Developed tolerence to Xanax after two months please help

[el...]

Hello, I think I have developed tolerence to Xanax

.5mg which have been on for two months: it does not work anymore for sleep, which it was prescribed  For and  I have been developing severe anxiety , agitation, tremors , difficulty functioning in the evenings with hyperventilation.  I have not been able to wean off it very easily. I have been taken by surprise by this whole nightmare since being prescribed this drug.  I fear for my sanity and health. Could someone please tell me what to do about this .  Is it too late to recover?  I feel like I am in withdrawal with feet also burning.  Is it hopeless ?  Has This gone too far without action with tapering?  Please any recommendations would be appreciated , I have been ignorant about issues with this prescribed drug and suffering. I will continue to try to taper.  Please help with recommendations, suffering for months.  E

I'm sorry you are suffering. Have you read the Ashton manual yet? That would be helpful. Your symptoms sound like either tolerance or withdrawal. You don't say how much you are tapering? Have you only been on the drug for two months? Either way, you should still taper slowly because the research seems to show that it can be tough to get of it whether it's two months or like in my case 14 years. The rule of thumb is to taper 5 to 10 percent of your total dose every 7 to 10 days or as your symptoms allow. In my case I was tapering once a month but am now holding because of symptoms. I hope you start to feel better. ☺

I have hardly tapered, trying to taper slowly up to 1/4 of a .25mg , I take two.  It stressed me out.  I only take it at night , wonder if that is why so miserable.  Hard trusting my doctors. I guess I should check with them about what to do.  Is continued tapering an option  and try and speed it up , I have been at 1/8 of one tab cut off so far over weeks!  Psychologically very hard . >:(

Thank you E

Hi same thing happened to me.  I didn't even know what cold turkey or tapering was until I realized what was happening thanks to this site.  I think your having withdraw symptoms idk alot about taper but alot of people here do.

Hello, the past few days my dose of two months for sleeping stopped working and at bedtime I was in withdrawal.  How do I deal with this!  My doctor I am sure will say it is anxiety not tolerence.  I am so scared fir what my future holds.  I believe she right from the start prescribed this powerful addicting medicine to hurt me💫.  Any advice how to proceed?  I take two .25 mg Xanax at bedtime.  Had been trying to taper....very slow going.  Thanks Elise

I am going to try again.  I think I am not good at describing my agony and situation.  I have been taking .5 mg Xanax  to sleep and slowly tapering it.  I was also taking just a tiny bit sometimes early am  or afternoon or when I needed it.  It probably added up to a half a half a .25?mg xanax Plus it minus per day.  I know sounds low but I am sensitive.  Anyway stopped that a week ago at once.  Still trying to slowly taper evening dose of two  .25mg.  It has been nine weeks on this drug and have been feeling worse.  Panic attacks, tight neck, chest, episodes constantly of hyperventilation, burning legs , anxiety, I feel my life is ruined.  Last night worse... when dose was due was getting terrible withdrawals

And 4 am again.  4 am feet burning....really restless.  No sleeping effects anymore.  I feel I need to take a little Xanax to feel better but really don’t want to... suffering arm pains, headache also.  How do you handle tolerence?  My doctor who prescribed this is cavalier and I feel not straight.  She keeps saying everything is anxiety and has my internist and husband believing this.. want to taper off.  How do you handle tolerence.  I don’t think I can continue with this suffering.  In this day and age she gave me terrible health care and must know what this drug would do to me.  There was no guidance or warning.... my life is ruined.  Any suggestions for tolerence?  I don’t think any of the doctors will help me.  Thank you

Elise

Xanax is a very powerful drug, there is no low dose and we understand perfectly how awful this is for you, we've all been or are where you are, we get this!  I know you're scared but the most important thing you can do for yourself right now is to educate yourself about what's happening to you, this will help dispel the fear that's gripping you.

Read chapter 3 of  The Ashton Manual, it will list your symptoms and why you feel them, you'll see this is 'normal'.  Read What is happening in your brain, this will help you see that all of this is simply science, it's the result of taking this drug and when your brain is free from the drug and recovered from the effects, you'll get you back.

Your Dr just doesn't understand the power of these drugs, not many Dr's do but you can help educate her so she can be your partner in this process.

Can you update your signature with what your taper consists of so we can see if you're making good decisions for yourself, or just list your taper here?

Elise,  I'm so sorry that this happened to you.  This is the same thing that happened to me.  I was prescribed for two months and CT. 

Thank you for the responses

4/29/2020 two .235 mg Xanax for sleep

4/29 /2020. Around this month started small 1/4 peices or smaller bits as needed at 5am, noon and middle of night occasionally as needed, not regularly.  Not more total than .165mg per day

Over April,May , June tapered 1/3 of one tab at night Gradually

6/18/2920 so with this slow taper at about one and 2/3 tabs  .235 mg Xanax

6/25:2020. Stopped little peices

Thinking of tapering 1/4 tab per week as tolerated

Thanks Elise

Seems like you are now in Acute WD.  Are you thinking of going back on?  Reinstating?  I'm wondering this from your last question.

Thank you for the responses

4/29/2020 two .235 mg Xanax for sleep

4/29 /2020. Around this month started small 1/4 peices or smaller bits as needed at 5am, noon and middle of night occasionally as needed, not regularly.  Not more total than .165mg per day

Over April,May , June tapered 1/3 of one tab at night Gradually

6/18/2920 so with this slow taper at about one and 2/3 tabs  .235 mg Xanax

6/25:2020. Stopped little peices

Thinking of tapering 1/4 tab per week as tolerated

Thanks Elise

I have questions too, please let us know what you're thinking.

I am thinking of 1/8 Of a .25 mg tab cut per week, which is what I have been trying to do.  I don’t know what to do with the afternoon panic type one hour episodes and evening anxiety I have. I took a break two nights from trying to taper more.  I guess that reinstating?  My 1/3 taper is hard to keep with the symptoms.

I have read the Aston manual.  This is just too hard for me...wondering if cutting out the little pieces I used to do during the day , cut that out over a week ago caused the withdrawal.  Would reinstating mean add the little pieces in again , and start over? Would the acute withdrawal go away?  I don’t know what to do.  My guidance from doctors is uneven and clearly I am struggling. I do not want to add or take anymore Xanax than was first prescribed. I can’t seem to get this done.... feeling worse and worse.  How do I find a good doctor or clinic?  Not sure I am tough enough to handle the psychological issues, panic attacks or whatever that horrible thing is every afternoon. Thank uou

You may need to switch to a long acting benzo like valium or klonopin so you don’t have to deal with going into withdrawal every few hours. Would your doc switch you? Valium has much less side effects for me then Klonopin did, but we are all different.