Antidepressants

[cl...]

For those who have gone through withdrawal or are going through it would you recommend getting on a antidepressant?  I have gotten down to 0.375 mg of Ativan and have held steady here at about two months.  One of my worst symptoms is total catatonic depression. Total hopelessness and all I can express is rage. 

Is throwing an antidepressant in the mix going to make it worse?  I am struggling with the decision.  Any insights or pros and cons would be appreciated.

Many members were already on an A/D when they began their journey and were grateful for it when going through this.  I've seen mixed results of starting an A/D while in the midst of withdrawal with most saying it either doesn't do them any good or they react negatively to it and have to stop.  Of course some say it helps but our central nervous system is so sensitized during this process we may not react like we would under normal circumstances. 

I know the darkness this process heaps on us but this isn't you, this is the bi-product of the drug withdrawal.  What A/D were you thinking about, have you discussed this with your Dr?  There are many threads about the different A/D's, perhaps you can do a search to see which ones might be the least troublesome.

It’s a very hard question to answer. I was on and off different antidepressants this last 2.5 years and taking Ativan as well. Never getting better just worse and worse. I am 3 weeks off Ativan and about 4 on Zoloft. I am functional right now. Can take care of kids, drive around, brain is less foggy, able to cook, clean, shop, take kids to programs and socialize a bit. However definitely have numbness, tingling, vibrations, aches and pains. I had an akathesia episode and it was terrible and that feeling has not returned. My scary dark thoughts have left for now. I had them the whole time on Ativan. Bad dreams are gone. So I don’t know, everyone is different but for me the Zoloft is most likely getting me through the day right now.

Problem with ADs at this stage is that you would likely hlget anxiety side effects for 2-3 weeks without the benefit ofbenzos to help you through it. So I agree with boss Pamster that you best stick to the benzo taper for now and consider ADs later.

Total futility/hopelessness and benzo rage were top level symptoms at the end of my Taper and then began to dissipate 2 weeks after last dose.  Was on AD and it was nothing in the face of benzo hell.  I recently tapered Ad to half and it triggered a heavy wave of rage.  If you can lock onto the knowledge that it will likely soon be alleviated then I would hold on and finish the ride.  I did use marijuana during the worst of my severe depression and rage and it allowed me some freedom from the constant crushing emotional weight, but did cause extremely high speed racing thoughts.  I consider it a net positive endeavor for myself, but I would probably have tried trazodone if that hadn’t been effective.

Many members were already on an A/D when they began their journey and were grateful for it when going through this.  I've seen mixed results of starting an A/D while in the midst of withdrawal with most saying it either doesn't do them any good or they react negatively to it and have to stop.  Of course some say it helps but our central nervous system is so sensitized during this process we may not react like we would under normal circumstances. 

I know the darkness this process heaps on us but this isn't you, this is the bi-product of the drug withdrawal.  What A/D were you thinking about, have you discussed this with your Dr?  There are many threads about the different A/D's, perhaps you can do a search to see which ones might be the least troublesome.

The doc prescribed me citalopram.  I mean it's a clinic that's a mill so the guy didn't really listen to what I was saying he just threw it at me.  I had to leave my shrink in February as she was being unethical with me in my opinion.

You don't sound very confident about taking the Citalopram, just this fact alone could make this an unpleasant experience for you.  When we doubt the effectiveness of the drug we're about to consume we worry, when we worry we get anxious and then our sensitive CNS reacts with symptoms.

You can do a search in the other medications section of the forum to see what other members have to say about it. 

Hey cly

Sounds like you don't have a lot of faith in the medical professionals

Unfortunately we need them and sometimes they are right even if we doubt their advice

You don't sound very confident about taking the Citalopram, just this fact alone could make this an unpleasant experience for you.  When we doubt the effectiveness of the drug we're about to consume we worry, when we worry we get anxious and then our sensitive CNS reacts with symptoms.

You can do a search in the other medications section of the forum to see what other members have to say about it.

Okay thank you, I will do a search.  Sorry I just realized I posted this in the wrong section.