Early stages of benzo free

[NG...]

Is there anyone out there in the early stages that wants to be my buddy. I was prescribed Ativan for the first time 25 years ago for plane anxiety. I only took it as needed once every few years. I had a responsible doctor that would never give me more than 5 at .5g. Fast forward to my 40s. I experienced a horrible trauma and for safety reasons  moved internationally with my husband and 3 school aged kids. I was definitely struggling with anxiety and depression but looking back who wouldn’t. I wish I had been stronger to recognize that and looked for natural methods. I was very vulnerable.  Brand new doctor in new country and she put me on AD and told me to take Ativan as needed. As needed was often. I took it sporadically for 2 years so every couple of nights then took it every night for about 6 months. My dose was always inconsistent.

Looking back I never felt good. Horrible horrible nightmares, Dp/Dr, depression, anxiety, looping thoughts, brain fog, ideation, insomnia, frequent urination, no libido, extreme fatigue, hopelessness etc.

I had no idea that a CT was not advised. Found this group after I CTd. Today is Day 15 and I have mild symptoms. Most prominent is pins and needles in my feet. But the other symptoms are easing up and no more nightmares.

I would love to have a buddy during this time. I know so far I am lucky but having fears that something horrible is yet to come.

Hi there,  I"m in my early stages too.  I just finished my second week of WD.  It has been very difficult but I'm so happy that I found this forum to connect with people who are going through the same thing.  How are you doing?  I'm lucky to have the summer off so I can focus on my healing.  I have a husband and three kids who are being super supportive. 

Hi, I am doing alright. It’s Day 16 and so far I feel better than I was on the stuff. I can’t believe how many times I went to the doctor telling her I was doing worse and she just kept telling me I need meds. Sleep is still broken but no more nightmares and ideation is gone. I feel much more positive and energetic. I have pins and needles in my feet and a lingering sense of doom that I Ct and will not heal properly.

I also have 3 kids and a good husband. I have boy/girl twins that are 12 and a younger son who is 7.

The last few years have been so hard for me with every symptom possible. I’m hoping that the future is brighter now that I know how bad these meds are. I would of continued taking them on and off forever. Now I know better.

How are you doing?  What symptoms are feeling?

I have plans to CT my remaining dose after Christmas.  I've been holding here since April 30th. Still having waves and windows.  I'm encouraged that you seem to be doing well at this point.  It gives me hope.  Thanks for sharing your story.

im on my month 5 and Im not sure if im considered being in the early stages. A lot of symptoms are lessened but Im really left with fatigue, brain fog, a little bit of dr, and a little bit of cog impairment. Not sure when these symptoms will pass.

• 2 weeks later...
I am making 4 months off soon.The depression has lifted a bit and I am now just having slight mood swings and restless from the antidepressant Prozac I take for depression.Mornings are still pretty awful but it gets better.

I'm in the Very early stages of tapering.  I haven't even started yet.  I've been on clonopin for about 10 years now and only recently realized how horrible it is.  In the past I used to take it only when I was anxious and now I understand why my anxiety kept getting worse.  Unless you take these benzos consistently you end up having withdraw symptoms all the time and it messes up your brain and nervous system.  That's not something my psychiatrist told me and I never figured it out until last year.  I've tried to get off of it fast and when I was in the hospital last year the head psychiatrist tried to get me off of it in a matter of days and I swear I almost died.  I plan on tapering off starting this month and will probably give myself at least 10 months to get off of it.  I'd like to be your buddy NG and we can compare notes.  Good luck!

• 2 months later...