. I searched “can I drink” on benzo buddies and read a post of people saying they Drank once in a while. So I drank that night. What I dint know was that there was a big difference between them and me because they we’re tapering.

I really wish someone would have messaged me when I got hear and said “look, if you don’t know what your doing, your going to couse further damage”. But no one said that, they just told me “you will heal! you will heal!” I feel like, especially for CT, that’s the information that can save lives and we need to be screaming it into the ears of new buddies.

Been drinking beer every night throughout my taper. I find it takes the edge off. I enjoy drinking and even the occasional binge (though haven’t done that since long before this taper process started) Not going to give up that part of my life to this process.

[b0...]

Been drinking beer every night throughout my taper. I find it takes the edge off. I enjoy drinking and even the occasional binge (though haven’t done that since long before this taper process started) Not going to give up that part of my life to this process.

You need help.  Your an alcoholic if your drinking every night.

You need help.  Your an alcoholic if your drinking every night.

perth22,

We don't diagnose and we don't judge, your comment is unacceptable.

Pamster

You need help.  Your an alcoholic if your drinking every night

Perth22

Many people drink regularly. Not against the law.  Calling John an alcoholic is the same as calling anyone on this forum a drug addict. 

Thank you! Drinking every night is not the same as getting drunk every night. Enjoying a couple beers with dinner is not in my view alcoholic behavior.

John, you are lucky to be able to enjoy a beer while tapering. I would love to be able to have a beer here and there myself, but it hasn’t worked out for me, so I’ll wait until I’m healed. Ashton even says it’s not a problem to enjoy an alcoholic beverage as long as it’s not in excess, which your consumption is not excessive. Maintaining some sense of normalcy in withdrawal is crucial to success and if a beer here and there is part of that process, more power to you. I feel that way about coffee. I have to have my morning cup, it’s something I look forward to and enjoy the routine of making it. Be well.  :smitten: :smitten:

While it's crass to yell "alcoholic!" (especially since there's no indication of alcoholism), it would be wrong to shy away from highlighting alcohol use as an aggravating factor in benzo withdrawal. Basically, if you care about getting better, you should just forget about alcohol for a long while. That one move would immediately improve your prognosis.

Perhaps it could be argued that someone who is capable of logical thinking and who hears the arguments against drinking while in benzo withdrawal but still does it... is potentially an alcoholic.

Like John Hunter I enjoy a couple of drinks a few nights a week.  Having a glass of wine with dinner (I love to cook), has helped me feel normal throughout this process.  My grandparents were immigrants from Italy and so we learned to enjoy wine with our dinner.  As a kid they even gave us a tiny cup of wine so we could raise our glasses and toast with the adults. 

But I do agree that alcohol can be a dangerous drug and it is easy to over indulge.  Ask yourself these questions and be honest with yourself.

Have you had problems with alcohol abuse in the past?  Are you drinking to forget about your problems?

Are you drinking too much and passing out?  Is it difficult to stop?  Do you crave alcohol?

Answering yes to any of these means you should avoid it.  also, if it makes your symptoms feel worse, then avoid it.

Otherwise, having a couple of beers to be social is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone is different, I can't take any sort of medication, couldn't even tolerate Valium to taper properly, was only taking it occasionally for muscle pain and stopped due to adverse reaction. Been in a worse hell for the past week after trying magnesium for a few days. Had 2 glasses of wine last night out of pure desperation and I feel good today, bar some intrusive thoughts 1st thing this morning.

As I said everyone is different

There is accumulating evidence that even one drink per night is harmful, benzo withdrawal or no benzo withdrawal. I know I will not have alcohol for at least a year after I finish my taper and then no more than once a week. I don't really need the alcohol high and there are other ways of attaining it...

Interesting...is the evidence suggesting harmful to the liver, brain, both?  Just curious.  I have a single beer one or 2 times per week now that I am 4 years off.  But I would be willing to drop alcohol completely just for my overall health!

I doubt the occasional beer or glass of wine will cause any worse damage than years of benzos personally, but can understand people's attitude towards anything that might cause a relapse of withdrawal