Thyroid and Benzos

[...]

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I know my TSH numbers shot through the roof while I was on benzos, and went back down to regular high when I got off. No doctor said anything; no one noticed, which is to be expected. So I know there is some association. Can anyone tell me if benzo hell could have triggered my Hashimoto's?

And why my TSH climbed so high while I was on benzos?

I also know that according to holistic/integrative docs, a damaged gut and thyroid problems go hand in hand. Well, benzos damaged my gut - that's clear to me. So did it cause my thyroid to get worse also?

Any recommendations for a top quality holistic thyroid doc in NYC?

I'm so overwhelmed, and I feel so sick all the time.

Thanks,

Nony

I'm dealing with this same exact thing. Don't have Hashi's but I have hypo and I waited two years to do anything about it because I wanted to give myself enough time to heal from benzos as possible but now I'm tired of feeling like double crap. I started Levothyroxine two weeks ago and we will see what happens.

I know there's a lengthy explanation on here about how benzos affect thyroid function but it was way way over my head. Maybe someone else will chime in.

[38...]

Hi Nony,

I just had a complete blood work  that included hormones and thyroid tests. My values are somewhat ok with some issues on T3. I just started to see the doctor on the video that lives here in ATL. He is a very good holistic dr and he mainly does Muscle effort test.  The aim is to fix the digestive system first in order to have a baseline and then see if this helps. He put me on some supplements that seems to help. In my case I took an antibiotic together with benzo but we have to be carefull. We have a tendency to blame benzos for everything and sometimes problem show up becase of age or other issue.

You are not wrong trying the holistic way first. Regular doctors will put you on pills before going to the root of the problems.

Hope you have the video informative.

Mice

I watched it - it was good. But the doctor didn't say what to do about Hashimoto's. He just said what not to do. Any ideas?

I skimmed through it. Thanks! What about diet, not supplements?

no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, nothing pushing like caffeine for example.

Breakfast is a must, and if you have it in the first 90 minutes after waking up, perfect.

[38...]

I'm on a low carb diet. Not 100 % Keto although the dr I'm seeing promotes it. You have to be careful with supplements. I wouldn't take anything that may help on the mental side. I learn my lesson after taking L theanine. What I take are mostly from vegetarian and animal sources, whole food support mainly. I think what you eat and how healthy the digestive system is has a lot to do to what happened with the rest of the body. I will give nutrition, exercise and mental relaxation thru meditation a try before taking any chemicals. This is just me.

Hope it helps!

Mice 

Also, there is a ton of information on a website called stop the thyroid madness. It's a great resource.

Hashimoto can be healed with diet and life changes. It is a sign your body needs a rest but I have seen so many people heal it without hormones and meds. I was near to it, too, and could fix it. My low thyroid has improved also. But you need to learn about the function of the thyroid, the adrenal glands and which nutritients you need. But this is manageable. And yes - on benzes and each other medication, my thyroid became more sick.

I am still in recovery from that.

Hashimoto can be healed with diet and life changes. It is a sign your body needs a rest but I have seen so many people heal it without hormones and meds. I was near to it, too, and could fix it. My low thyroid has improved also. But you need to learn about the function of the thyroid, the adrenal glands and which nutritients you need. But this is manageable. And yes - on benzes and each other medication, my thyroid became more sick.

Marigold, can you talk about what you did to improve it without meds? I've only been on the Levothyroxine for 2 weeks but would much rather prefer natural remedies. There's so much info on the internet that it feels overwhelming. I've taken NOTHING since the benzo crisis and never was a pill-popper before them. I would love to know what  you did to cure yours.

I never could tolerate synthroid.  I take Nature-throid.  It's desiccated pig thyroid.  Armour is also the same stuff.  Some people with severe thyroid problems do need medication.  Both my sisters have non-functioning thyroids and must take replacement therapy.  If your thyroid doesn't work at all I don't see how you can fix it with just your diet.  If your TSH is above a 2, you could be hypothyroid.

I never could tolerate synthroid.  I take Nature-throid.  It's desiccated pig thyroid.  Armour is also the same stuff.  Some people with severe thyroid problems do need medication.  Both my sisters have non-functioning thyroids and must take replacement therapy.  If your thyroid doesn't work at all I don't see how you can fix it with just your diet.  If your TSH is above a 2, you could be hypothyroid.

