Should I use a scale for a Mirtazapine taper or do a liquid taper? Please Help!

[Ra...]

Hi... many of you may know that I successfully tapered off Clonazepam in a little over two years by doing a liquid taper.  I have been Benzo free for 5-months now... yeah and feeling pretty good.  I am taking a very low dose of Mirtazapine for sleep and I believe it isn't working anymore so I am ready to do a very slow taper... like 5-10% a month so that I can be med free!  Should I mix the pill with water and taper like I did with the Clonazepam or crush the tablet and use a scale? Can anyone help me?  Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much!!!  :smitten::thumbsup:

Since you did a water taper with the Clonazepam, you might be more comfortable sticking with that method.  Congratulations on your benzo freedom and feeling pretty good.  :thumbsup:

Hi Raquel. I'm tapering with liquid Mirt. I tried tapering it with cutting and weighing since I did that with trazodone but it did not work because the 7.5 pill is so small. I could not get an accurate dose. I was able to get a compound pharmacy to make it up for me, but others have used water with oraplus and it worked. It needs the oraplus to make it a suspension. Just go slow with the taper.

Becky

[a0...]

Hi Raquel. I'm tapering with liquid Mirt. I tried tapering it with cutting and weighing since I did that with trazodone but it did not work because the 7.5 pill is so small. I could not get an accurate dose. I was able to get a compound pharmacy to make it up for me, but others have used water with oraplus and it worked. It needs the oraplus to make it a suspension. Just go slow with the taper.

Becky

I started with ora plus but it gave me headaches and diarrhea. I just use water now.

Becky

I started with ora plus but it gave me headaches and diarrhea. I just use water now.

Does it dissolve with just water or do I need milk or vodka? I used just a tiny minute amount for the Clonazepam and didn't have any issues. 

I'm not sure about the alcohol or milk. I believe you have to crush the pills first. A member I read does that with a mortar and pestal. Then he adds water and oraplus. I read that you can also use maple syrup. The maple syrup or the oraplus creates a suspension which helps to give a more accurate dose. You just shake it up and take out your dose. Are you on a facebook mirtazapine page? I am. It's called mirtazapine should be illegal. It's a private group and you can get more answers there if you want to.

Becky

Becky

Unfortunately, I don't have health insurance or money to go to the P doc for a prescription for liquid.  I'm not working due to Covid and have about a month or two to taper so I need to make what I have work. I'm wondering if a little alcohol or milk would work.

Titration FAQ's

I'm not sure about the alcohol or milk. I believe you have to crush the pills first. A member I read does that with a mortar and pestal. Then he adds water and oraplus. I read that you can also use maple syrup. The maple syrup or the oraplus creates a suspension which helps to give a more accurate dose. You just shake it up and take out your dose. Are you on a facebook mirtazapine page? I am. It's called mirtazapine should be illegal. It's a private group and you can get more answers there if you want to.

Becky

Thank you Becky, I will look for the group.  :smitten:

Mirtazapine will not go into a homogeneous solution in water alone. It clumps in water. You have to make a suspension using something like OraPlus.

[a0...]

Mirtazapine will not go into a homogeneous solution in water alone. It clumps in water. You have to make a suspension using something like OraPlus.

Mine does not clump in water.

Well I’m going by what a registered pharmacist told me, that it will not go into a homogeneous solution, must be compounded in a suspension.

Yes... that is what I've been told.  Pokey there are several Mirtazapine groups on Facebook with a lot of help when it comes to Mirtazapine.  This forum is great but it's more specific to Benzo's.  I get a lot more feedback and support on the Facebook groups and they are of course private!!!  :thumbsup: