Forced inpatient hospitalization at 11 months during Coronavirus

[Ju...]

So two weeks ago I was hanging out at my place at the beach and there was a loud knock at my door. It was the cops and they were there for an involuntary commitment to the mental hospital. Four cops surrounded me and put me in handcuffs and took me in their Cruiser. They didn't have masks on during coronavirus so they were breathing all over me.

I have only been off my meds for 11 months and so they took me to the hospital and gave me coronavirus test and urine and blood test and had me talk to the doctor and nurses. They didn't believe me that I was going through withdrawal at 11 months off of my Klonopin cold turkey.

I kept explaining to the doctor and nurses that everybody is going through the same thing and it's definitely withdrawal, and they kept saying it's not and it's not possible to have it for that long. So then they were telling me it was my anxiety and they were trying to force me to take Ativan for my withdrawal symptoms. And then I was getting agitated so then they wanted to force it on me even more and I talked them out of it but they forced me to take Benadryl.

So then they gave me a big shot in my arm and they caused me to go into hallucinations for some reason and I had a bad adverse reaction. And then they were getting mad at me because I was telling them they made me even worse. So then they wanted to give me the Ativan and I had eight cops surrounding me in my room trying to force me to take their drugs. Luckily I didn't have to.

And then on my admitting paperwork at the involuntary commitment hospital, it said that I had opiate use disorder even though I don't take opiates. So they messed everything up and said that I was there for suicidal ideation even though I never had a suicide plan or anyting. And there was no opiates or benzos in my system. But they said that I had pill seeking Behavior.

So then I talked to one of the supervisors there and I said it's actually the opposite of what they put on there, I've been off of my meds for almost a year and there's no reason for me to be at the hospital, especially to put me at risk for Coronavirus. So they had to fix the paperwork and switch it to just my regular mental health diagnosis, PTSD and agoraphobia and bipolar 2.

And then I was forced to be around tons of people and go to groups and eat around people and have a roommate and all kinds of stuff during coronavirus and having a agoraphobia and going through severe benzo withdrawal even at 11 months. The stress was so high that it threw me back into acute.

So they messed up my withdrawal by all the stress and masks, we had to wear coronavirus mask the whole time. Doesn't make much sense because we were all eating food next to each other and had roommates sleeping next to each other in the rooms so the mask was pointless the rest of the time there and the police and nurses and doctors didn't wear them half the time.

So I was there for about 14 days and they pulled me out of my beach condo and brought me to the hospital and then discharged me with one sock and my paperwork and my shorts and my shirt and that was it. I didn't have my cell phone and they ruined me. They threw me back into my acute withdrawal somehow. But now it is starting to level out again. I'm wondering if they might have given me the benzo even though I said not to.

So these doctors at the hospital I went to and the nurses and cops there, they were really bad. They didn't believe me about benzo withdrawal being that long and being possible at 11 months, and they threw me back into a cute, they gave me a bunch of rules and told me to do a bunch of stuff that doesn't help whatsoever, just to discharge me to a hotel.

It's basically like I was kidnapped from my condo at the beach, imprisoned for a couple weeks, treated like crap, given shots and handcuffed and made to urinate and do blood tests and coronavirus test, and go through all kinds of stress and Trauma, just to be discharged with one sock to a hotel.

That's the mental health system in place. They don't even believe people about benzo withdrawal. I told them how there's lots of info on it online, and they just wouldn't listen to me and kept telling me I didn't know what I was talking about. So not only did they make things worse, they don't believe the benzo withdrawal community.

Did someone call the cops?

How did they get to know you were there, did something happen? I dont understand why they had that order / papers?

Did you miss to pay the rent or did someone hear you cry or something like that? I mean, dont get me wrong, they dont wander around looking for people to take them into a hospital, or do they (well, I think nothing is impossible on this planet..)

In such situations it is the best to play the stupid guy. I am sorry I have to say it, but its better to kind of surrender and play their game instead of trying to convince professionals that they are wrong, because in these situations they see a mentally ill person who OF COURSE says he or she is NOT mentally ill. I was locked in like a prisoner with a person for 3 days once and that lady thought I was an alien coming to get her. 7 square meters with her for 3 days. The only way to get out was to play the stupid girl in front of a doctor, manipulating to offer me the solution which was to allow me to go for a walk in front of the building where I was able to do a phone call and inform people that I was locked in. Totally illegal.

But I had to learn quickly and in these situations I can do that. It makes no sense to discuss with people who are operating in a system who bases on these diagnosis and pills. Its like talking to people who believe the earth is flat.

no matter what you have been given, - you have no choice. Back on track. Stay away from everything, your body will readjust, dont freak out. Are you homeless now? Can you go to friends to have a shelter?