This is actually not correct. But it might be that in my country the markers are handled in a different way.

Here you don't get thyroid hormones when you have a TSH between 4 and 0.

Especially if you dont have symptoms, and many people just dont feel bad with a TSH around 4 so there is no need to medicate.

Hypothyroism is considered to start above a TSH of 0, but it ALWAYS depends on T3 and T4, and on the longterm development of all markers. TSH alone does not show any reliable information if looked on it without the others.

Of course there are some doctors who even treat patients who feel tired with levothyroxine to give them an extra push in the morning, and that way harm their patients thyroid, but mostly hormones are not given just because of a TSH marker.

But we are not able to buy hormones or products like nature thyroids from pig and so on without a prescription.

Marigold, can you talk about what you did to improve it without meds? I've only been on the Levothyroxine for 2 weeks but would much rather prefer natural remedies. There's so much info on the internet that it feels overwhelming. I've taken NOTHING since the benzo crisis and never was a pill-popper before them. I would love to know what  you did to cure yours.

My way to eat and live is the result of years and I dont think its good to tell you to eat exact the way I do it or to take the remedies I took.

There is a book or several books from the author Dr kharrazian - I can recommend them if you want to learn about the thyroid function and in order to find ways to treat it without high amounts of hormones. Of course I cannot tell you not to take a medication you need, I am not your medical professional and I dont know your blood results and so on.. The books are good to check if the informations your doctor has been given to you like "you have hashimoto" are really correct and the options how to react on it.

It is important to understand that regarding hormones, there is no single remedy or pill. The hole system has to be healed. Nutrients, supplements, life style changes, diet... the good thing is, a lot more problems are solved at the same time, at least this happened to me:-)

My diet is based on what I have learned from Steven Acuff:

https://2c08912f-dd92-4d0e-b442-84e55dde71bb.filesusr.com/ugd/64c89a_59bc407c730848b5a22454e98abf11d0.pdf

And I take a bunch of supplements. I take these following the rules of biochemistry, I learned which nutrients have to be covered first, and then step by step could fix all lacks my body was suffering from. Everything I do is based on bloodwork and other tests and I check my hole "program" every 5 months. Its excessive but I notice so much improvement that this is just my way to heal. I would never say take this or that - because one has to know the individual body. Just one example, if you have low iron levels, people swallow iron. But dont know why iron is low. The body has a reason for everything. Thats why today I look on the process which lays under the problem and I provide all "members" of the process, - and in the end the problem is gone and stays "gone" because its not about substitution its about healing. Its hard to explain, it can be really complicated..

The only thing I share without having doubts is what is bad for the body, like sugar, pushers, glutamate, artificial stuff, gluten and so on.

Same for the histamine discussions. It is just not as simple as saying avoid glutamate or histamine or gaba. The body just does not work that way.

Thank you. I appreciate all of the comments. Here in the US thyroid is considered normal between .5-3.9

Mine has been around a 4 for the last two years but I've been obviously going through benzo withdraw and wanted to wait it out as long as I could. I have all the symptoms such as weight gain, hair falling out, etc.

My endo only tested my TSH and wouldn't test anything else. She put me on Levothyroxine 25mcg which I've been on for over two weeks and I'm feeling way worse the last two days. So I called the office today because I need to get off of this junk and it's closed for the next 3 days because of the July 4th holiday.

I'm scared to cold turkey for obvious reasons here, but think I should. I feel so sick. And I've only been on it two weeks at a low dose. Been searching the internet for hours to find out if there is a danger in doing so for such a short usage but can't find anything. Very scared here and very sick  :P

Thank you. I appreciate all of the comments. Here in the US thyroid is considered normal between .5-3.9

Mine has been around a 4 for the last two years but I've been obviously going through benzo withdraw and wanted to wait it out as long as I could. I have all the symptoms such as weight gain, hair falling out, etc.

My endo only tested my TSH and wouldn't test anything else. She put me on Levothyroxine 25mcg which I've been on for over two weeks and I'm feeling way worse the last two days. So I called the office today because I need to get off of this junk and it's closed for the next 3 days because of the July 4th holiday.

