What happens?

[fr...]

What happens if you take a benzo after being benzo-free for 25 days? Do you go right back into withdrawal or do you have to take the benzo for an extended period of time before you become physically or mentally dependent again?

[d7...]
It's kind of a crap shoot.  You'll read sometimes where a person does a single 'reprieve' dose and it's no big deal.  You'll also find posts where people do a single dose and really regret it.

Thanks. What happens if I drink beer? Some people on here say it brings you right back into acute withdrawal but I don't understand how if your not reinstating benzos back into your body?

[d7...]

Alcohol targets the same GABAA receptors that benzos target, albeit in a different manner.  That GABAergic system seems to get messed up after time on benzos which can make alcohol a problem.  Drinking alcohol during withdrawal feels much the same (generally pretty nice), but a few hours afterwards withdrawal symptoms can get really nasty, and can persist for days.

I tried a beer early in my withdrawal.  It didn't go well - 3 bad days followed.  I can (and do) drink just fine now, but it's been years since I saw a benzo. 

You'll find a few people who drank during withdrawal, but very few.  Also - if/when you start drinking, go really easy on it to begin.  Starting with 3 IPAs and a shot is not a good idea.