Safest Way to Dispose of Discarded Portions (Milk Titration)

[Ta...]

Hi, Buddies!

Not sure if I'm posting this question in the right forum, so if it has to be moved, that's cool!

I'm doing a milk titration, cutting by 1 ml every 12-14 days.  (So far, so good!)  I don't want to dump the discarded portion down the sink or flush it, so I've just been putting it in a separate jar.  (I don't use the discarded portion for future doses, as I had a concern [unfounded, perhaps, but a concern nonetheless] that the discarded portions would ultimately either add up to "too much" benzo or "not enough" for another dose.) 

Currently, I'm cutting about 9 ml per dose, so obviously the discarded portions are starting to add up.  I was initially putting the discarded portion into coffee grounds, but pretty much stopped drinking coffee.  I also accidentally dumped water into one of my discard jars; the curdled milk has risen to the top!

Like I said, I don't want to flush this or dump it down the drain.

Does the benzo "deactivate" once everything starts to go sour?

Would dumping the jars into kitty litter be a good option?  One jar is partially full of coffee grounds and discarded benzo that has separated; the other is the milk and "accidental water addition" with the curdled milk that has risen to the top.  My guess is there is benzo floating around in the water portion, as well.

Perhaps I'm making too much of this, but really want to do this safely, so hoping someone has some experience or ideas on this!

And yeah, I realize this is probably an odd question, but figured this was the best place to go to find someone who has dealt with this.

Thanks so much for any help with this, and with all the information regarding titration in earlier posts!

Tapering Off

I used to pour mine onto some newspaper in my ordinary kitchen trash. (I used milk to get from 1mg to 0.83mg)

I didn't reuse the leftovers obviously, but I think you could as long as the milk is still good. If you trust your dosage from the measured amount you take, would you also trust the measured leftovers?

What concentration are you using, i.e. how many ml per mg?

Hi, and thanks for responding!

I'm using one 0.5 mg pill clonazepam in 50 ml milk.  I dose once daily (at night) and make a new batch for the next day after taking that dose.  I know that bigger batches can be made to last a few days, and it's probably easier to do it that way, but this method is the one that fits best for me.  Eventually, I'll get to the point where I can get more than one dose out of each pill, but in the meantime I'm just looking for a way to responsibly get rid of the discarded part of my regular dose, and what I've already accumulated.  Thus far, the titration has been going okay, so I don't want to mess with it!

So, I could just dump what I've got into newspaper and that would be a safe way to dispose of it?  It's important to me that I get rid of this safely.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Tapering Off

Just popping in to say hats off for recognizing the importance of disposing of the unused portion of your homebrew liquid in a safe manner.  I haven’t researched it but seem to recall reading something about kitty litter as well.

Might I also add that your concern re: saving/using the discarded portions of your homebrew liquid is NOT unfounded.  Per the Titration: FAQs, in the absence of stability testing, we do not know how much of the active drug substance (ADS) is present in these homebrew liquids at any given time.  What we do know (see citation below) is that a nonsterile liquid that contains water (milk contains water) must be used before it is at risk for physical or chemical degradation (or microbial contamination). If you want to learn more about potential interactions between water, the ADS, and the excipients in regular tablets, ask “Dr. Google” about hydrolysis. :)

imho, you are wise to make a new batch every day. Are you also treating your homebrew liquid as a suspension instead of a true solution?  (i.e. agitating it before you quickly measure your reduction)?

Citation:

USP Compounding Standards and Beyond-Use Dates (BUDs)

https://www.usp.org/sites/default/files/usp/document/our-work/compounding/usp-bud-factsheet.pdf

Hi, Libertas, and thanks for responding!

Yes, I do shake the liquid a couple of times during the day, and then right before taking my dose.  I draw up what I need, and then discard the rest of it.  (Right now I'm at 41 ml, so it's four draws on a 10 ml syringe, plus 1 ml.)  Also, if I'm not mistaken, you are the person who linked me to the calculator when I had a question about figuring out cuts and percentages, and that has been very helpful.  Thank you!

Kitty litter or newspaper might be the way to go, it seems, but would certainly welcome more input from folks who have any other ideas on a safe way to do this.

Thanks again to those who have taken the time to respond!

Tapering Off

Hello, Tapering Off.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things taper wise.  Well done!

Thank you so much for letting me know the calculator was helpful.  It’s proven to be the only tool I need for taper planning and adjustment.

You’ve now inspired me to research safe disposal methods. Like you, I look forward to hearing from other members on this.

Libertas