Tired of being afraid of "chemicals"

[am...]

One of my greatest fears in withdrawal is the possibility of setting myself back by ingesting any type of "chemicals". I am afraid of using or even smelling detergents, lotions, dish soaps, hand sanitizers, parfumes etc. As my rational thinking is slowly coming back to me i start to realize that none of those things should harm me in any way, but since I'm still not completely rational  :idiot: I need reassurance...

I had to avoid chemicals of any kind in the first 2 years after I had finished the last taper. Even hair color and nail polish, soap, perfumes...

and then .. I noticed how my skin became better, my hair became stronger and grew a lot more ... and my body smelled better. I did not need any deodorant any more after some time. So - nothing bad about avoiding the numerous ingredients no animal needs in or on the body.

now I am 4 years off and I can tolerate a lot more and I enjoy to use some shower gels with a perfume in it, and I enjoy wearing make up again.

But, - for I have learned so much about the chemicals in any kind of product, I still am shocked reading the list of ingredients on a product in the supermarket and now its not my hypersensitivity any more which makes me search for the right product, its just that I dont want to spend money for sh... in/on my body.

When it comes to the household, perfumes are not necessary and plastics are not necessary. I would say, inform yourself about what is needed to keep things clean or to care for things .. - and then make a decision where you want to start with healthy chemicals again and open up the world to perfumes and so on again. Not every chemical is bad.

Thank you for your response. How did the chemicals affect you during the first 2 years after your taper? What symptoms did they make worse?

Oh my gosh. I'm in the same boat.  I usually get my hair highlighted.  Since I'm early in withdraw, I just went and got my haircut today without highlights.  I do notice that I'm really sensitive to perfumes now.  I have even stopped wearing makeup.  I'm so afraid of setting myself back. 

So.. can any of you describe how the chemicals affected you, how long after ingestion did you start feeling it and how long it lasted?

It's not at all irrational to be wary of chemicals. Sure, we have regulatory authorities but we also have a massively corrupt system that largely puts big business profits above human wellbeing. I am not only talking about Big Pharma.

Usually if you think you need chemicals for a job, there is a natural way that is better, but often more expensive and less convenient.

Less chemicals is always better:)

But I think I'm focusing more on the "fear" that you are writing about. its one thing to make a sensible decision about say chemicals, but being in fear of them is another. the "fear" is normal in benzo recovery.

i am a person who hates how much chemicals is in our everyday lives and believes in a more organic style of living. BUT...in this darn benzo WD it has become more of a "fear" - which I hate. I sometimes feel a bit "loopy" about chemicals, and our food content, and the relentless overuse of plastics in our society.

I KNOW it is an exaggerated response..and it has gotten better. some days it "flares up". I have little practices I do so I don't get ocd about a concern and try to live practical.

I remind myself to live my best life possible, and I am only in control of my life, and maybe gently educate others when I can.

Breathe....no fear.....

I don't fear chemicals because of their effect on my general health but because of the chance of them causing a setback in my withdrawal. The point of this thread was to find out whether it is reasonable to fear them and whether it is actually possible to get a setback from being exposed to them them.

I have had sensitivities winter e before Benzos. Now they are very bad.

Just stay away from stuff until you feel you are well.

It is not a difficult thing to do and better to be careful.

Can I ask, what do you consider a "chemical"? I am one of those "everything is a chemical!" people, but I know when people say "chemicals" they mean certain kinds. I just never know what. Or understand why there is a hatred of them.

For me it is things like household cleaners, perfumes, deodorants, some essential oils  etc that cause problems.

Anything with volatile chemicals in.

I switched from regular hair dye to henna during my taper, and it is so much better.  Just the smell during dying my hair was bothering me so much and each time it would bother me more.  Certain cleansers make me feel very very ill.  I've also felt ill from lavender- I once went to a massage and they used lavender and it made me so so sick, I ended up leaving with a stomach ache and a migraine.  It makes me nervous too, but it is a nervousness that is founded on evidence.  If I am exposed to those chemicals, I will feel very ill. 

Its weird as we are all the same but different in this process. I am in contact with chemicals and I have had no problems in regards to setbacks from them. I can use perfume and deodorant, and have had to use regular commercial cleaner at times.

I do feel awful if I have preservatives is food though - which is technically a chemical.

But not that I would call it a setback, just maybe refer to it as exacerbating symptoms:)

High sensitivity to smells is one indicator for poor DAO enzyme activity. DAO helps rid the body of acetylaldehyde, a nasty by-product of breaking down chemicals and an aromatic compound. DAO enzymes are unfortunately slowed down by Valium. This slow enzyme activity can be inherited and/or induced by chemical exposure.

A possible helper is the trace mineral Molybdenum. It is also used for candidiasis to help the gut and deal with the yeast's toxic metabolites. The dose is 300micrograms to 400mcg daily for about 3-4 months. Then you should rotate off it for at least one month.

I'm chemical sensitive and use it. It helps prevent skin rashes, mouth ulcers, etc. if exposed to chemicals like at the dentist. I've used it for WD too. Hope that is helpful.