I'm scared to cold turkey for obvious reasons here, but think I should. I feel so sick. And I've only been on it two weeks at a low dose. Been searching the internet for hours to find out if there is a danger in doing so for such a short usage but can't find anything. Very scared here and very sick  :P

weight gain and hair falling out can happen with a low thyroid but it does not have to be the only reason. I once had a TSH of 10 and felt horrible, but no hair loss, no weight gain. Please find an end who does not only look on the TSH, this is pure nonsense and really dangerous as well. You dont know which hormones are causing what. Please check out the books and find a new doctor who knows better. TSH can change so quickly, if everyone would swallow Levothyroxine because of the TSH.. its ridiculous. The TSH will react on a flu, on adrenal fatigue, infections, autoimmune diseases, lack of nutritions..

Without having the hole picture, and also an ultrasound of the organ itself, the thyroid (to see if the size is okey, no knots, tumors...) - you cannot just start to give a patient a hormone!!

If you find a proper endo, please get the markers of the adrenal glands checked also. DHEA, cortisol, HPA, HXA, adrenaline and so on. In the end, its an adrenal fatigue and should be treated differently. ...

oh dear. I think I have to become a doctor. ..

weight gain and hair falling out can happen with a low thyroid but it does not have to be the only reason. I once had a TSH of 10 and felt horrible, but no hair loss, no weight gain. Please find an end who does not only look on the TSH, this is pure nonsense and really dangerous as well. You dont know which hormones are causing what. Please check out the books and find a new doctor who knows better. TSH can change so quickly, if everyone would swallow Levothyroxine because of the TSH.. its ridiculous. The TSH will react on a flu, on adrenal fatigue, infections, autoimmune diseases, lack of nutritions..

Without having the hole picture, and also an ultrasound of the organ itself, the thyroid (to see if the size is okey, no knots, tumors...) - you cannot just start to give a patient a hormone!!

If you find a proper endo, please get the markers of the adrenal glands checked also. DHEA, cortisol, HPA, HXA, adrenaline and so on. In the end, its an adrenal fatigue and should be treated differently. ...

Then please be mine!!!

She did check cortisol and a few things. My DHEA was out of whack. I don't know. I have horrible healthcare in the state I live and I'm just so tired of being sick. If it was just Benzos, I can wait that horror out. But having more health stuff on top of it, especially hormonal stuff that affects the ENTIRE body and brain, I just don't know if I have it in me. Thank you again.

Then please be mine!!!

She did check cortisol and a few things. My DHEA was out of whack. I don't know. I have horrible healthcare in the state I live and I'm just so tired of being sick. If it was just Benzos, I can wait that horror out. But having more health stuff on top of it, especially hormonal stuff that affects the ENTIRE body and brain, I just don't know if I have it in me. Thank you again.

If she just took DHEA and cortisol out of 1 blood sample and not out of saliva over the hole day, also these markers just mean nothing. Because they react on stress, on what you ate, how you slept, - you just cannot rely on just these kind of blood tests. Makes no sense. If you want to see if your adrenal glands still function and HOW and when they struggle - you need to monitor one hole day and not just take the blood when the patient is in your office.

What do you mean with DHEA "was out of whack"? English is not my mother language...

I would say try to find an expert for hormones before you start taking any hormones. If DHEA was low for example your body is not able to produce enough hormones for the thyroid, but then it makes no sense at all to substitute the hormone for the thyroid, when you have to start earlier in the process. To make it simple: Pregnelolone makes DHEA makes Thyroid hormones. (Its more complicated than that, but just to show you the process. When you have a problem at the beginning of the process, you need to find the solution right there, instead of pumping DHEA or Thyroxine into the body. OR you can STIMULATE the hole process from the beginning - but this just requires a professional who knows about the biochemistry behind that instead of looking on a paper from a lab and then giving meds to patients without knowing how they work in the body. It sucks, really, and I am sorry, that you need to search a new doctor. BUT - things can change for the better quickly, under the correct treatment. So chin up!

Then please be mine!!!

If she just took DHEA and cortisol out of 1 blood sample and not out of saliva over the hole day, also these markers just mean nothing. Because they react on stress, on what you ate, how you slept, - you just cannot rely on just these kind of blood tests. Makes no sense. If you want to see if your adrenal glands still function and HOW and when they struggle - you need to monitor one hole day and not just take the blood when the patient is in your office.

