Food reactions

[am...]

Hi.

I am really sensitive to food and react to literally anything i eat. 20 minutes after eating a meal the DP/DR and high anxiety start to come up and can last for even a couple of hours. I got kind of used to this and never really tried to do anything about it as I have not been eating sugar/foods high in glutamic acid/anything processed/foods high in histamine etc. anyway and cutting out even more foods is just impossible at this point. Also, i am extremely extremely  skinny so that's also why i can't limit the food im eating. So i have a question: Is it bad for my healing to just continue eating like i always did and react to it heavily? I wonder if it causes even more excitotoxicity and damage my brain even more than it already is...

Hi amkn

Sugar is really bad for anybody’s brain, even not in wd.

It ramps me up to panic attack level now.

I’m super skinny too. Had lost sooo much weight. I can eat no sugar, gluten, caffeine, msg, processed food. But I’ve been able to put back 20 pounds by adding coconut oil, avocado, olive oil to my smoothies. I eat a lot of protein- nuts, eggs, peanut butter on a spoon. I have meat or fish with a potato for dinner. I found decent gluten free bagels at Aldi’s and Trader Joe’s. I slather them with real butter. I’ve recently been able to add dairy back into my diet, slowly, so cheese and milk is helping pack on the pounds.

Good for you ligma that you can still eat nuts meat etc.

I'm on the same boat. Can't eat anything contains glutamate on top of everything you listed so nets meat etc have to go.

Amkn,

It depends on how bad the reaction is for you. If you feel like you can still handle then balance the 2 sounds good. For me, each tiny wrong food put me in a life threatening situation and long lasting setbacks so I have no option.

I'm 5'5 and weigh less than 90 pounds now. Lost about 15 pounds during and after tapering.

Sorry Mom

Hopefully the food sensitivities will pass for you soon.

For a long while I was only able to eat mainly vegetables via smoothies as I just could not get solid food down.

I’m grateful for what I’ve been able to add to my diet.

Amkn-

Wish I had an answer. I didn’t realize how far the food sensitivities could go. Sorry

It’s hard to heal when not able to get proper nutrition.

Hi lilgma,

I see you are still on 5mg valium.

I had mild sensitivity before valium ( due to lex taper) but it lessoned when I was on valium. The extreme sensitivity ramped up only after I jumped even my last tiny dose was 0.1mg.

You should be fine as long as you are still taking this evil drug. It supress the sensitivity quite effectively for me.

I doubt my sensitivity will ever go away. Now 11 months it only got more over time

No Mom-

It’s going to go away.

My worst sensitivity was after 50% reduction in Lexapro in one fell swoop. Was also in tolerance wd to lunesta at the time. The sensitivities have only lessened in the last few months, but yes I still have 5 mg to go.

I see you tapered lex for a very long time! I still have that to go once the Valium is gone.

May I ask how that taper was for you? What dose were you on? I was initially on 10 but it was cut to 5 and ativan was added inpatient. Neither lex nor benzos were good for me- paradoxical, but was misdiagnosed and I only took them out of desperation.

11 months is a long time to suffer with the illness and food sensitivities, but I guess in terms of benzo wd, not that long it seems, from what I’ve read. But I have the belief that everyone does eventually heal. It’s all so scary, isn’t it? My symptoms are all over the board. Some days extreme panic, the next calm with fatigue that is overwhelming. Very bizarre. Never know what each day will bring.

Hi I've just posted the below on my thread regarding this

The other problem is that we also suffer from Vagus nerve dysfunction in withdrawal as well  And check out that link next to’ ‘Food sensitivities/Allergies'' as well , read the whole article, especially under Common symptoms of food sensitivities   

I have practically all those symptoms as do many other Buddies all because our Vagus nerve is effed by withdrawal and the DAO enzyme  that breaks down histamines is blocked by Benzo's and the body can't cope with the over spill  of histamines on the rampage in withdrawal  :tickedoff:

Symptoms of Vagus nerve dysfunction

Gastrointestinal dysfunctions

Inflammatory conditions

Fatigue, brain fog, fibromyalgia

Sleep dysfunction

Delayed gastric emptying

GERD

Food sensitivities/ Allergies https://thrivinglifewithliezl.com/do-you-have-a-food-sensitivity/

B12 deficiency (inhibited intrinsic factor)

Depression

Behavioural disorders

Difficulty losing weight

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi.

