Taper from Valium

[Th...]

I have an issue. I've been taking Valium for around 5-6 years. I know I started at a lower dose but for at least the past 3 years I've been on 5/mg 2x a day. Previously I was on Klonopin and am very familiar with how long it takes to taper off of it. I did it on my own cutting it down to slivers.

My issue right now is my psychiatrist, who is new to me, refuses to prescribe Valium, so I'm using my PCP. My PCP wants me to take half a dose (2.5 mg) one night a week for a couple of weeks, then half a dose 2 nights a week, etc. I tried to tell him I want to taper it down to 9mg for a couple weeks or more, then 8mg, etc. But he wants to do it his way.

I'm thinking of just taking 3/4 of a dose every night for a while. I've tried cutting the 1/4 of a tablet down smaller and it just doesn't work very well. What do y'all think?

Many of our members will use their Dr's for prescribing purposes only, how would you feel about agreeing to your PCP's recommendation but proceed as your experience suggests and taper the way you did Klonopin?  Would the supply he prescribes be enough to see you through?

Yes he will keep prescribing until I have completely gotten off the medication. I feel comfortable with tapering myself off at my pace. I know my body better than anyone.

This is the response I was hoping for, both in terms of your Dr cooperating with your goal and you knowing your body well enough to trust your own judgement, good for you!  :thumbsup: