Direct Valium Taper

[Li...]

I have been a WEEKLY user of Diazepam for 6 months not daily.

I did not want to be on them at all, unfortunately my anxiety disorder has been that bad and my attendances at the emergency room were becoming weekly because of severe anxiety.

I haven’t been taking the same doses every week.  Anyway, I have been following and reading the Ashton Manual and have been reducing my weekly dose.

I have got down to 7mg a WEEK which is equivalent to 1 per day.

I have just had an appointment with my psychiatrist who wants me to taper extremely slow due to my anxiety disorder.

He wants me to reduce down each WEEK to 6mg then 5mg then 4mg etc etc until im on nothing a week.

As I can see the Ashton Manual states when on 1mg a day aka 7mg a week to just STOP. I am already on 7mg a week now. Am I prolonging things taking it WEEKLY for another 6 or so weeks?

Wanted to get peoples opinions on this.

Thanks. 

Not necessarily. Sometimes I will take it a couple of days a week.

For example when I was taking 10.5mg a week I would take 5mg one day 5mg another day and then 0.5mg another day.

This is where I am stuck as to how much to taper down each week by.

I never take it daily though.

I've never suggested this before since we typically see daily users but perhaps you could begin to taper your weekly doses, are you dosing twice a week on the 7 grams?

Yes so for the last few weeks I have done the following:

Week 1 -  17 mg over 4 days

Week 2 - 14mg over 3 days

Week 3 - 10.5mg over 3 days

Week 4 - 7mg over 2 days

But I am unsure if I am tapering too fast.

I have averaged my intake over the last 6 months of weekly use and it is averaging out at 2.85mg a day if I would have taken it daily rather than weekly.

I feel quite anxious but I generally am anxious anyway hence the reason for being prescribed these in the first place and bad headaches and just feeling really down.

I have read people reduce by 10% every 2 weeks but not sure if that’s daily use.

Im just frightened because I have read about seizures etc so want to try and withdraw as best I can.

The psychiatrist wants to withdraw a mg per week which is about 0.14 per week.

Seizures are a possibility but from what I've read, they're rare and I would think that taking the Valium as you have would mean it wouldn't be an issue.  Of course, a huge component of benzo withdrawal is fear, so no matter what I tell you, that thought will be on your mind. 

We suggest 5-10% every week or two to minimize symptoms but typically caveat that cautioning that this should be driven by your symptoms, this is the true measure of success.

Anxiety is a common symptom but I'm glad you recognize that you're an anxious person anyway so maybe you shouldn't use that as a reason to slow your taper down but the headaches sound problematic.  Typically someone who tapers and holds daily will feel symptoms come on, then they'll stabilize and even lessen in a few days depending on the drug they're taking.  Are you noticing any patterns like this?  It's probably tough to tell because Valium has such a long half life but I'm trying to figure out if your unique taper is following a pattern.

I really do not know.

All I know is I have had bad anxiety and severe headaches which I am prone to anyway due to stress.

I have taken them every week but so sporadically over the last 6 months.

Ive just sat down and worked out how much I have taken monthly, luckily I wrote down everytime I took it.

Like I said if I had taken it daily for the full 6 months it would worked out about 2.58mg a day

Im not sure if I have done the below too fast

Week 1 -  17 mg over 4 days

Week 2 - 14mg over 3 days

Week 3 - 10.5mg over 3 days

Week 4 - 7mg over 2 days

Im just not sure what to do from here.

Professor Ashton advised its better to slow things down rather than go back up in dose, so what about holding your dose at 7 mgs for next week?  That way you could see if your headaches and anxiety diminish or you could hold it for two weeks, what do you think?

Thank you for helping me. I am so scared.

Yes I could do that hold at 7 for 2 weeks.  I didnt know whether to go back upto 9mg or 10mg per week because I feel so awful and don’t know if ive come down too fast but didn’t know whether up-dosing would be the right thing to do.

I know it's scary and being scared is contributing to your anxiety, headaches and stress, it's a vicious circle.  A taper is a very individual process, no two people can expect to taper the same way with the same results, there are too many contributing factors.  If you can find a way to accept and be comfortable with your taper, you might be able to relieve some of your fear and stress. 

If you have a Dr who is willing to allow you the time to accomplish this then it sounds like it would be wise to slow this down so you can be reassured you're doing this right.  Slow and steady is what we like to see but it's up to you to figure out what this means for you.

I wonder if at some point you might think about taking it more than two or three times a week, it might be helpful to experiment a little, see if it produces positive changes. 

Thanks Pamster.

What you mean taking 7mg over the course or the week but more days and trying to stabilise a bit? I always thought it was better to take it weekly instead of daily but I am suffering anyway.

I think my doctor will let me. My psychiatrist said because of my anxiety anyway he wants to reduce 1mg a week which is 0.142 because my anxiety is so bad.

It’s horrible feeling like this.  Wish I would have just dealt with my initial anxiety now.

The trouble with benzo's is when we become tolerant to and dependent on them, they begin to produce anxiety unless we increase our dose and it's like regular anxiety on steroids, this is what could be happening to you.  You may find when you recover from this you'll be much better at handling normal anxiety, that's the way it worked for me.

Because you've been taking a fairly consistent dose each week and because it seems as if your body has become dependent on the drug, I don't see any difference between taking it daily, or taking it weekly, your body doesn't either.  If you were taking any other benzo that didn't have the long half life Valium does, you'd be suffering terrible interdose withdrawal, there is still a possibility you may be dealing with this as well.  This is why I suggested perhaps taking the 7 mgs more than just a couple of times a week, it might help you stabilize.

When you say taking the 7mgs more than a couple of times a week, do you mean spreading it out like taking 1mg a day as opposed to 3 of 2mgs?

I want to do this right as right as possible. I have a young daughter to take care of.

Hi Pamster

I have had to seek advice today I am a right mess.

I must have reduced too quickly over the last month and its caused dramatic withdrawal symptoms.

I have been told because I have been taking the doses so sporadically that there isnt a consistent level in my system and have been told to reinstate 2mg everyday for the next 2 weeks to get me stable before they will consider a taper.

I am very sad, I have been awake all night, bad headache, terror like you wouldnt believe.

I appreciate your help.

I'm very sorry to hear how you're feeling but please don't be discouraged because now we know for sure what's going on with you.  Your body is dependent and you're suffering withdrawal symptoms, we can now make a plan that will hopefully help you.

I agree with the advice you've been given, I'm not sure what dose is going to work for you but stabilizing is a good idea, then we'll come up with a slow, steady taper plan so you can live your life and take care of your daughter. 

Thanks Pamster

I cannot stop crying I am a right mess. Because my average was 2.85mg or round about they have told me to take 2mg a day then I am not updosing but take it everyday instead of jumping around all over the place.

I have to do that for 2 weeks. I need to stabilise because I am in a right mess here.

Just to let you know how crazy this process is, I couldn't cry when I was where you are, I was dead inside, an emotional vacuum and you can't stop crying, we all react differently but the same. 

Since you're going to wait a little while before you start your taper and if you'd like input from other members, it might be a good idea to start a thread on the  Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board, it gets more attention than the taper boards.  Just letting you know in case you'd like support from more than just me.  ;)