My brain stopping me to sleep

[ma...]

Hi all,

getting better and get some truncated sleeps after 6 weeks CT from Lexapro & Lorezepam but last night when try to to sleep somehow my brain stop me from it, first that's twitches either from leg or arm then as close to fall into sleep the back of of the brain will tensed up and alert you back into pre sleep, so stayed awake the whole night.

But surprisingly unlike previous under sleep phase it's not as fatigue as before and it feel quite fresh like you have some sleep, any advice why like that? Thanks in advance.

Many members report being woken up with myoclonic twitches or jerks, this is very common and most likely the result of the absence of the Lorazepam, benzo's are wonderful muscle relaxers and when we remove them, the muscles complain.

I've not heard anyone say they felt rested after experiencing them though, so you're lucky, for today anyway.  :)

That is pretty "normal" at 6 weeks off, which, by the way, is very early in the healing and recovery process.

Lots of people, myself included, had a lot of zero nights (or nights of no perceived sleep).  It's all part of the recovery/WD journey.

Don't let it freak you out.  Lack of sleep won't kill and most likely won't even make you sick.  I had at least 10 or 12 times where I had zero sleep for 3 and sometimes 4 nights in a row and never got sick even though the flu/colds went through the rest of my house/family.

I remember trying to fall asleep and maybe nodding off for a bit only to be jerked awake by a jolt/brain zap.  Those eventually fade but are scary at the time.

What Benzos do is down regulate your GABA receptors (your body's brake pedal) or what makes you calm and relaxed and rev up Glutamate receptors (your body's gas pedal) so you might feel "wired" even though you didn't sleep?  Normally GABA and Glutamate are in a balancing act so one doesn't overtake the other, but the Ativan temporarily knocked out the function of your GABA receptors. 

Sleep was my worst symptom out of the 15 or so I had.

This will even out over time.  Time is the healer.

Thanks for the kind & reassuring words, actually insomnia is the worst now if able to sleep every time will have dreams, now if I know I'm dreaming meaning I'm sleeping. Body jerking, clenched jaw and every early morning not sure cortisol or anxiety attack? also there.

You try to put in some some sleep in daytime? Or should wait till night try in one go? Thanks.

You've probably got a combination of both in the morning, many members say morning anxiety is off the charts during this process.  Here is a post some find helpful. Understanding Morning Anxiety

If you can sleep during the day I say go for it, I've never been able to and envy those who can. 

Thanks for the kind & reassuring words, actually insomnia is the worst now if able to sleep every time will have dreams, now if I know I'm dreaming meaning I'm sleeping. Body jerking, clenched jaw and every early morning not sure cortisol or anxiety attack? also there.

You try to put in some some sleep in daytime? Or should wait till night try in one go? Thanks.

I had clenched jaw too.  All of your symptoms, while annoying, really can't hurt you.  REM Rebound is pretty common when sleep starts to return.  In fact, I had lots of dreams for about 3 years after I jumped CT.  In the last year I just started going back to more "regular" sleep without all the dreams.

My advice would be to sleep when you can now.  If you can sleep during the day, then do it.  You can get back on a nighttime sleep schedule after your sleep begins to even out. 

For people with "regular" (non Benzo induced insomnia) it's good to not nap and stick to a schedule of going to bed and getting up at the same time, but you can throw those "rules" out the door when you are suffering from Benzo induced insomnia.