Active ingredient NOT evenly distributed

[Ma...]

How can a dry cut taper be accurate when active ingredient is not evenly distributed throughout the pill?

Googled it.  When a pill is split, there may be different amounts in each half of the pill. Since the active ingredient in each pill is not usually evenly distributed throughout the pill, this may lead to one half containing more of the active ingredient than the other, giving it more potency.

[4f...]

Googled it.  When a pill is split, there may be different amounts in each half of the pill. Since the active ingredient in each pill is not usually evenly distributed throughout the pill, this may lead to one half containing more of the active ingredient than the other, giving it more potency.

Be careful about Googled results.  One can find virtually anything via Google. 

I'm sure that there is some minor difference when the pill is split, but mostly because pill splitting is kind of approximate.  Pills are made by making a big mixture of drug and inert ingredients and pressing them into pills.  If the mixture wasn't uniform, then some pills would contain medicine while other pills might not.  It wouldn't just be that one half of a pill had more/less than the other half.  Pills are routinely checked for potency, and if some clumping had caused a big variation in pill potency, the batch would be destroyed.

It's a bit like making a big batch of sugar cookie dough and making cookies out of them.  Have you ever encountered a cookie with no sugar?  Probably not, and bakeries don't mix nearly as thoroughly (or are subject to as many confirming tests) as a pharmaceutical company.

So when you shave (file)  a pill, for a micro dry cut, is the active ingredient in every shave?

I've wondered about this.  From my understanding which may be incorrect, the pill is mainly fillers with a small amount of medicine that is not evenly distributed in the pill. 

[4f...]

Again - if the medicine wasn't evenly distributed then it would be impossible to know the dosage of pills.  Yes, the pills ARE mostly fillers, but the medicine is well distributed.

I've actually analyzed replicate CBD pills from batches for CBD content at the lab.  Just like benzos, the CBD content in the pills is very low compared to the weight of the pill.  So most of the pill is fillers.  The company we test for has us test several individual pills for consistency, and they're always very consistent.  Clearly, the stuff is mixed very well.

Thanks for explaining that, Badsocref.  It makes perfect sense.

I've talked to so many people about even distribution and learned that clinically speaking (my sis-in-law runs a clinical testing lab) the pills truly are not evenly distributed. She said it's actually hit  or miss and that taperers usually don't notice big changes in wd symptoms because they're decreasing at such a slow rate. It just usually isn't a big deal unless someone has done a pretty large cut and most/all of it was filler. I know that some people really love the dry cut taper, but it does seem that many change to liquid tapering at the end if and only if they have to go down to really small doses. Liquid is much easier to measure and more user-friendly at small doses but it depends on what someone's definition of "small dose" is. If one person jumps at .01mg of a med and another jumps at .10mg, then it may not be a big deal for less concentrated meds like Valium. Do that with klonopin and that's a different story since it's so concentrated. Heck, everybody is different...we just follow our gut and do what works for each of us. Keep doing what you're doing. You'll get there (and us too)!! :)