What do you mean with DHEA "was out of whack"? English is not my mother language...

I would say try to find an expert for hormones before you start taking any hormones. If DHEA was low for example your body is not able to produce enough hormones for the thyroid, but then it makes no sense at all to substitute the hormone for the thyroid, when you have to start earlier in the process. To make it simple: Pregnelolone makes DHEA makes Thyroid hormones. (Its more complicated than that, but just to show you the process. When you have a problem at the beginning of the process, you need to find the solution right there, instead of pumping DHEA or Thyroxine into the body. OR you can STIMULATE the hole process from the beginning - but this just requires a professional who knows about the biochemistry behind that instead of looking on a paper from a lab and then giving meds to patients without knowing how they work in the body. It sucks, really, and I am sorry, that you need to search a new doctor. BUT - things can change for the better quickly, under the correct treatment. So chin up!

Here was that particular lab result:

Component: DHEA-Sulfate

Your Value: 27ug/dL

Standard Range: 35- 430 ug/dL

"Out of Whack" just means it wasn't within range. Sorry to the OP that I am monopolizing your thread.

My problem is that I need a naturopath to check those levels the correct way but there are none in my state. I keep reaching out to others but they charge $3000 or more and I don't have that kind of money. If I knew they could help me for sure then I would find a way but that's a big "IF."

If I were taking the Synthroid at a low dose for just two weeks, I'd just stop it.  Synthetic levothyroxine made me very ill and made me feel worse: weak, tired, anxious, etc.  I take desiccated pig thyroid, Nature-throid.  It makes me feel better since it contains T3, T4 and bunch of other T's.  I've had hypothyroidism for decades.  I believe diet is important, but in many cases it's just not enough.  A TSH above 2 can produce many hypothryoid symptoms.  Read Mary Shomon's website and books.  She understands this disease really well.  I keep my TSH around or below a 2.  If my TSH is around a 4, I feel terrible.  I used to get tested all the time and for years my TSH was at a 4 and the docs told me it was normal.  Then one smart doc gave me replacement thyroid when my TSH was over a 2 and it really helped me. 

If I were taking the Synthroid at a low dose for just two weeks, I'd just stop it.  Synthetic levothyroxine made me very ill and made me feel worse: weak, tired, anxious, etc.  I take desiccated pig thyroid, Nature-throid.  It makes me feel better since it contains T3, T4 and bunch of other T's.  I've had hypothyroidism for decades.  I believe diet is important, but in many cases it's just not enough.  A TSH above 2 can produce many hypothryoid symptoms.  Read Mary Shomon's website and books.  She understands this disease really well.  I keep my TSH around or below a 2.  If my TSH is around a 4, I feel terrible.  I used to get tested all the time and for years my TSH was at a 4 and the docs told me it was normal.  Then one smart doc gave me replacement thyroid when my TSH was over a 2 and it really helped me. 

Thank you so much. What you have said goes along with all the research that I have read. I am just desperately trying to find a doc who will prescribe the desiccated thyroid. I guess my worry is that if benzos screw up the thyroid, do I just wait and ride it out? It's been 17 months almost since I jumped. I do feel terrible, Becksblue, and I'm trying to play my own detective and find out if it's benzos or thyroid at this point. Or maybe both. I'm so scared to take anything now and have bad side effects. I'm a single mom and I need to get back to work soon but I am still sick. I will stop the Levothyroxine cold turkey because I feel so much worse. Thank you for your advice and to all who have chimed in here. I'm very scared right now and worry that I'll go back to work sick and am trying hard not to give up hope but I have kids that depend on me to provide for them.