For the next time, I would propose to prepare a story. "my best friend died last week and I am just so sad" works well, especially if you can turn it in the direction you simply need someone to talk to. Once you have "talked" to a professional inform them you feel like a weight is off your shoulders and if they have an idea if there are meeting for people like you out there.... and tell them, thank you, but after the conversation I felt so much better, I want to try it without meds first. The worst thing would be an antidepressant then, but not a benzo or a polydrugging combo.

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for your ordeal. Utter craziness. I hope you are alright and are stabilizing. I don't know what happened for the cops to come to your place and take you away, but I hope that you start feeling better and get back to stability and healing your traumatized brain.

Once again, though, we are continually reminded about the lack of education, training and care the "mental health" professionals and police have regarding benzodiazepines, anti-depressants and other pharmaceuticals. They are trained in bio-pharma: putting people on drugs instead of treating holistically.

Take it easy, get some rest, and please take good care of yourself. You'll get through this.

Leave it up to doctors to tell you that you aren't going through withdrawal - HA!!! Total ignorance, a total disregard for the sensitivities of the CNS, total naivete of what drugs can do to the CNS.

I'd like to know, too, how you ended up there. Who called the cops?

I'm glad you're back at home, but I'm so sorry you had to be with the police who weren't wearing masks and have a roommate and generally suffer indignities.  :'(

Well I ended up finding out that it was Trillium health oh, it is an MCO company in North Carolina. They are supposed to be helping me with housing, and instead thought I needed a higher level of care and put me in the mental hospital on involuntary status.

They were supposed to be finding me decent housing in my area, and I told them I would stay at my last place at the beach until they found me housing and I signed a lease. I told them I had two or three months left there and I couldn't be evicted because of coronavirus. They said well what if they try to evict you? I said they're not going to and they would have to physically remove me out of this place. Well they took that as risky Behavior and call the cops.

So instead of helping me out, they put me in a so-called higher level of care only for me to get no care at all and risk my health with coronavirus. And obviously that's not very good during benzo withdrawal. It made me feel like I was back in the first couple weeks of withdrawal. So all it did was ruin my mental health temporarily.

And then I kept saying I didn't want their meds and the doctor kept trying to force me to take them because he was like, I have to prescribe you something because you are here for mental health. I said you don't have to prescribe anything, I said I will be just fine I want to go back home. He said yeah well you can't just go back home. I was like why not I've been through this a million times at a million different hospitals. So then he got mad.

And then he started trying to force me to take lithium and I said I don't need anything at all. He was saying maybe it will help your mood swings. I said I don't have any mood swings I'm just upset about my housing and Trillium calling the cops. And then he started telling me he could force me to take it. I said I can refuse medication anytime I want, and he said well unless two different doctors say that you need it.

And then I tried to go for a walk because I was really agitated and then the cop told me I couldn't go for a walk and I had to sit still where I was. Well I went for a walk anyway and then the cop that my arm up behind my back and grabbed me really tight and the other cop threw my cup of water in the floor. And then he grabbed my other arm and put it behind my back like I was under arrest.

So then they physically forced me to go back to my bed and then surrounded me in my room and there was a nurse and a medical Tech and a bunch of cops and a needle with Ativan and a needle with Benadryl. And for some reason the Benadryl completely threw me off unless they were lying about what it was. And I had to beg them not to give me the Ativan. Or maybe they did give me the Ativan and it threw me back into acute stage. Because then I started hallucinating. Luckily it was only for a day.

Either way I was so out of it and delusional after the shot, I didn't do anything more and just played their game so that I wouldn't get any more medication. So then I just had to act like I was doing what I was supposed to at the hospital until two days ago. Then they discharged me but I didn't have my medication or my clothes or cell phone or anything.

And they discharged me to a different city, and put me in a hotel. So now I'm homeless at a hotel and don't have any of my clothes or belongings because that stuff was all at the last place. However, it's in storage now because my family got it. But, the mental health system ruined my housing and put me in a psych facility and locked me up like I was in prison. All instead of helping.

Basically they pulled me out of my house at the beach and kidnapped me and held me for medicaid ransom at the hospital. And then ruined my mental health and withdrawn and threatened me and gave me shots and stuck me with all kinds of needles and almost killed me with Coronavirus. Just to say that they were helping me. And threatening me and telling me that I have to take their meds. That's how the doctors are. That's how the nurses were also. Needless to say it wasn't fun.

