Use Lunesta to taper off ambien

[ho...]

Told Dr I wanted to get off ambien after being on for almost 25 years, she told me to stop taking the 10mg ambien and switched me to 2mg Lunesta. I am afraid to stop ambien cold turkey. Can I start the

2mg Lunesta as I taper off of the ambien? Please help

Not sure why you want to stop taking Ambien if you're going to basically go onto the same drug, they're both Z drugs, both classified as non-benzodiazpenes so I don't see the point of switching to Lunesta, you might as well stay on the Ambien.  Did your Dr misunderstand your desire to be free from the Ambien, do you wish to taper it and be free of sleeping pills?  I see from your other posts that you're tapering Ativan, I'd wait until you're free from that and recovered before attempting another taper.

Pamster..thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that ambien affected your brain more like ativan and that Lunesta didn't. Am I misinformed?

Yes, you are misinformed.  As Pamster said, they are both Z-class drugs that are "hypnotics" and while they say they don't work the same as a Benzo, many have experienced the same type of WD from Z-class drugs.  Aloha has a lot of knowledge and experience coming off of Ambien.  Maybe he'll chime in?