Bye-Bye Benzo, Hello Happy Liver

[Ke...]

I wasn’t sure where to post this but I certainly see it as a celebration.  You may not believe in Natorapaths, but my point is just how much our livers are impacted by these drugs.  I recently read a book entirely about the liver and was intrigued to learn just how big of a role it plays in our overall well-being (emotional as well), yet is rarely a focus of western medicine.  It is our body’s main filter and nutritional storehouse, the liver is essential for dealing with many health problems.  One of its many functions is to disarm and detain harmful materials...so, over one year ago, I started seeing a Naturopath and does a full-body scan.  Without fail, what shows up on the scan is congruent with presenting problems. For example, I have hypothyroidism and it came up showing challenges with my adrenals, etc.  Coming full circle, my liver was constantly showing up in the red zone.  I see her every six weeks, but skipped once due to acute w/d.  Today, after a year-long taper and being off for 10 days, my liver showed up in the green zone, meaning, no concerns. She has been doing this for 25 years and has seen many people through a Med taper. She knows what impacts GABA and Glutamate, so the only things I’m currently taking are probiotics, which have relieved my Benzo Belly immensely.  I realize everyone has different experiences and opinions, but I truly believe my liver was working overtime in response to the chemical makeup of Benzos. 

I’m a big nerd, who loves to learn, so yes; I have no problems admitting I read books about the liver. 

I hope everyone is well and I wish you all healing and peace.

Thank you for your story.....Could you tell us what probiotic you are using?  Thanks and happy healing....

Alan

Hello Alan, thanks for the nice message.  I take the following:

Natures Sunshine is the brand:

Bacillus Coagulans

Proactazyme

She “muscle tests” me so I know how much to take.

It’s still bizarre to me but, muscle testing seems to work!

Wishing you much peace and wellness.

Keep Moving Forward

Interesting as I recently found out I have high liver enzymes, called fatty liver. I had gotten up to 239 lbs. I am 6'2' and when younger I was a big guy weighing from 215 to 220. When I was having insomnia I was given clonanzepam and an anti depressant. the warning clearly warned of liver damage from the anti depressant.

I realized back in Jan. I looked like hell so I started losing weight, now down to 215. I sleep better and I hope my next liver dr. shows improvement in my liver.

I eat sticks and twigs, walk a lot, and have cut our red meat for the most part.

Anyway, thought I would throw my info in for others to absorb. Best of luck to you!!!

J Stone

Hi J Stone,

Thanks for sharing!  Next, will be getting off the antidepressants...I’m currently 45, so hopefully I’ll be off all psychotropic drugs by the time I’m 55!  Lol.

I read various pieces of research stating AD’s can take 15 to 25 years off ones life.  I sincerely hope informed consent becomes necessary for prescribers so at lease people are aware of the potential problems with these meds.  Do I believe many people benefit from these type of meds, absolutely. However, for me, I knew when I was ready to taper off but was continually told “let’s not try to fix what isn’t broken.”  In hindsight, I believe that was negligence on the part of my provider.  Had I known, what I know now, I would have found a doctor who would help me taper and allow me to be in control of what I put in my body.

Hindsight is always 20/20!

Be well!