Adrenaline surge all night with body jolt. Is this a life sentence?

[ja...]

Hi all,

I am 10 weeks off from a stupid rescue dose. (Valium with a long half life) Which took me back into acute.

My constant symptoms have been adrenaline surge all night.

At take my melatonin at 5 pm. I go lay down at 6.30pm. And fall asleep at 7pm. I wake up every couple of hours with adrenaline surge, heart racing. I pray and pray and do some affirmation such as "I love my symptoms " then I have to jerk around 5 to 7 times before falling asleep again. I keep doing this until 3 to 4 am. It usually takes me 1 hour to fall back to sleep. Sometimes when the fear is too strong, I wake up my hudband in the middle of the night and we go for a walk.

I did a search and I saw that some people have this at 3+ years out which sent me into a tailspin of panic.

Did you have this and did it go away for you?

I accidentally read some scary thread on people who never heal and who don't come on here anymore because they went back on benzo. I don't ever want to go back on head meds.

Please help.

[0f...]

I had very similar jolts falling asleep and waking up.  They eventually resolved.  They occurred less and less frequently and they got less intense when they did occur.  I'm sure I was finished with 90% of them by the 9 month mark (maybe sooner).

It sounds a bit to me like you're trying to force yourself to accept what's going on (I pray and pray and do affirmations...).  To me, acceptance is different (simpler) than that.  It's just relaxing about the situation - not adding additional emotions or thoughts.  I'm sorry but nobody loves their symptoms - convincing yourself of what's not true isn't accepting or affirming IMO.  Acceptance is seeing things for what they are without adding anything.  Then you move on, and let the past be the past.

Reading about some other person's bad experience only added more negative emotional energy.  I'd invite you to not do that.  It doesn't help.

This does take some time for most to heal, but it's not the same symptom intensity the entire time.  Symptoms come and go and fade and increase in intensity over time.

I will be 4 years off next month and my sleep isn't perfect, but it's 100% better than it was the first year off. 

Please don't make other people's story your story.  Each recovery and healing experience is unique to that person.  They all play out differently even if you were on the same drugs for the same time period.

The biggest mistake I made was reading the doom and gloom posts and then making them my recovery story.  That simply isn't true.  You can get past this, but TIME is the healer.  There are no magic potions, pills or supplements that will speed this up.

Symptoms are "temporary" and your body knows how to repair the temporary damage caused by Benzos.

You'll get past this.  Be patient.  Be positive.  Stay away from negative posts and people.  I would literally be very well off financially if I had $1 for every time I thought I wasn't going to heal!  :thumbsup:

I'm sorry Jasmine. I'm having this too at 19 months off. It's insane this is happening this far out. Has anyone had this and gotten better?

dont forget everyones experience will be different. you just can't tell/ so no point predicting and scaring yourself. you'll have to train the body to relax again. i used trazadone and prozac for a crutch for a couple of months, but now no crutches. all is ok

The all night adrenaline surges have gone away for me this week. I pray that they stay away. I wake up in the middle of the night and can go back to sleep. The jerks have diminished as well. They only show up the second part of the night after 1 am. I think this is because my cortisol are high at that time.

The morning surges are still here. This is my worst symptom.

[0f...]

The all night adrenaline surges have gone away for me this week. I pray that they stay away. I wake up in the middle of the night and can go back to sleep. The jerks have diminished as well. They only show up the second part of the night after 1 am. I think this is because my cortisol are high at that time.

The morning surges are still here. This is my worst symptom.

I'm glad things are getting a little better.  Really glad you're getting back to sleep.  Mornings are the worst for a lot of people.  Eventually, they'll get better too.