And if all of that wasn't enough, they discharged me without my primidone and Propranolol, so then I had to go through barbituate and beta blocker withdrawal again. But then I got those two back and now I just have to go get my clothes and other belongings out of storage. And now I have to keep looking for housing. I told Trillium screwed everything up and made my mental health worse.

Okey, I am really sorry this happened to you. But I would like to focus on being pragmatic, you need to work with the little energy you have left.

Regarding the Coronavirus try not to worry about it. If nothing happens within the next 10 days, you don't have it. If you have it, we will focus on that but only if it really happens.

I have been put on and off meds in hospitals like a a rollercoaster and I feel very good right now. The problem with injections is that they work much faster and this alone can reave up the system, just the push which comes too fast.

Although it might feel like the world is ending now, you will persist and this is temporary. You have your goal, - stay away from meds. Try to find a safe place to sleep and to rest.

I know it is hard, but I learned not to argue with people and authorities when I felt hurt and lost, because it just makes things worse and your energy is gone for nothing. So try to shift the anger and use what you have left to find a safe place to be. It is extremely hard and unfair but I had to start from this point several times and as I said, you need your energy for yourself.

Do I understand you correctly, you have a place to stay in that hotel for now? That is good, so you can eat and try to calm down. Nothing good happens when we try to find solutions or a home in what I call mentally overwhelmed mode... I saw myself last year how I was behaving ... god... not good.

Sendung you some power vibes!

Absolutely, staying calm is the best choice always. Right now I am in a hotel through hotels for health through Trillium and it's funded by FEMA. It is a federal program for people getting discharged for whatever reason and maybe even just for homeless people in general I'm not sure.

Problem is, they called me on my hotel phone this morning and they said they can't pay for it because I'm part of the tcli program to get housing and that program is supposed to pay for the hotel and not them. Well, I said they told me they don't have money for hotels so I would have to pay for it myself.

So right now I am in a hotel but I might have to leave this morning while going through withdrawal and not have anywhere to sleep again like in Colorado. And then I'll have to go find an Alleyway or something so that I don't get loitering or trespassing charge somewhere.

But homeless shelter is not accepting people because of covid-19 so that's not an option. So hopefully they can work something out so that I have a place to sleep otherwise I will be camping outside again like I was a couple years ago.

All I have is some pizza because I have my stimulus money but that's it. These mental health people said I needed a higher level of care when I was doing just fine down at the beach and now I'm in this predicament because of them. They never had a good reason to admit me in the first place.

Basically they kidnapped me out of my good place and help me for a couple weeks and then dropped me in this place and told me they're not going to pay for it and they consider that helping.

All I can say is oh my God....I am surprised but not surprised at this story. holy crap. I am so sorry. I've been wondering about you as I haven't seen you post lately. So sorry.

Marigold is right - its all how you conduct yourself. If you are the slightest bit "non-complaint" it has bad results. Where I live has somewhat decent mental hospitals, but I still remember I had to scheme to get out quicker..act how they want and tell them what they want to hear.

That was awhile ago, but boy this thread brings it all back.

"I am safe. ...it is in the past....I am free...breathe..."

Yeah these Mental Hospitals are more like prison but they're actually worse than prison. In prison you can play cards and talk about random things and nobody really gives you crap about it. You're free to pretty much do whatever you want. Of course you have to be around some shady individuals but at least you don't have to be around people forcing you to take things.

With Mental Hospitals, it's like you're being punished when you didn't commit a crime in the first place. You're just being punished just because they want you to act a certain way and fit in with Society. They want to be on a power trip.

I think it also depends on what state you are in ....medical systems are handled differently everywhere unfortunately. Just my opinion...

Hey Justin, sorry for your ordeal. I went through something similar while on benzos...right after crossing over to Librium from Klonopin.....and crossing over from phenibut to baclofen.....I was on kratom too because I used it to quit Suboxone.....I was also on gabapentin. I was involuntarily committed by people on a power trip like you....by people who enjoy being in control of others who are going through precarious life circumstances....some are sadistic as unbelievable as that may seem. Some people who are supposed to care for the mentally ill rather harm them.

Once the cops arrived to bring me to the hospital they had their hands on their tasers and guns the entire time as if I was El Cucuy and I was barely responsive, motionless and in shock from the confusion of what was happening.

By the way, the shot that they gave you was probably a combination of 50mg of benadryl,  5mg haloperidol,  2mg lorazepam. They jokingly refer to it as the B52 bomber.

JustinTime, you have mentioned your supporting family before, why can't you be there until you find an own place to live?

