Does anyone take cold showers for anxiety?

[Te...]

I've been reading about the vagus nerve because my GP mentioned it when I told her that I feel high blood pressure in my stomach. I've read that taking cold showers can be therapeutic and calm a person/the vagus nerve down, enable a person to sleep more soundly. Wim Hof swears by this, and I saw a video of him with a group that all jumped into a frigid ocean.

Has anyone done this? And for how long, if you do?

I sort of tried it today, but I started out with warm water and didn't go all the way to cold. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I still would be scared to start off taking a cold shower, but I'm determined to get there.

It is activating the vagus nerve that calms you down.  I have a great link for different methods but not sure if I am allowed to post a link.

I have tried the cold shower and it did work.  You can also splash cold water on your face. This worked for me as well as a shower.

My therapist also suggested, (with a warning for anyone with heart issues) to use an ice pack on the forehead in an emergency situation when my anxiety has gotten away from me and breathing and other methods did not work. 

I have not used the ice pack yet.  I had an anxiety attack while a passenger in the car with hubby and I did cool my forehead with the AC.  It did work. Calmed things down.

I'm no expert on this but I understand there are a number of ways to reset or stimulate the vagus nerve.  One of these is regularly practicing breathing exercises where your exhalation is longer than your inhalation. 

One example of this is to  take a slow breath through your nose for a count of 4 and  out through your mouth for a count of 8. 

The "cat/cow" yoga stretch is another exercise that is supposed to help. You'll find a lot about the vagus nerve by doing a Google search.

Take care,

Brighterday  :)

It is activating the vagus nerve that calms you down.  I have a great link for different methods but not sure if I am allowed to post a link.

I have tried the cold shower and it did work.  You can also splash cold water on your face. This worked for me as well as a shower.

My therapist also suggested, (with a warning for anyone with heart issues) to use an ice pack on the forehead in an emergency situation when my anxiety has gotten away from me and breathing and other methods did not work. 

I have not used the ice pack yet.  I had an anxiety attack while a passenger in the car with hubby and I did cool my forehead with the AC.  It did work. Calmed things down.

Thank you for the tips, JuJuBi! And, yes, you can post the links. I've been searching Google for anything on the vagus nerve. Before BB, I never even thought of this nerve let alone knew we even had one. But I have since known very much what it feels like to have a dysfunction of the vagus nerve.

I'm no expert on this but I understand there are a number of ways to reset or stimulate the vagus nerve.  One of these is regularly practicing breathing exercises where your exhalation is longer than your inhalation.  One example of this is to  take a slow breath through your nose for a count of 4 and breath out counting to 8 slow through nose count 4, out through your mouth for a count of 8.  The "cat/cow" yoga stretch is another exercise that is supposed to help. You'll find a lot about the vagus nerve by doing a Google search.

Take care,

Brighterday  :)

I was doing breathing exercises, but I'm afraid they made me more anxious. I did go to a hypnotherapist who taught me diaphragmatic breathing. I just haven't kept up with it. The cat/cow pose looks like something easy I can do. Thanks!

[b4...]

I've been taking cold showers for the last 3 years. Before that I was only opening the cold water at the end but since my ordeal  started I jump full cold and at least for 5'. It saved me from extreme insomnia. I take two a day, last one 1 hs before bed and I sleep like baby. In the morning it helps me to be less anxious and changes my mood greatly. I mix the showers with some breath exercises (belly breathing) before or after the shower. My skin and my hair change a lot. It also makes you more resilient to face uncomfortable issues during the day. If you have the mind set to be uncomfortable taking a cold shower first thing in the morning you you'll be ready for any challenge during the day!

Mice

Thank you for that, JuJuBi! I haven't seen that article, and it looks like a very good one!

I've been taking cold showers for the last 3 years. Before that I was only opening the cold water at the end but since my ordeal  started I jump full cold and at least for 5'. It saved me from extreme insomnia. I take two a day, last one 1 hs before bed and I sleep like baby. In the morning it helps me to be less anxious and changes my mood greatly. I mix the showers with some breath exercises (belly breathing) before or after the shower. My skin and my hair change a lot. It also makes you more resilient to face uncomfortable issues during the day. If you have the mind set to be uncomfortable taking a cold shower first thing in the morning you you'll be ready for any challenge during the day!

Mice

Yes, you're the person who got me thinking of this, and thank you! I'm determined to do it because it seems so beneficial for the body. You're an inspiration!

[b4...]

Hi Terry!

Yes cold showers helped me in all fronts. It's not a cure all thing but together with a good diet is one of the pillars that will help in your recovery.

Like every thing, you have to do it gradually and on your own pace. If you have heart issues you should talk to your doctor first. But if you don't, don't be afraid of the cold. I take cold showers in winter time and after a minute I enjoy being in the cold.

In some ways it acts also like a mindfulness moment. I assure you that you won't be thinking of anything else other than the cold water hitting different parts of your body and you won't remember benzos either!

Nice to hear you'll give it a try. Don't be discourage. Unlike exercise you'll see the results immediately.

Happy showers!

Mice

I don't have a heart issue (yet - it seems as if I'm getting everything else!).

Every time I take a shower, I switch it to cold (not all the way) after having it hot. However, I don't have the courage to start right off taking a cold shower. I'm trying to acclimate myself to it. But you're absolutely right - the crazy thoughts are gone while it's happening! :thumbsup:

[b4...]

yes,  jump directly to cold is a bit of a challenge "but" when you do it you get extra benefits. It has to do mainly with attitude against adversity. Two things that helped me was to control my own breathing first minute I'm in the cold. Just deep inhale and slow exhale. The second is to rub yourself all around and not stay still.

Terry, seeing your profile I noticed we had common symptoms. In my case it was extreme insomnia at the beginning but immediately I was invaded by Intrusive thoughts, DP DR, pulsatiel tinnitus and extreme anxiety. At the end of my first taper I got dizziness that gradually diminished during my three months off but the other stuff was still bothering me.

I'm on my final days of my taper, actually I could have jumped already.  I still suffer some of those symptoms although way less acute. Insomnia it's been gone long ago thanks God and the cold showers but the other stuff still bothers me some. I've been somewhat functional since my ordeal started three years ago. I was able to keep my job and do things. Very difficult at times but I did.

Are you still tapering? Are Intrusive thoughts or DP/DR still bothering you?

No, I'm long done with tapering. No DP/DR anymore. I still have intrusive thoughts and HORRIBLE health anxiety, vagus nerve dysfunction.

I think I'm going to just get the water colder each time I take a shower. I'll see how that feels, THEN try the full route of taking a shower entirely cold and see how I feel afterwards. The benefits sound like they outweigh the pain!! But yikes!!

Hello, I prefer taking a cold shower now. For some reason I feel more relaxed sometimes refreshing. Hot showers is ok but recently dealing with my anxiety during a hot bath i have trouble breathing. I guess it's from the steam or humid air and it triggers me. I got used to with cold showers. The cold tends to calm the nerves, it makes sense.