No Better, No worse during taper.....should I go slower or?

[Ti...]

I started by tapering too fast (didn't know better) and have recently been taking .125 off each cut and holding for 7-10 days.  I'm currently at .75 mg /day which I take in three equal doses, and am contemplating my next cut.

Here's the thing that confuses me:  my pre-taper interdose withdrawal sx were muscle aches, irritability, GI issues, restlessness and skin hypersensitivity.  In the beginning I had this fantasy that by switching to dosing three times a day I would get some form of relief since the level in my blood would be more constant (I took once a day pre-taper).  However, my symptoms have stayed pretty much the same in the two months I have tapered.  No real windows, no real waves.  I'm starting to wonder if my issues were ever benzo related at all....but it's probably just messing with my mind.

I know the conventional wisdom dictates a slow taper that could take me many more months and would require a switch to a liquid solution for accuracy.  If my symptoms have been consistently the same before and during the taper, is there any reason to prolong this taper process?  My alternative would be to continue a dry taper, maybe taking .0625 off each week from here on out, and wrapping this up sooner rather than later.  If I'm going to feel the same level of "bad"....wouldn't it be better to get this out of my system in 6 weeks rather than 12 or more?

I can't tell if my body is healing or struggling, I feel the same as I did pre-taper, basically.  If the heavy duty healing starts after the last cut, and I've not had any real windows thus far, wouldn't I want to get to the last cut?  Or should I really go slowly.....?  So confused. 

[75...]

The idea of doing a slow taper is so those symptoms stay at a manageable level.  It sounds like you're managing OK even if you're not feeling great. 

Doesn't surprise me too much that you're feeling the same now as pre-taper since it seems you were already pretty deep into tolerance withdrawal.  You probably weren't receiving much therapeutic benefit anymore.

fwiw - I also had very few waves/windows. 

I think that you move toward a healed state with every cut, so healing is happening.  Obviously, healing won't be complete until after you're at 0, but don't rush it.  A lot of people get impatient and make a big jump to zero and end up regretting it.

The idea of doing a slow taper is so those symptoms stay at a manageable level.  It sounds like you're managing OK even if you're not feeling great. 

Doesn't surprise me too much that you're feeling the same now as pre-taper since it seems you were already pretty deep into tolerance withdrawal.  You probably weren't receiving much therapeutic benefit anymore.

fwiw - I also had very few waves/windows. 

I think that you move toward a healed state with every cut, so healing is happening.  Obviously, healing won't be complete until after you're at 0, but don't rush it.  A lot of people get impatient and make a big jump to zero and end up regretting it.

Thank you for commenting  -  it's helpful to hear your thoughts.  I hadn't thought about being deep into tolerance withdrawal, but after 7 years of use, it makes sense.  Gosh this drug messes with me.  The physical symptoms are so real and painful....and I've chased down so many diagnoses for so long.  I appreciate your thoughts.... 

TikiHut

I am new to this experience and less than a week into my taper, and I would encourage you to believe your body. My Ativan use was relatively short, and for months I chased every doctor and test to try to account for what was happening to me, which I now know was inter-dose w/d. After 7 years, I would imagine your body will hurt, but by the looks of things, a slow taper will save you future symptoms if you rush your nervous system through too quickly.

Wishing you peace and success on your journey!

Maria

You're doing really well. It's a great problem that you have, one that some people may be envious of. How do you know you are going as fast as you could if you're feeling alright?

It's not really as much of a problem as you think it is. From what I read, eventually withdrawal catches up to pretty much everybody. You're not losing time, you're getting ahead of the game. It's a good thing for you. All you have to do is guard against complacency. I would advise you to keep going as you are but be mindful that it could get more difficult. In a few months time, you might be writing "never had any problems all through my taper and then bang, hit with a million symptoms". That's when you need to take stock of what you're doing and tweak things up a little. You will know very well that this needs to happen but unfortunately, part of the deal is that your brain won't be working properly, so we can end up making some pretty stupid decisions. Hopefully you will have the presence of mind to put the breaks on so that you can restore normal functioning.

I'm rambling a bit. Basically, you're doing really well. Keep on as you are, but be ready to slow down when things get more difficult.