What could this be, please help!

[ne...]

I've decided to taper off Klonopin 0.5mg after taking once daily for 5 months for anxiety and insomnia. I don't know what's happening to me now though cause I haven't started my taper yet  and these past few days have been bad, and when I do manage to fall asleep, I jerk back awake ever so often and then even though I'm drowsy as hell, I feel a fear/unbearable anxiety in my stomach that keeps me awake feeling like my heart is pounding and all the circling thoughts. Plus I feel a strange taste (bitter) in my mouth. I don't know what the hell is happening and I feel like the medication I'm on is not helping me and I really just want to get off it. Has anyone experienced these symptoms and please tell me what is happening to me?  :'(

Hi neuroprism,

It's possible you've developed tolerance for Klonopin and as a result you're experiencing these symptoms.  When people develop tolerance the medication can lose its therapeutic effect.  Symptoms like insomnia and anxiety can come roaring back with a vengeance.  This may be what's happening with you. And it's the reason people often start down the path of increasing their dose.  Another good reason to taper off. 

I know it's unsettling and can be miserable to go through;  you may experience these sorts of symptoms as you taper but you will do a slow taper which will help keep symptoms to a minimum.  You will also learn and develop new ways of managing symptoms like insomnia and anxiety.  You really will.

Take care,

Brighterday

Paradoxical symptoms, Tolerance Withdrawals, interdose Withdrawals.  I went many years being told that I had fibromyalgia and other such stuff.  You have become tolerant to the drug and your system therefore needs more to maintain its new normal.  Good thing you are already planning to quit because this is most likely your system giving you a wake up call.  You do not need to suffer for.many years with no clue what is happening.  It is going to suck, but you know now and while the k tells you that you cannot get through this= it is Most assuredly a lie.

I was on K-pin too. If you are already having sleeping issues, I would start your taper as soon as you can.  Unfortunately things usually get worse before they get better and true healing doesn't really begin until you are completely off.  Look through some of the older posts on the this page (insomnia) for answers to most, if not all of your questions.

All of the symptoms you are experiencing are "common" and "normal" at this point. Benzos are a beast and can literally cause 100s of different symptoms.  You most likely reached tolerance and are having "inter dose withdrawal symptoms" at this time?

It does get better over time.  All of the symptoms caused by Benzos are temporary and slowly go away after you are off.