JIT, it sounds like you're certainly being abuse by the system.  Maybe you can go buy a cheap tent at Walmart and go find a camping ground to stay in for a few days until you figure something?  So sorry.  Apply for SSDI as soon as you are able to?  Call an attorney who specializes in disability cases and it shouldn't cost you a cent.  That's what I did.   

Hey Justin, sorry for your ordeal. I went through something similar while on benzos...right after crossing over to Librium from Klonopin.....and crossing over from phenibut to baclofen.....I was on kratom too because I used it to quit Suboxone.....I was also on gabapentin. I was involuntarily committed by people on a power trip like you....by people who enjoy being in control of others who are going through precarious life circumstances....some are sadistic as unbelievable as that may seem. Some people who are supposed to care for the mentally ill rather harm them.

Once the cops arrived to bring me to the hospital they had their hands on their tasers and guns the entire time as if I was El Cucuy and I was barely responsive, motionless and in shock from the confusion of what was happening.

By the way, the shot that they gave you was probably a combination of 50mg of benadryl,  5mg haloperidol,  2mg lorazepam. They jokingly refer to it as the B52 bomber.

That sounds so. Scary!!

Glad you survived it  :thumbsup:

Hopefully they didn't give me all of that medicine when they told me it was just Benadryl. All I know is they gave me a really hard time and tried to control me and harass me the entire time. They were on a serious Power Trip, not just a little one, but a major one like the cops.

And no, they are not putting people in beach houses. I wish. In fact, they put me in the most ghetto hotel that there was in my city outside of the beach. I had to go in land to the worst area in the city, surrounded by prostitution and drugs and alcohol and violence.

Anyways, a social worker came over yesterday and I was asking where I'm supposed to go when my money runs out at the hotel that I'm spending my stimulus money on right now. She said you might have to buy a tent and go to a campground just like you said. Problem is, they cost money.

I camped out when I lived in Denver, but then everybody started getting moved. It's not allowed anymore. And here in North Carolina, you will get charged with trespassing or loitering very quickly if you do that. I'm not trying to get any more charges for being homeless.

And if you do camp out, you still have other things to worry about like where's the bathroom and shower? And if you get caught using the bathroom when you're not supposed to, that is indecent exposure. And then you can get a charge for that and have the same rules as a pedophile. So you might not want to camp out unless you know what you're doing.

Anyways, the cops dropped me off at the mall and told me it's not their problem and wanted to verbally abused me, and search me and talk down on me while I'm going through benzo withdrawal. Trillium did not pay for my hotel like they were supposed to.

Now I have contacted every single branch of government and told them about what was going on. Because during coronavirus, you have to have housing somewhere just like any other time. Problem is, the shelters are shut down. You can't stay at the shelter, and obviously people don't own land for homeless people to sleep on, so that brings major problems. I only have another day at this hotel. And then my stimulus money will be out.

So I might be dodging cops and sleeping on the street and in Alleyways during benzo withdrawal very shortly in the middle of the Summer where it's hot and humid and dirty and have to suffer during withdrawal and homelessness at the same time during coronavirus. All because of the mental health system

I ask again: What about your family? You said your family was supporting you. Did you call them? Can you go into the area they live?

What happened to the condo you were living at?  Justin, I am so sorry for all that you went through with the mental hospital and the cops.  It really sounds traumatic.  Be easy on yourself. 

JIT, call your local county assistance office, CAO, or go visit them and tell them your situation. They have emergency cash they will give people in my state who need it to help them until they can get some regular assistance money. 

Thanks guys. Sorry I didn't answer the question marigold. My family was helping me with a winter rental at the beach because it was really cheap. So whenever the cops pulled me out of there and brought me to the hospital, got ruined my chances of getting anything affordable.

So my family did not want to help out with a hotel because it is extremely expensive and they are not rich. But they did help me out for a week, so right now I'm okay. And I have been in contact with social services and Trillium and the nonprofit groups and emergency money groups.

So I'm also waiting on signing a lease down the road, near my parents place. I think it will work out, but it is cutting it close to my week being up. And the shelters are closed, so the literal street is the only place for people to go, or under a bridge or in the woods, and risk getting trespassing charges.

Problem is, when the cops dropped me off at the mall the other day, they gave me a trespassing charge when I wasn't even trespassing. I was at the hotel like I was supposed to be after discharged from the hospital, and I left the hotel with no problems or drama, voluntarily when the cops asked me to.

But when I got to the mall, they wrote me a trespassing ticket regardless. But they have body cameras and I was on the phone with dispatch while they were at the hotel, so when I go to court and a couple months it will get dismissed. At least I hope so. But now I have to go to court during withdrawal also.