new here,need help with math and other details

[ca...]

Hello! :)

I'm new here and I need some help.I hope I don't ask stupid questions,sorry,I'm new to this ;D

I have been taking rivotril(klonazepam/klonopin) for 9 months.The first 4-5 months I took 1/2 of 0.5 mg tablet three times a day.After that,I got rid cold turkey of the night dose and half of the afternoon one.

So my current dose is: morning- 1/2 of 0.5mg and afternoon 1/4 of 0.5mg.

I felt totally fine.So I tried to cold turkey the rest of the remaining dose,starting with the afternoon dose,but it's not working anymore.I have palpitations,tinitus,gastric reflux,anxiety.I only 'survived' a week without the afternoon dose.I tried twice to get rid of it,to no avail.The second time I couldn't sleep because of palpitations and tinitus.

I really want to quit rivotril because the side effects that it gives me are nightmares and vivid dreams EVERY night,so I cannot rest :o Plus,it doesn't seem to help much with anxiety.(before I was on ativan/lorazepam,but my doc decided to switch it for fear it might give me dependence.Yeah,great choice,doc ::) )

Now I want to turn to liquid titration,because the pill dose has gotten extremely small,very hard to cut, and I don't have money to buy a scale for dry titration.

I have a few questions:

Math:

1.do I need to dissolve in the liquid all my dose for 1 day,or just the afternoon dose for example?(so I start tapering off with the afternoon one?)

2.how much liquid do I use?for such a small dose of 0.5,do I need to go with 100/200 ml?

3.I take out with the syringe the amount I throw away,right?

4.can someone help me out with an example(table)?

Liquid:

a.milk or water?

b.someone on a blog said that her rivotril pill took 24 hours to dissolve in milk?! :o if I make dust out of the pill with a mortar and pestle,wouldn't it dissolve a bit faster?

c.if the above 'duration' is true,that means I have to prepare the solution 24h before and keep the milk in the fridge so it won't spoil?

Observations: If it matters,I'm also on 10 mg of escitalopram  and 10 mg beta blocker(propranolol)in the morning,and at night I take 10 mg beta blocker,7.5 mg mirtazapine.I've been on psych drugs for over 2 years.

Hi, the resource that was posted is by CAgirl a good one. I do something slightly different than that, and I'm not advocating for any one method. This is just what I decided works for my Klonopin taper.

First, you can take your day's dose in all liquid or a mix of liquid and pills. It's up to you. I have a bunch of 10ml syringes that I got for free from a drugstore plus a 30ml syringe that I bought from a pet store, and I have a pill cutter with a razor blade in it that makes clean cuts.

I use a solution of 50ml liquid for one 0.5mg Klonopin pill. I start with 2.5ml vodka (I have a 2.5ml line on my free syringe that's easy to read) and dissolve the 0.5mg pill for a few minutes. Then I add 47.5ml water. I know a many people use a 10ml to 1mg solution, but for my brain moving the decimal point 2 spaces works better than 1 for some reason. So I came to use 100ml per 1mg.

I used milk between 1mg and 0.83 mg of my taper, and found it was a little less convenient than vodka, but I believe it worked. I did use a mortar and pestle at first but then decided it didn't make that big of a difference, and I don't remember how long it took, but I was probably working a day ahead anyway, measuring out doses.

Whether you want to make daily micro cuts or more periodic cuts is another question, but doesn't affect how your solution is made up. When I got to .75mg I decided I wanted to "cut and hold" all the way to the end, so I don't use any spreadsheets anymore. I just pick an amount and pull that from the syringe. You don't have to throw anything away. I calculate what I want my dose to be and I consume that and leave the rest for the next day.

As an example, your current dose is 0.25mg in the morning and 0.125mg in the afternoon, a total of 0.375mg. If you wanted to make a 10% cut from there, you'd take 0.3375mg, although if it were me I'd just round up to 0.34mg. You can do this by taking your 0.25mg in the morning in pill form as usual and 0.09mg in the afternoon as a liquid. This would equal 9ml of liquid at a 100ml to 1mg concentration.

Good luck!

Oh, I don't know anything about the other medications you're on, but just wanted to say good luck and you can get off Klonopin!