Call your doc's office and ask if they would prescribe Nature-throid or Armour.  Tell your doc that since you got on the Synthroid you have been feeling worse and feel that it's not agreeing with you or that you might be "allergic," to it or whatever.  Nature-throid made me feel so much better when I switched to that from the Synthroid.  The benzo's did not make my thyroid worse.  In fact my TSH was better after I got off the pills.  I'm still on the same dosage of Nature-throid I've been on for decades.  I had a problem with Armour before.  The people who made Armour had QC problems in their manufacturing plant back then.  Maybe it's better now.  I had a script one time that gave me hives.  Nature-throid or Westhroid have better QC IMO.  I don't know where you heard that benzo's could make your thyroid functioning worse.  If your TSH is above 2, you could have hypothyroid symptoms and also some of it could be benzo w/d.  I also see in your sig. that you mention a rare disease?  Could that be making you feel bad?  It could be that too.  In the meantime, you could go the health food store and take some product that helps the thyroid.  Thyro-stim helped me when I wasn't on thyroid meds.  If you get the Nature-throid most of the pills are scored and you can use an exacto knife to split them or cut them down to a dose which makes you feel better.  You can adjust thyroid meds to the dosage that makes you feel better.  My script says to take half of my pill, but it's too much and it will give me bad anxiety, so I split it down a bit more and then I feel ok.  Maybe you're taking too much or too little of the Synthroid? 

Call your doc's office and ask if they would prescribe Nature-throid or Armour.  Tell your doc that since you got on the Synthroid you have been feeling worse and feel that it's not agreeing with you or that you might be "allergic," to it or whatever.  Nature-throid made me feel so much better when I switched to that from the Synthroid.  The benzo's did not make my thyroid worse.  In fact my TSH was better after I got off the pills.  I'm still on the same dosage of Nature-throid I've been on for decades.  I had a problem with Armour before.  The people who made Armour had QC problems in their manufacturing plant back then.  Maybe it's better now.  I had a script one time that gave me hives.  Nature-throid or Westhroid have better QC IMO.  I don't know where you heard that benzo's could make your thyroid functioning worse.  If your TSH is above 2, you could have hypothyroid symptoms and also some of it could be benzo w/d.  I also see in your sig. that you mention a rare disease?  Could that be making you feel bad?  It could be that too.  In the meantime, you could go the health food store and take some product that helps the thyroid.  Thyro-stim helped me when I wasn't on thyroid meds.  If you get the Nature-throid most of the pills are scored and you can use an exacto knife to split them or cut them down to a dose which makes you feel better.  You can adjust thyroid meds to the dosage that makes you feel better.  My script says to take half of my pill, but it's too much and it will give me bad anxiety, so I split it down a bit more and then I feel ok.  Maybe you're taking too much or too little of the Synthroid? 

Thank you so much for the support and all the great information. I actually read about how benzos damage/change the thyroid/pituitary/adrenal axis here on this forum. There's a really lengthy explanation under the repository section. I've read it other places here and on the internet as well. My disease is gone now thanks to a life-saving surgery. Now I'm just left feeling ill and crazy but not as bad as it was. So, was it the benzos making a thyroid problem worse or was it lurking all along? I don't think I'll ever know but I need to do all I can to address the low thyroid I have now and thanks to you and others, I feel like I at least have a good start  :smitten:

As I mentioned in my previous post, the benzo's did not affect my thyroid functioning at all and it's possible it has nothing to do with your hypothyroidism either.  You can't really believe what you read on this forum if it's just a post from another bb member since they aren't credentialed scientists or doctors. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen straight out how ONLY while I was on benzos was my TSH much higher than normal. So there has to be a connection.

Buddies, please tell me where on this forum is there info about the thyroid benzo connection. I don't know where to look; I think someone mentioned there's such a thing here.

A functional doc I spoke to on the phone for a few minutes (to see if I want to become a patient) listened to my thyroid numbers (this is after I was diagnosed with Hashi's by a conventional endo based on thyroid antibodies in my blood work and a sonogram) and she said that only my antibodies are abnormal - everything else is normal - she can't understand why. Says it doesn't look like classic Hashi's. She says it might be I have both Graves' disease and Hashimoto's (which I didn't know was a possibility). I'd have to pay $600 to see her, times as many sessions as it takes for me to be treated, so I'm not rushing - but I'd like to know if thyroid antibodies and nodules can exist as a result of benzo withdrawal. Can they do  things to my body that make it look like I have Hashimoto's but really isn't?

Going to a functional med doctor seems like a crazy gamble of cash, especially because the reports I hear about them are equally positive and horrific. But I don't buy anything a conventional doc says anymore re treatment. I'm tired of being treated like a number. Of not having custom-made treatment. I don't believe a medical system I've been murdered by and lied to by so many times - unintentionally, but still. No trust left.