I am really sensitive to food and react to literally anything i eat. 20 minutes after eating a meal the DP/DR and high anxiety start to come up and can last for even a couple of hours. I got kind of used to this and never really tried to do anything about it as I have not been eating sugar/foods high in glutamic acid/anything processed/foods high in histamine etc. anyway and cutting out even more foods is just impossible at this point. Also, i am extremely extremely  skinny so that's also why i can't limit the food im eating. So i have a question: Is it bad for my healing to just continue eating like i always did and react to it heavily? I wonder if it causes even more excitotoxicity and damage my brain even more than it already is...

Hi  Besides trying to eat a low histamine diet, and cut out ''free glutamate'' as its the one that *may  cause*  some people problems there are two types ''free'' and bound glutamate', but even avoiding 'free glutamate'' may still make no difference to us a the brain makes glutamate all  by itself as a precursor to gaaba so no glutamate no gabba  https://chriskresser.com/beyond-msg-could-hidden-sources-of-glutamate-be-harming-your-health/

I too am eating and taking the kicking now I tried all sorts and no matter what if foods going to revv me up its going to rev me up. I don't believe it causes damage , is just our brains aren't signalling properly so they send the wrong messages to the wrong places until their in a better state of repair. I was also getting a bad''food phobia'' and scared of eating but am now gone back to 'well if it don't rev me today great, if I eat it in a few days time and it does then well there's nothing I can do about it except eat and hopefully it will calm down.

On certain days something will have no effect at all but on another day  :D So its just random, obviously it helps to avoid MSG, hot spices, Caffeine if it effects you badly, but I had to expand what I was eating as I lost 3 stone from food fear, and I wasn't over weight to start or well built for my height  I wason the ''lower for my height'' side of the spectrum, but not way under just the light average weight 

So any weight loss shows up instantly, and looks bloody awful as my body's taken a battering of many sorts due to withdrawal along with a lot of hair loss and  sudden rapid ageing ( It ALL get better one you start healing I read many  success stories regarding it)  so had to fight it off and eat, as  no food is a LOT worse than feel urrgghh!! after eating food, our brains and body need as much and the best nutrition we can take in  :)

Hi lilgma,

Lex taper was very dificult in its own way, but manageable with careful tapering plan. I thought that was the hardest thing before I took valium and tapered it. In my case, benzo wd is at a complete different level both in intensity and disabling manner. I was able to push myself with lex, but benzo knocked you dead literally no way to push through. I would say benzo is 100 times more damaging.

Once you are done with valium, you will find it much easier tapering lex if you decide to. Surviving antidepressants org is a great forum for ssri wd. You may want to check it out.

Going slow is the gold rule for these brain altering meds except for severe paradoxical cases.

Wish you a smooth and less painful rest of tapering!

4mom

I also have severe sensitivities to food. My diet became so restrictive last year that my weight dropped to like 105lb’s. I’m 5”10.

I got to a point where I had to suffer through reactions in order to put weight on. It seems to cycle with me, no real consistency. Sometimes I tolerate some foods sometimes not.

• 1 month later...

some of this is just coming from the process of eating rather than the food itself. One can never tell for sure what impacts.

Once I took kefir and yogurt and I hit the ground hard.

I tried it again another day and didn't feel any impact

Shania

Hi.

I have exactly the samsame symptom when eating. It can rev up my DP/Dr and other symptoms. I literally eat 4 or 5 foods and have lost a load of wight. I usually leave eating until the end of the day. Fasting helps. How long have you been off and what was it?