Author Topic: Negative things from past keep popping up  (Read 2852 times)

[Buddie]

Negative things from past keep popping up
« on: June 15, 2020, 07:22:12 pm »
I have been teased and kind of bullied in the past but was able to roll through. Now that I amin severe withdrawl I'm remembering these experiences and now it's effecting me . I feel so depressed and down and the anxiety is unbearable. Why is this stuff effecting me years later? I have so much anger towards these people as well . I might just delete social media so I don't see certain people and remember I guess... Is this part of withdraewl remembering negative things in the past? Does it go away? Thanks
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:10:01 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Negative things from past keep popping up
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:42:37 pm »
This is in chapter 3 of the  The Ashton Manual, Professor Ashton says it's fascinating, I say it's torture but  it's very common, I went through it too but it all went away when I healed.  Try not to make any important decisions for now, things will get better when you recover.

Intrusive memories. A fascinating symptom in patients undergoing benzodiazepine withdrawal is that they often mention the occurrence of what seem to be intrusive memories. Their minds will suddenly conjure up a vivid memory of someone they have not thought about or seen for years. Sometimes the other person's face will appear when looking in the mirror. The memory seems uncalled for and may recur, intruding on other thoughts. The interesting thing about these memories is that they often start to occur at the same time that vivid dreams appear; these may be delayed until one or more weeks after the dosage tapering has started. Since recent sleep research indicates that certain stages of sleep (REMS and SWS) are important for memory functions, it is likely that the dreams and the memories are connected. In both cases the phenomena may herald the beginning of a return in normal memory functions and, although sometimes disturbing, can be welcomed as a sign of a step towards recovery.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:06:24 pm »
Wow it's crazy how the mind works. Thank you so much [...] this is reassuring !!

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:08:48 pm »
Sorry for the typos I was on my phone and typed pretty quick

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 02:39:28 am »
this is so true and has been one of my worst symptoms...its gotten better but flares in a wave. Minute details of things I haven't thought of in years, or exacerbation of something you can swear you made peace with years ago now becomes traumatic all over again. Or past regrets nag in your head.

I am more at peace than in acute - but like [...] says - its torture. Literally started thinking I had delayed ptsd.

This will lessen:) Talk logically and kindly to yourself during these times. I found it to help a bit.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 03:07:38 am »
thank you trina glad to know im not alone! ill try to ride it out .. hopefully wont last too long!

stay safe

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 06:00:45 pm »
this is so true and has been one of my worst symptoms...its gotten better but flares in a wave. Minute details of things I haven't thought of in years, or exacerbation of something you can swear you made peace with years ago now becomes traumatic all over again. Or past regrets nag in your head.

I am more at peace than in acute - but like [...] says - its torture. Literally started thinking I had delayed ptsd.

This will lessen:) Talk logically and kindly to yourself during these times. I found it to help a bit.

Oh my goodness hah I thought I had delayed PTSD for months as well until the symptoms started fading away. Was so happy to check that off my list of imaginary worries eventually!
Hey how long did that symptom last for you?

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 06:30:42 pm »
Oh it still "visits"...just not flooding me 24/7 anymore..so glad. In a wave is when it knocks at the door or when I'm overtired.

Threelittlebirds - thank you! We need to hear this!!

[Buddie]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 02:54:17 pm »
These negative thoughts and feelings pop up during withdrawal and will after. At this point our brain is not able to cope as normal. be paitient, I have the same issues I had during withdrawal but can now handle them. They are not amplifide a thousand times. I am starring at the same issues that crippled me through different eyes and they seem so muvh reduced.

[...]