Author Topic: Just went to a new doctor  (Read 474 times)

[Buddie]

Just went to a new doctor
« on: June 15, 2020, 07:42:14 pm »
Hi so I just started seeing a new doctor. I told him that my psychologist was tapering me off ativan and I wanted to make sure that nothing was medically wrong with me (I experienced a sudden rapid heartbeat and was nervous about it). He seemed stunned that I had been taking it as long as I have (4 years) and said I should get off as quickly as possible. He also seemed to think it was crazy that I was splitting up my dose and taking it three times a day. I tried to explain but he knew noting about benzo tapering and it made me fee like I am doing this wrong. Has anyone else experienced this? He said I was young fit and healthy so stopping the medication should be no problem (this just isnít the case)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Just went to a new doctor
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 08:58:06 pm »
Don't believe him.  I saw a new doctor in Feb. who told me I had to quit immediately.  When I explained my symptoms she said they were not due to benzo wd, but to anxiety.  She wanted me to go on Paxil.  When I refused she walked out the exam room door and did not return.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 09:02:37 pm »
Yep, much more the norm than youíd think. Do you think heís open to discussing that you want to do this safely? When my provider said sheís not going to follow Ashton, I said I would not be returning.  Itís extremely hard to find a doctor who understands these meds.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 09:20:33 pm »
Thanks a lot for these replies! This is very reassuring. Also my doctor also said I should maybe go on Paxil/something similar. I told him I donít want to take anything.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 09:21:04 pm »
My own doctor said my symptoms are anxiety, doctor who is working with benzos, my psychiatrist. My dad who is a surgeon also said that and my therapist too. So like I felt so abandoned and alone until I found Benzonuddies. I feel you and if you can find a doctor who understands you.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 09:44:26 pm »
When i quit ct klonopin i went to my doctor you know what he told me take 2mg klonopin don't worry you will feel better i told him i want to quit he looked at my and told me why?!?! At that moment i understood iam going to do this alone i have lost all faith in these so called doctors

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 10:14:33 pm »
Hello [...]

I went to 2 psychiatrist. One said she could put me on .25 Klonipin and Lexepro and have me off like that (while snapping her fingers) Yeah sure easy for you to say.  The second said I should just stay on it.  I went back to my GP and he is very supportive of my taper at my speed. You should check out the Tapering from Ativan thread.  There are a group of us tapering off Ativan. We would love to have you.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44903.msg610917#msg610917

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 12:18:32 am »
Next time a doctor tells you the symptoms are not W/D but demonstrating how much you need the drug...ask him/her if they would say the same thing to someone W/D from alcohol abuse..

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 12:25:42 am »
Agree with [...]- No one expects the alcohol abusers or street drug people to NOT have WD. In fact, there's a whole industry built around it.

Please understand this is NOT a defense of idiot doctors who know nothing and refuse to look at data. They should be accountable. Unfortunately, most are just ignorant; they are regurgitating what they've been taught by their mentors and heard at CEU meetings. "See this symptom, give this drug."  Anyone who steps outside the mind-meld will be ostracized both professionally and financially. Hospitals like the doctors to prescribe meds as they often get kick-backs from the drug companies. It's a racket that has nothing to do with health.

Several years ago the DSM ( Diagnostic Bible) had very few clear cut mental diagnoses like depression and schizophrenia. They've now expanded it to be triple what it was in the 1970s, and got a drug for every one of them. This includes off-brand use, meaning using a drug for something other than its original purpose. A great example is anti-depressants and ADHD meds on kids. Additives in foods and other exogenous sources of chemicals have created millions with distracted, impulsive behaviors. "Start them young and you have a customer for life." Watch the YT videos from "Medicating Normal."

Pharmaceutical companies "own" the medical schools and give great endowments to keep them viable. Professional journals survive off the Pharma ads so guess what the studies they publish better reflect? It's a disinformation campaign from the start. The student tossed into the machine really doesn't have a shot at free thinking. Pop up with a dissenting thought, you won't graduate.

What's the answer? I haven't got one. All we can do is attempt to work with the person sitting across from us.  Do some get it? Yes, but far too few. When it's them or their family members, they'll wake up.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 01:53:06 am »
Hohot - You stated "Hospitals like the doctors to prescribe meds as they often get kick-backs from the drug companies. "

Do you have a source you can cite for this?  I ask you not to call you on it but because if true I'd like to use it to inform others.