My Doctor said take propranolol for anxiety as I need to get it under control

[ch...]

Hi

I am wondering what to do re propranolol

I am almost 7 months off diazepam 4mgs having taken in for 20 months including taper for 14 months

I was prescribed it for anxiety after being tried on sertraline for a month or so, then stopped by the Doctor as I was hyperventilating, 

The later tried on pregabalin for a week which made me feel like a zombie and housebound, 

I was given propranolol but took only a dose or two , as it did not help control the now strong anxiety that had not been so severe before.

I was then given diazepam and after a very short time it made me worse and worse,

However I was told it was my anxiety state and to keep taking it until the  had me on a treatment whatever that might be

I think they meant an AD, but I could not get onto the one they tried which I had taken  5 years previously at the lowest dose and so I was left on diazepam and very unwell

Massive weight loss , dry heaving, 

I tapered down to 2.5mgs  after 3-4 months but suffered a great deal and went into hospital for 3 days where they put me back to 4mgs, 

I started my taper again and tapered for 14 months down to zero, but ill all the way down

Now I am almost 7 months off and not recovering that well and the Doctor says I need to get the anxiety under control as the stress will eventually kill me

She says to take propranolol 10mgs x3  a day as it is for anxiety and does not work on the brain,

I really don't know what to do

I am afraid of all drugs now and have tried to stay clear of anything including supplements,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this drug for anxiety,

I don't want to do anything that will prevent homeostasis taking place, and I fear this drug might do that

Any advice would be most welcome

Thank you in advance

Jen

Why not try it for a few days to see if it helps.

Have they made sure your anxiety is not being caused by a physical health issue such as SVTs etc?

Hi Jen. I know everything is a risk but propanolol helped me a tiny bit last summer and IT'S NOT A PSYCH DRUG. So I'd try it. It's soft acting. Those 10mg  pills I took two or three in a row. I'd start with one. Read the prospect. I remember one did nothing for me but three made life slightly more bearable but not while in acute wd, but after a month into the updose I was still in terror all day but then the propanolol started helping a bit. It's not a miracle drug but it might help.

It is really just a drug that lowers your heart rate. Not a psych drug, which is good. It can work well if you are nervous, like some people take it right before giving a public speech. You could give it a try?

I tried during raging acute and it did not help me, but I definitely gave it a shot. Of all the drugs for anxiety...I would say it is one that is least invasive?

Hydroxicine is fine too. I haven't seen anyone here reporting an adverse reaction and it was certainly not addictive for me. It won't do a whole lot but it can bring down the anxiety a tiny little bit.

Thank you everyone,

I really am in  such a state and it's making all the other symptoms even harder to  take

I can be really calm in the evening even though everything else is bad, and then it starts all over again in the morning and now at 9am it really is bad

The box says 3  times a day as required for anxiety

I don't know what is best, I just want to bring  this down a bit

The doctor wont prescribe hydroxizine I have asked more than once ,

I  feel in such a mess and don't know how to control this,

If I take it 3 times a day I will end up on a something else to taper that might not help,

I do wish this would ease down a little so that I can get on with life,  All I try doesn't seem to touch it,

No one can live this way and nothing seems to distract from it, especially at the peak of it which is around now.

I know others try herbal teas but not sure that is good or safe either. 

Will this in any way prevent healing?

in such a panic and not a lot I can do

I have already been for  a walk but that has not helped

I have to take into account that this is my very bad day as opposed to my bad day but no one can live this way for sure.

so panicked  yet in the evening I can be so calm,

Maybe this is cortisol and I need to bring that down I have no idea,

Life used to be ok until this and now its' been over 2 years of real suffering

It all is too much for me at my age

thank you all once again , 

Hi Jen have you started taking the meds how are you doing. Think it's beta blocker which lowers your heart rate, if you get racing heart with the anxiety will probably help that. I know how you feel taking citalopram left me in a terrible state, I'm nit taking anything else for now Tried NAC supplement but has wacked up symptoms so stopped,. I did get some hydroxyzine privately but didn't help. I take chamomile tea that is quite calming. Think I've just go wait it out unfortunately. The years on zopiclone made me super sensitive to anything else. Would be worth trying the propranolol if doctor thinks your health being affected not like taking the ghastly anti depressants. Let us know how you go, I feel like my nerves completely shot at moment.