Panic attacks in cars plz anyone??

[0f...]

[0f...]

How do I deal with panic attacks in cars?

I freak out. Get claustrophobic. Damn my brain is so damage. I dont have anxiety but cars cause panic. I start to feel it even before I sit inside the car. My brain then starts to get over stimuli and gives me odd sensations. What to do. I am afraid of leaving my home now for vacation what if I cant go home again? My husband gets mad at me bc if this panic anxiety thing. Like I choose this f**k...

Yes, somewhat similar Sundance. I had urge to jump out of cars. Jump in front of cars.  Think every car that was coming toward me was about to run me over.  I guess this is a variant of panic.  Idk?

The fear developed into agoraphobia.  And everyone gets pissed off about it because they don't understand.  I didn't either.  So full of fear.  I don't have this any longer.  Now, when crossing the road I 'remember', and the memory makes me anxious, but urges to 'act' have gone. 

Maybe it's 'confined spaces'?  If fight/flight/freeze is in place panic could arise because 'no escape'.  Just liked a trapped animal.  Primitive response. 

It has gotten better for me Sundance. 

Dee x

[0f...]

Yes, somewhat similar Sundance. I had urge to jump out of cars. Jump in front of cars.  Think every car that was coming toward me was about to run me over.  I guess this is a variant of panic.  Idk?

The fear developed into agoraphobia.  And everyone gets pissed off about it because they don't understand.  I didn't either.  So full of fear.  I don't have this any longer.  Now, when crossing the road I 'remember', and the memory makes me anxious, but urges to 'act' have gone. 

Maybe it's 'confined spaces'?  If fight/flight/freeze is in place panic could arise because 'no escape'.  Just liked a trapped animal.  Primitive response. 

It has gotten better for me Sundance. 

Dee x

Yes that too throw myself infront of cars. Really scary. 

Sundanceshaman,

I had it too. The whole car thing for me was not so bad early on in the first 3-4 weeks (but still difficult). For some reason it seemed to be worse at 2-3 months. I too wanted to "jump out of the car". Especially at stop lights. I screamed at my husband one day to turn left on red because I couldn't take it. No other cars were around. It was early morning on a rural road.

This symptom slowly decreased over a few months for me. By month 5 it was pretty much gone. But, once in awhile, like one day a month all the way into month 9, I'd get the slight car agoraphobic feeling. But, it would be so slight, and only last about 15 minutes that I could deep breathe through it. At month 7 maybe even sooner on somedays, I started to love car rides and drive more myself. Riding in the beautiful country air, wind on my face and nature is actually therapeutic for me now. A country drive is part of my healing tactics. Something that once caused great agony, now feels darn good. It's proof that we heal.

Our senses are raw in withdrawal. Our gaba receptors are down regulated and glutamate is high. We are ultra sensitive to noise, lights, and movement. Think about it. Being in a car our sensitive brains are processing so much information it's overwhelming for our healing brains.

I thought for sure I was "ruined" for life and would never be able to get into a car again. My husband is my "support group" and my "handler". I printed out many articles pointing out the symptoms of withdrawal and we both have read 3 books together on this. My husband has actually read 4. Therefore, I made it easier to be able to say: "I will not be getting into a car for a while" without feeling so ridiculous. And, I didn't get into a car for several weeks.

It is what it is. This symptom is real and there's no hiding it. Cut yourself a lot of slack and rest and heal. It will go away with time. Be good to yourself.

sundance, how can your husband get angry with you when you went to the docs and had a brain scan that showed a tumor and other brain abnormalities which you told me about in a pm and also on another thread and which you mention in your signature?  Can't you tell him that next time he gets angry with you because of your panicking or whatever that it's difficult for you to control what your brain is doing?

[0f...]

sundance, how can your husband get angry with you when you went to the docs and had a brain scan that showed a tumor and other brain abnormalities which you told me about in a pm and also on another thread and which you mention in your signature?  Can't you tell him that next time he gets angry with you because of your panicking or whatever that it's difficult for you to control what your brain is doing?

He say I over react. That it cant br like that. Yes I have a balance  tumor and also abnormal EEG

He gives a s**t about that. This is gonna end in divorce. He is not nice or kind too me. He said my w/d must be over that I am a drama queen. Not even my tumor make him understand. He is tired of me. I am so sick. We just live under the same roof does it feels like. No support or understanding. I am so sad😭😭😭😭😭

I feel very sorry for you for your husband abusing you like he does.  Do you have anyone you can stay with and who will help you until you get your divorce? Anyone who calls someone a drama queen is surely abusive.  I really hope that he doesn't hit.  I'd be afraid living like a man like that.  If I ever dated a guy who said those things to me, I'd break up with him an instant.  Shame on him. 

[0f...]

I feel very sorry for you for your husband abusing you like he does.  Do you have anyone you can stay with and who will help you until you get your divorce? Anyone who calls someone a drama queen is surely abusive.  I really hope that he doesn't hit.  I'd be afraid living like a man like that.  If I ever dated a guy who said those things to me, I'd break up with him an instant.  Shame on him.

No he dont hit me. It is more use words or make me to shut up. Saying stop crying if I am sad. Or stop cry you need to get pushed in the right direction. After my tumor diagnose he became worse to me. Much worse. I am in a wave right now and they ALWAYS brings SI even though I dont wanna die. He just said I am going away and you cany say anything about it. Just face it. I said plz no no not now I am so sick. He said you have nothing to say. I am going. He left yesterday. He called me one time asking about our dog and the weather. Nothing about how is it are you doing ok? For me if someone is going away for a longer time you ask if it is ok. Not ask if you are allowed just make your partner part of your decision. Especilly if someone is teally sick. Just check out the situation.

But no. He act like a bachelor. In all decision. Yes I cam tay at my moms house. I need to face him when he is coming home. When he left yesterday he just said bye and then he was gone. Nothing else. No hugh no kiss. He gives his friend more attention and love than to me.

And yes he  abuses me with mental abuse. Hard words. Words that hurts more than being hit...

This was a problem for me back in January. I had a panic attack while driving home and it was the most horrific thing. Instead of stopping and trying to calm down, I persisted on continuing driving which made things so much worse. After almost 6 months, I still can feel my nerves acting up when I get in the car... but this is something I knew I was going to have to overcome and work on, so I did. I have a car oil diffuser, that could be an idea to try to help calm yourself for when you have to go anywhere. Other than that, your best bet is to just sit in the car and take baby steps every single day.