Can I taper my Ativan doses by just cutting the tablets down with a razor?

[fr...]

Hi I am just using an exacto knife to cut the tablets in 1/2, then in 1/2 again, and then in 1/2 again for tapering. I am now down to 1/8 a tablet 3x a day at 6am, 2pm, and 10 pm so that I am taking essentially 1/8 every 8 hours, for less discomfort. Does this seem like it makes sense?

I was a very short term user (10 days as of today), but already began to feel unable to not be on them at all as the anxiety came zooming back in when I just tried to simply postpone taking them at all. I could see this was a slippery slope for me being a recovering alcoholic: I liked the feeling it was giving a bit TOO much, and could easily see myself justifying the need to stay on them forever just to function while at the same time, a major part of me wants to feel this good on my own again. Thanks!

Understand the rationale, but you're probably not getting very accurate dosing which will cause all kinds of symptoms. You may want to look at different strategies to get to your goal. Even short term use can cause issues. You need to try something other than blind dry cutting- buy a scale, switch to liquid solution, etc.- to get these doses consistent. You'll be glad for it.

Please consult the tapering  boards:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=163.0

Lots of folks there to help.

Can you ask your doctor about this? Because I was on Xanax for 9 days like you and began feeling all kinds of symptoms and my doctor as well as many people on this board and reddit told me that quitting it CT after a short time is better than doing a taper and getting more of that poison in your body. I am not leaning one way or the other but ask your doctor because mine told me that at low doses people can CT. I was advised not to taper and not to do it for too long if I choose to do it.

I would see if you can get a liquid prescription for ativan. Then you can split your dose to avoid interdose withdrawals. I did a daily liquid micro taper and divided my doses up into doses that I took every 6 hours. It made my taper much more controlled and smooth. Cutting pills to that small will not allow for very accurate dosing. Check out the tapering threads to see the best way to do a daily liquid micro taper. It sounds complicated at first, but it's really pretty simple once you actually do it. Good luck and take care,

Fp

Understand the rationale, but you're probably not getting very accurate dosing which will cause all kinds of symptoms. You may want to look at different strategies to get to your goal. Even short term use can cause issues. You need to try something other than blind dry cutting- buy a scale, switch to liquid solution, etc.- to get these doses consistent. You'll be glad for it.

Please consult the tapering  boards:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=163.0

Lots of folks there to help.

I was wondering the same thing (but for my klonopin) So basically, beyond cutting at the scored line the doses aren't very reliable? Thanks to your post I am now convinced to put in the work and get a scale!  :thumbsup:

I have bought and am using a scale. I don't have a lot of faith in the doc because I only met him once, (I didn't have a regular GP) and I don't feel he knows me enough. He had also prescribed me Zoloft to go on at the same time as the Ativan, which I didn't do because I don't want another drug to have to get off of.

I tried to cut the amount I am on too quickly .25 every 8 hours, to .13 every 8 hours, and started feeling AWFUL immediately. so went back to .25 4x a day. Now just feeling nervous and nauseous all day unless I am asleep and I just want this drug out of my body.

Note that this experience had been 1mg or less per day for two weeks is the total time I've been on the Ativan. Prior to this 36 years with no more than an Advil in my body for a headache. I am tempted to cold turkey it or at least somehow speed up the taper.

Hello Freefromfear,

I too was on Ativan for a short period and am tapering. Not as short as yours. Unfortunately some of us can become dependent on these very quickly. I would not suggest C/T even for your short use time. It seems you are already feeling heavy symptoms lowering your dose.

I Understand it is frustrating to take it for a short time and now deal with this.  I think you should try to stabilize where you are and then plan a taper a little slower.  It is very doable and you can get off this.

There is a thread I use that has been extremely helpful. Tapering off Ativan.  Link below. Quite a few of us have been on for a very short time.  Lots of support and good feedback.

JuJuBi

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44903.msg610917#msg610917

Thank you!

I think I miscalculated the amounts I was taking each day, now that I am using the scale.

I realized this morning that I am actually at

.022 four times a day which comes out to 8.8% of a 1gm pill per day (not .22 like I thought)

This seems almost like I could just jump off here?

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished tapering Ativan after becoming dependent in 3 weeks. I took me 2 months but it works.

I used razor and scale to cut down .5 mg pills. Jumped at .05

Good luck