Tapering a benzo AND a Z drug?

[Ma...]

Hello, I am new here and trying to work my way through all the information on how to get off these RX's.  I am prescribed 10mg Ambien and 1.5mg Ativan, though I can usually make it through the night taking less of both.  I take both meds at night for sleep and have done so for about 10 years.  So, as I am now contemplating a taper I have NO IDEA whether I plan to taper both at once, or consecutively (ugg)?  The Ashton manual, from what I can see, does not provide schedules for multiple meds.  Any help is appreciated....!! 

We typically advise reducing only one medication at a time and my suggestion for which to taper first would be the Ativan as it can be helpful to have the Ambien on board while you go through this. 

The trouble is, you're on two short acting medications which will leave you short once you start tapering, if they haven't already done so.  Are you currently experiencing interdose withdrawal, do you watch the clock waiting to take your medication to get relief from odd symptoms?

You'll probably have to accept that insomnia is going to be a way of life for awhile, it's a pretty typical state of being around here so while you'll be miserable, you'll have company.

Thank you for your response.  It has just struck me just how little I know about my medications and what is happening to me.  That really makes me nervous.  I have really buried my head in the sand.  I am not sure why I looked into getting off these meds NOW (as opposed to 3, 4, or 5 years ogo), but I am gad I did.  Though I recognize how much help I will need. 

You ask if I have interdose withdrawals?  I really have no idea.  I do not watch the clock for the time I can take meds.... I just take the meds at bedtime, go to sleep, and feel miserable the next day (brain fog, anxiety, irritability, and so much fatigue) until I can go back to sleep.  I assumed these were side effects of the meds, rather than withdrawal symptoms from a short acting benzo??? Perhaps I should be taking my Ativan more spread out even before I start a taper?

Or, any suggestions on whether I should stay status quo until I can convince my ND to start a taper, which includes going from Ativan to Valium?  Could that help someone with insomnia while they go off Ativan?

Thank you again for any guidance you can provide. 

Yep, you're suffering interdose withdrawal, I've taken Ambien too and know the feeling.  I used to wonder why I kept taking that pill that made me feel horrible every waking moment just so I could fall asleep easily.  The only time I felt good was when I was asleep, so what good is it to suffer every waking moment, it's crazy!

Most of our members taper from their original benzo, not that many Dr's are willing to cross their patients over to Valium which comes with it's own problems such as sedation and depression.  My suggestion would be to attempt to taper from the Ativan first and if it proves too difficult then you could talk to your Dr about a cross.

You'll want to start dividing your doses of Ativan, most will take it two or three times a day, so that may be a place to start even before you decide to start your taper.  Save the Ambien for the nighttime.

Hello Magpie,

I too am tapering off of Ativan.  I was so thankful to find BB and glad you did too.

As you can see by my signature I suffered interdose withdrawal and had to split my dose into 3. Once stabilized I have been able to continue my taper.

There is a thread specific to those of us tapering Atvian.  The thread is under Support "Tapering off Attivan Support Thread"

We are a small group but very supportive of each other.

If you can't find it I can maybe post a link.

JuJuBi