Author Topic: Newby Group-  (Read 1034 times)

[Buddie]

Newby Group-
« on: June 14, 2020, 04:36:59 pm »
I wanted to start a group for those of us who are totally new to this experience.  I was prescribed for a short time for sleep during a quick illness.  My body became quickly dependent.  I quit CT.  How are you all holding up. I'm in my first week.  First three days were horrible. The past two days I've been a bit functional.  However, my definition of functional includes taking a shower, helping with 1-2 chores and maybe driving the kids somewhere. 
These are my current symptoms:  slight burning on arms and legs,  slight twitching in feet,  legs feel heavy, dryness in air passages, a bit of lacking apathy, intrusive thoughts here and there, fast heart rate,  and TOTAL INSOMNIA. 
I'm happy we have this forum. We can look up to the people before us and read success stories. We can also hold one another up as we go through this. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Newby Group-
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 06:42:14 pm »
Thank you for this group!

I was prescribed Xanax + Lexapro for anxiety and depression in April but after 4 days taking them I stopped with no problems because I didn't like how they made me feel.

I had another wave of depression and anxiety now, hysterical crying and I was inconsolable thinking I will die. So my therapist and dad forced me to take a bit of Xanax, not warning me about the WD.

I took around 1.5mg over 9 days, with 0.125 most days and twice 0.25. I was supposed to take 0.25 twice a day but I wanted to go on the low end so I made my own schedule. I began feeling bad pretty early after every dose so I tried to taper and then CT. Doc doesn't think I used long enough to call this a CT.

My current symptoms are: cog fog, "brain feels swollen", pressure headaches, apathy, mania, restlessness, voice changes, tingling in face, changes in taste and smell, vivid dreams, intrusive memories, anxiety x100 times worse, panic, leg pain.

Hope we will get out of this hell supporting each other!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:32:15 am by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 07:58:36 pm »
I'm so sorry that you are going through this.  Doctors are just prescribing these medicines not knowing how horrible they are.  I was prescribed because I was sick with the flu and was having trouble sleeping.  I would have just fought through the flu pain if I had known I would be in WD.  If my symptoms do not improve over the next few weeks, I don't know how I will go back to work in August. So I'm stressed.   My current symptoms do not include any anxiety because I didn't have anxiety to begin with. 
These are my symptoms:
-airway passages/eyes so dry- hurts to breath
-heavyness in legs, feet sometimes twitching
-some intrusive thoughts (these were bad the first two days)
-burning feeling on skin (arms)
-Stomach hurts a tad
-I started my period today and my symptoms seemed hightened
-I've lost some feelings- I usually cry at the drop of a hat but I'm kind of Blank ( I still love my kids and husband...but I just feel blank)
-Horrible Insomnia 
I have reached out to some folks and they say the beginning is hard but it will get better as time goes on.  They also had some advice.  Food seems to trigger- so I have started just eating clean foods with lots of water.  They said supplements and other medicine can make symptoms worse, so I've stopped those. They said not to drink anything with stimulants No alcohol and No coffee- so I've stopped those. 
I am also going to start tracking my symptoms in the tracking log on this website.
Is there anything that you are doing that is helping that you could share with me? 

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 01:28:23 am »
How did you do today? 

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »
Hey [...] and every other newbie here, how are you feeling?

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 12:28:50 am »
I feel like we must be the only two newbys here.  My symptoms have not gotten worse or better.  Mostly physical.  My biggest complaint are the dry cough/tight chest, heavy legs, swollen front brain, and insomnia.  How are you WD symptoms today? 

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 01:17:40 am »
Blood pressure goes crazy, breathing is still weird, TMJ pain and hands go numb, but the swollen brain seems to subside. But the blood pressure changes make me feel nauseous and I do get small anxiety attacks :(

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 02:10:08 am »
It's interesting how some WD symptoms go away and others pop up.  I noticed my heart rate is up too

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 11:39:24 am »
Hey all,

Figured I'd chime in. I'm still relatively new at this (I'm a little over three months out, which I'm now learning can still be early in the journey). Withdrawal symptoms definitely wax and wane, but it does get a little better each week. I try to measure my successes that way, because the ups and downs of each day can be too much to keep track of sometimes. The first symptoms to subside for me were the worst, throbbing headaches, bad tremors, etc. Once past  that I just have to battle the ins and outs of feeling wired, anxious, and whatnot. Not to say that's all there is or that it isn't bad, but I'll take it over shaking and worrying about dying every second like I did in the beginning. Just accepting the situation and taking each day as it comes can work wonders in just surviving mentally. Accepting being uncomfortable for a while and knowing it'll be worth it in the long run. That's basically where I am. Just wanted to offer some hope that it's not quite as bad at 3 months as it was in the first couple of weeks. Hang in there!

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 11:57:53 am »
Hi THere,  THanks so much for joining.   I would say 3 months is pretty new.  Thanks for sharing your experience and knowing things wax and wane.   It's also great to hear that things are improving for you day by day.   I was supposed to go back to work in August, but things are becoming very clear to me.  I need to focus on my recovery!  Have you been able to work through this? 
I do have one celebration to share.  My sleep seems to be improving.   I was able to sleep fo 6 hours and only was interrupted once in sleep.  I also remember dreaming.  I head this is a good sign.   I still do wake up jittery.  It's nice knowing that the first couple of weeks can be the hardest.
I have been doing a lot of learning this past week since I'm mostly in best.   For us Newbys I think its good to be really informed.  Many folks have had setbacks down the road during healing and after healing.  I have been thinking about how I will need to do lifestyle changes...probably for a lifetime to avoid these setbacks.   People have discussed that certain things have caused these setbacks 
Examples:  over-exercising, coffee/caffeine, sugar, gluten, overly stressed, antibiotics, illness, supplements, and the BIG on alcohol.  One person described a 6 month setback from using a tooth gel, which had alcohol in it.
I bring this up because I think us Newbys can really learn from those that have gone through this before us.